Hertz Car Rental Fire sale Monday

I went to the Hertz used car sales lot in North Palm Beach yesterday. The salesperson mentioned that there was no "fire sale" just the typical cars for sale at their normal prices. Also a $799 dealer fee, a fee for on-site registration/title transfer and of course the 7% local sales tax.

Some of the cars were really priced correctly, a 4 cylinder turbo Jaguar XF was just over $20K with 30K miles. Purchasing one for that price is possible elsewhere, no question. But you'd probably have to haggle to get it down that low.

The Mustang GT's were less than perfect, priced about $27-$30K. With scratches, dings and wear typical of rental cars. The sole Camaro SS looked better than the Mustangs.

They had 3 bumble bee yellow/black Z06 C7 Corvettes. They were in perfect shape. $63K/12K miles.

Other cars looked exactly as you would expect. Low end cars looked less than perfect, and high end vehicles looked pretty sharp.

Unfortunately, nothing caught my eye, so I left empty handed.

Last edited:
A $799 dealer fee? That would have been the last thing I needed to hear, given the no haggle pricing. Must be a regional thing?

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Car looses half it's value as soon as it leaves the lot
(for every mere mortal)

Prices would need to be much more aggressive to move me and looking there isn't any model they have for sale I would want.

How old are you? When was the last time you bought a used car? This hasn't happened since, probably 20 years ago.

For real. Depreciation seems to be pretty linear. Do you want the first half under warranty when everything is perfect and new or the second half when you're on the hook for repairs and driving around an outdated platform?

He hasn't bought a used pickup lately....apparently.

Last edited:
Purchased 2 cars in the last 5 years from Hertz. One for my Wife and one for my daughter.

1. Prices are always/most every time far better then anyone around. If you look good enough you can find one still under factory warranty plus every Hertz comes with their own warranty. (things change so always confirm warranties)

2. As far as "rental cars" and people that discount the idea, well I got news for you, if you are one to buy a vehicle from any dealer or large outfit such as Carmax. You never know what you are getting. At least with Hertz, you do. An advantage of the Hertz is you get a late model vehicle at a great price and todays vechicles 20 to 40,000 miles is nothing, more so when bought at a great price and again, if you get one around 26,000 you still have the factory warranty.

3. In some cases I rather have a rental purchase, where others hate that idea, I like it. Why? being no one driver drives the car for more then a week or so you know that car has not been beaten by one abusive driver. A variety of drivers smooths the law of averages plus it gets regular maintenance.

4. One BIG disadvantage of a rental purchase is you will never know if the vehicle has been in an accident if that is something that bothers you but this also goes for buying from dealers and carmax as they sell a full mix of cars, fleet, rentals and some private. Of course a savy person can figure it out most times but the general public can not.
When you see "accident free cars" advertised you will see the word "reported" most ALL rental companies and many fleet companies are self insured, so if an accident, nothing is reported to an insurance company so nothing is recorded in a database anyplace, so nothing will turn up on any web service such as carfax regarding accidents.

5. Last but not least, Hertz dealers are like anyplace else. I have found some locations have better prices then others AND just like any dealer some still have old style pressure hounding sales tactics, yet some are downright good and when you tell them to leave you alone to look around, they respect that and leave you alone, if I am ever on a lot and they dont listen to me, I leave and sometimes I will tell them why.
SO bottom line, there are good dealers and bad in all groups and brands, though granted, Carmax is most likely to leave you alone on a consistent basis and I suspect why so popular but wow, you pay for that in the car price most times.

BTW I just bought a new/used truck (Chevy Traverse with tow package) this weekend for myself but ended up buying at a dealer, just the right price, mileage and exactly what I was looking for. We have been looking for just over a month. I found it on line so was pretty straight forward purchase though they tried to slip a $500 plus documentation fee in their when their website CLEARLY states the price includes it. Of course I caught the "error"
I was everyplace, Carmax, prices high found MANY with repaired accident damage, some with extensive rust underbody on vehicles with less then 40,000 miles on them. Hertzz near me didnt have anything and the sales staff hounds you. Past purchases at Hertz are from one further away.

We also bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited on line from Carvana the week before, BEAUTIFUL Jeep but returned it less then 4 days later. Photos online missed some paint missing from a fender and a small patch of bubbling paint on the front leading edge of the hood which I now find out is a FACTORY ISSUE with ALL Jeep Grand Cherokees. Corrosion on the alum hood where it meets with the steel supports of the hood for multiple, model years.
In fact Jeep would have repaired of replaced the hood but freak that and bought a 2017 Chevy Traverse with 5200 lb tow rating, 26,000 miles, Lus another 12 month/12,000 mile warranty bumper to bumper for less.
I LOVE the Traverse!

Last edited:
It's kind of a perfect storm of awfulness in this situation. If Hertz does take a turn for the worst and can only keep a skeleton crew on hand for sales, how do you sell vehicles when the auctions are closed and DMVs are closed?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
It's kind of a perfect storm of awfulness in this situation. If Hertz does take a turn for the worst and can only keep a skeleton crew on hand for sales, how do you sell vehicles when the auctions are closed and DMVs are closed?

I think dealers can still register vehicles on behalf of customers, at least they can in CA. I believe it is an electronic process, but I could be mistaken.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Update:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...s-hit-new-filing-casts-doubt/3113290001/

Looks like Hertz may very well be headed towards Chapter 11. If this happens, I think it is safe to expect them to have more cars for sale. However, it is hard to say whether this will have a significant effect on pricing.

It should be noted that Carl Icahn owns about 39% of Hertz shares. With his history of gutting companies I am not positive on the future of Hertz.

I think dealers can still register vehicles on behalf of customers, at least they can in CA. I believe it is an electronic process, but I could be mistaken.

That's the way it currently is in NY as well. Only dealers can get this done.

Originally Posted by JTK

Many auctions are still open.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
There are some pretty good deals on Infiniti QX60's:

https://www.hertzcarsales.com/certi...X60-2d7adbb80a0e0a170c726414ed4a3f5f.htm

This one is a 2019 QX60 Luxe with 30K miles that is listed for $25.5K. KBB shows a private party value of $32K.

Yes, I noticed the QX60's too. Thats the most attractive value I see they have, too.

Not very good for Mercedes, mostly base model cars and lower end ones. They have an AMG on there, but it's a CLA45 AMG.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Word on the street has it that If Hertz cannot pay $500 million to its debtors by tomorrow then they are cooked.

The Hertz next to work is a ghost town looking area. No one cleaning cars or servicing cars. Seeing least 12 truckloads of cars leaving daily as well

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Filed for Chapter 11 today.

Over 100 years in business … Can't go on without revenue stream …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Filed for Chapter 11 today.

Over 100 years in business … Can't go on without revenue stream …

You would be surprised at the amount of businesses...and indivduals that would be devasted with out cash flow for only 30 days.......

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

You would be surprised at the amount of businesses...and indivduals that would be devasted with out cash flow for only 30 days.......

Absolutely.

Even if they're aren't immediately devastated, they're going to make potentially devastating moves because of it.

Back