Hertz Car Rental Fire sale Monday

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by fdcg27
CARJ said:
Car looses half it's value as soon as it leaves the lot
(for every mere mortal)

Does anyone still believe this old canard?
One gets tired of reading it.

Not only believe it, experienced it several times first hand.

Also take any brand new car then put it into any instaquote service and they apparently believe it too.

That's why if I get a car it's gotta be around wholesale or lower and I plan on running it into the ground. Selling it isn't really an option, trading it in very occasionally works out but usually can get the same deal with no trade.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
not seeing any great deals on their website near my zip code.

That's because there aren't any great deals, just fair, since they don't bargain I would wait

Well, you have my sympathies then.
Nothing in my sig would have had that kind of awful result when new.
The only way in which I could see an instant halving of value would be if one paid way too much for a car nobody wanted.
Even in the case of a car no one else wants, if bought with that knowledge then the price paid would reflect that so again no loss of half the price paid the moment one took delivery.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

The only way in which I could see an instant halving of value would be if one paid way too much for a car nobody wanted.

For sure on that and maybe if your considering a trade in allowance as being your "value"?

Regardless, even with my lowly Nissans, I could get more than half of what I paid for them without even trying as a trade in allowance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by GZRider
And again no sane person would brake torque or off-road a freaking Kona. But I want a Stinger GT2 AWD and with a former rental would be afraid of the forth and fifth laws of thermodynamics; 4) No good deed goes unpunished and 5) As horsepower and torque increase, responsible decisions decrease.

You brake torque whatever car the rental company gives you. It's just for fun, that's what they're for. When you're used to a much faster car, you tend to flog the rental. A friend of mine did off road a Jeep once, read the contract afterwards which said no off roading. They didn't know though because we gave it a car wash afterwards so it looked fine.

And this is why I would never purchase a ex rental car.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by tbm5690
I wouldn't touch a rental with a 10 foot pole myself...unless it was such a killer deal I couldn't pass it up.

Rentals are beat to heck and back. The vehicle would have to be really, really cheap and I mean cheaper than what they offer them for.

My father purchased nothing but ex Hertz rentals. He knew how to pick them, and never got a bad one. I'm going to have to admit he was right on one account, there can be value there, for those who spend the time to inspect carefully. He was also able to get the price down substantially from the asking price. One car in particular, he purchased for half MSRP, with about 25K miles. It lasted well over 200K. He even got the salesman to swap tail lights for better ones from another car.

However, times are different today. Hertz near me is not offering any significant bargains. In fact, their prices match local autotrader prices from private owners who garage their cars.

Last edited:
Guess some of you guys make a point, anything can offroad if you are determined, stupid, or drunk (on private property) enough; and drivers who own faster vehicles are generally going to be hard on slower rentals.

Our Camry was a rental, 2 years old with 30k at that time, fast forward 7 years and not a single issue. Just test drive it and do an inspection as you would on any vehicle, if it checks out you buy it, there are some pretty good deals out there.

Guess some of you guys make a point, anything can offroad if you are determined, stupid, or drunk (on private property) enough; and drivers who own faster vehicles are generally going to be hard on slower rentals.

While technically true, driving a vehicle hard doesn't really wear it out. Basically the brakes and suspension might wear out sooner but flooring it all the time doesn't really do much, as long as it doesn't redline and rental cars are always automatics anyway, it's probably fine for the engine which is why many report no issues with buying used rental cars.

And again no sane person would brake torque or off-road a freaking Kona. But I want a Stinger GT2 AWD and with a former rental would be afraid of the forth and fifth laws of thermodynamics; 4) No good deed goes unpunished and 5) As horsepower and torque increase, responsible decisions decrease.

You brake torque whatever car the rental company gives you. It's just for fun, that's what they're for. When you're used to a much faster car, you tend to flog the rental. A friend of mine did off road a Jeep once, read the contract afterwards which said no off roading. They didn't know though because we gave it a car wash afterwards so it looked fine.

You, Wolf359, need to get you head checked if you think it's okay to deliberately try to abuse someone else's property. Think of this next time you do that, that rental car you just brake torqued for two days because "it's what you're supposed to do with rentals", will be sold to someone who legitimately needs a car. Could be a single mom with kids, on elder parent, your grandma, really it could be anyone who buys that car. I'd feel pretty guilty on my conscience if I ever did that but I guess certain people don't feel a thing.

I have been working for enterprise for over 4 years and I will say I don't think I would consider buying anything other than an ex rental car. I have been very impressed with how modern cars hold up and any issues that arise with the vehicle gets taken care of immediately.

Word on the street has it that If Hertz cannot pay $500 million to its debtors by tomorrow then they are cooked.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Word on the street has it that If Hertz cannot pay $500 million to its debtors by tomorrow then they are cooked.

That has to hertz.

I saw one of the Hertz family yachts a few years back … But it's not a lucrative business anymore …

Originally Posted by buddylpal

You, Wolf359, need to get you head checked if you think it's okay to deliberately try to abuse someone else's property. Think of this next time you do that, that rental car you just brake torqued for two days because "it's what you're supposed to do with rentals", will be sold to someone who legitimately needs a car. Could be a single mom with kids, on elder parent, your grandma, really it could be anyone who buys that car. I'd feel pretty guilty on my conscience if I ever did that but I guess certain people don't feel a thing.

I don't rent out a car that often, but I also do it to my own car occasionally. Although it's not as serious as you're probably thinking. I think to really do it, you bring the rps way up and then let it launch. I think I've mentioned it before, you keep your foot on the gas and the other foot on the brake and you just floor one and let go of the other at the same time. When I said you, I was kinda referring to people out there in general. It would be naive to think that people don't do it. There's a probability curve of people that will baby a rental and ones that don't. Anyone buying a rental car should be aware that there were those out there that didn't which is why it's somewhat of a reasonable question to ask when buying a car and reflects the lower prices that they get.

Technically I think all that brake launching does is to put a heavier load on the transmission and brakes. Flooring the car all the time doesn't really wear it out, whether the car shifts at 2k or 4-5k, as long as it doesn't go past red line, you're not actually doing any damage to the car. You just don't expect people to baby something that they don't own. My tenants trash my rentals all the time and it gets a little murky as some of that falls into normal wear and tear. Normal wear and tear is much harder on a rental than on a car that someone owns.

I looked on their website this morning, but the prices are the same as they were last week for the vehicles I'm looking at (mid-size trucks). Anyone see any deals?

Originally Posted by Bryce
I looked on their website this morning, but the prices are the same as they were last week for the vehicles I'm looking at (mid-size trucks). Anyone see any deals?

I'm going to go there and see for myself. I need a car and maybe they will have what I need.

We bought a <1 yr old Ford Taurus from Hertz back then right after 911. It was not beaten and worn out, there are problems but are Ford quality issue (roof leak, broken plastic interior, etc). If you buy a good reliable model I think Hertz will be fine (i.e. stay with Corolla and Camry).

(for every mere mortal)

Prices would need to be much more aggressive to move me and looking there isn't any model they have for sale I would want.

How old are you? When was the last time you bought a used car? This hasn't happened since, probably 20 years ago.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
(for every mere mortal)

Prices would need to be much more aggressive to move me and looking there isn't any model they have for sale I would want.

How old are you? When was the last time you bought a used car? This hasn't happened since, probably 20 years ago.

For real. Depreciation seems to be pretty linear. Do you want the first half under warranty when everything is perfect and new or the second half when you're on the hook for repairs and driving around an outdated platform?

Back