Are U-Pull-It junkyards getting too greedy?

I have been treated like a thief at Walmart before and I’ve actually called out a “door bouncer” before. I had cheap beer and cat litter. 2 items. The guy in front of me had 2 packs of nicer beer and a cart full of groceries, and pet food. I politely asked why my receipt checked where he was allowed to pass. I explained I paid at self checkout with my CC. I was also on camera. They had no answer.

Point being, Walmart is still reasonably priced and there is no cover charge.
Honest question not just poking to start an argument BUT why is it considered by so many to be offensive that you’re asked to show your receipt? I carry that sucker in my hand as I’m leaving. If the greeter is not talking to someone else as I’m leaving I hold it up and ask if they wanna look it over. I think it’s only been once that they have.

Usable cars have gotten more expensive.
Salvage cars bring more money at auction.
It all trickles down and so yards need to charge more.
They'll know that they're exceeding what the traffic will bear when those doing shade tree work stop coming and the shops that used to call them have ghosted them.

I’m referring mainly to experiences with LKQ Pick A Part so maybe the independent ones are different. I can accept the $3 admission fee as they have a nice online inventory search function which you have to pay people to constantly update, as well as the convenience of the portable toilets. But it’s the individual parts prices that make going there less appealing.

I need an alternator and a/c compressor for an older car, both are seized up. The P.A.P. prices are $55 and $78 respectively. That includes the core charge and $10 and $16 for a warranty I normally would decline, but still, I found the same parts on Ebay for $35 and $31 respectively, shipped to my door. Didn’t have to spend half the day in cold windy weather and gallons of gas to get it either.

Not all parts are like that. I’ll be looking for a subframe next. That is $110 total, or $75 after core and without warranty at the P.A.P. Ones on Ebay are $350 to over $400 with the shipping. Regular junkyards also have them for $75 - $100 but are an even longer drive away. Not complaining, just making an observation
I just checked for salvage parts for the Ion. Star Parts called me with a price of 190 for used coil pack and ignition control module. I can buy brand new GM Delco from Amazon for 223.00. Made in USA.

Honest question not just poking to start an argument BUT why is it considered by so many to be offensive that you’re asked to show your receipt? I carry that sucker in my hand as I’m leaving. If the greeter is not talking to someone else as I’m leaving I hold it up and ask if they wanna look it over. I think it’s only been once that they have.
I do not mind showing my receipt. That isn’t my point.

I had a cart with a few items and was checked at the door whereas the guy in front of me was allowed to pass.

Back