Spray lubricants getting too expensive. What are some alternatives?

Not too long ago I would stock up on Advance Auto Parts liquid wrench cans for lkke 2.50 a can with coupon code. I am broker today than I was then and can't see paying 7.50 a can for the same thing today. I have all these old cans with just a spritz left because I am scared to get rid of them lol. Kinda inconvenient when I have to soke the crap out of a bolt.

Are you guys just paying higher prices for the same stuff or do you have a different strategy?

Thanks.

You are seeing more mechanics using those plastic/metal self pressurizing applicators. What magic juice is inside is up to you. I imagine it may be tough to replicate something that evaporates at atmospheric pressure like Brake Cleaner. May be a suitable substitute for it.
1710097376214.jpg

You are seeing more mechanics using those plastic/metal self pressurizing applicators. What magic juice is inside is up to you. I imagine it may be tough to replicate something that evaporates at atmospheric pressure like Brake Cleaner. May be a suitable substitute for it.
View attachment 207684
Thanks. Brake cleaner itself is still very cheap per se unless I misunderstood the totality of your post.

I try to avoid buying stuff like this from the auto parts stores when possible. Its always marked up higher than any place else. Rural king has been my go to when stocking up on stuff like this. I know not everyone has a rural king in their area but even places like walmart have better prices on this stuff.

Not too long ago I would stock up on Advance Auto Parts liquid wrench cans for lkke 2.50 a can with coupon code. I am broker today than I was then and can't see paying 7.50 a can for the same thing today. I have all these old cans with just a spritz left because I am scared to get rid of them lol. Kinda inconvenient when I have to soke the crap out of a bolt.

Are you guys just paying higher prices for the same stuff or do you have a different strategy?

Thanks.
I mix acetone and atf as needed for fastener removal.

How broke are you that you can't afford $7 for a can of something that at least for me lasts over a year? Maybe give up one fast food lunch a year to make up for it?
Everyone has their limits... Even if he can "afford" it, he obviously doesn't want to pay for it. I'm sure there are things that you're unwilling to spend on because you think it's a waste or too much... Maybe a premium video service or a fancy steak or.. doesn't matter.. there's something in your life that you won't spend on but others would scoff at you for.

How broke are you that you can't afford $7 for a can of something that at least for me lasts over a year? Maybe give up one fast food lunch a year to make up for it? I avoid being totally broke by not wasting money. Strange way of thinking you have there.
Still make more than a great many but I avoid wasting money on things that should not have tripled in price in 4 years.

I don't even eat fast food. Hell I don't even eat lunch half the time.

A can a year? I use a can quarterly. I have numerous older vehicles and that just plain works for me overall.

Last edited:
I try to avoid buying stuff like this from the auto parts stores when possible. Its always marked up higher than any place else. Rural king has been my go to when stocking up on stuff like this. I know not everyone has a rural king in their area but even places like walmart have better prices on this stuff.
Concur, but the irony is that this stuff was cheaper at big box stores. Those 41% off coupons for advance auto are long gone.

Paying the price for, say a can of Liquid Wrench, is one thing - but when the can goes dead of propellant with more than 1/2 can left is what makes me mad. I had 3 different cans of Liquid Wrench do that - never buying another can. I think the Supertech works just fine and the cans spray to the end.

Paying the price for, say a can of Liquid Wrench, is one thing - but when the can goes dead of propellant with more than 1/2 can left is what makes me mad. I had 3 different cans of Liquid Wrench do that - never buying another can. I think the Supertech works just fine and the cans spray to the end.
Mine never did that. This must be the "upgrade" on the newer cans which made them double in price or so. 😒

I have like 8 cans of the older LW laying around with just a spray or two left and they spray with almost nothing left.

Thanks for the ST vote. I am probably going to go with the acetone and ATF mix mentioned above or this.

Back