Here's something that could happen, and ruin your day, lol!

One day I'm doing work under my '07 Grand Cherokee, it has remote start. I have the keys in my pocket, and roll a certain way that the remote start button gets pushed not once but twice, it takes 2 pushes to engage the remote start. I heard the beep, jumped up and cancelled it! If not the engine would have started. Now I had not drained the oil but, can you imagine if I had? So if you have remote start on your vehicle as many do, take the remote OUT of your pocket when working on the vehicle. Imagine if this happened after you drained the oil and were changing the oil filter! It doesn't seem likely but it CAN happen!

My father in law used to keep his keys in his pocket all the time. He would inadvertently lock and unlock the doors on his Sienna on a semi regular basis. If the window by his chair was open he could hear it beep and see the lights flash. More than once he called me about it. Each time I would explain to him what was causing it. Getting old sucks.

And for some reason it reminds me of inexperienced people doing brake jobs on Toyota Hybrids. They'll pull the pads and get distracted or something else. Next thing you know they're opening up the driver's side door for something which activates the electric brake booster to charge the brakes in preparation for driving.

Fun, fun cleaning up brake fluid and caliper pistons off the garage floor.

I had this happen to me. Car had no working fan. Car started and got the engine really hot before shutting off because no one had put key in for 15 minutes. I was unaware of this. I got in car where I thought engine temp would be cold but it was almost overheating. Got out to check engine and car door locked with engine running. Had to break a window.

I keep my keys on a carabiner and for some reason keep finding my truck locked--not sure how but I keep hitting that button. Not used to not carrying keys. When I'm smart I remember to remove before doing car work (which is to say, not often).

Interesting bit on the hybrids! did not know that. Sounds... annoying.

For a long time now factory remote start won’t operate with the hood open. How old is this vehicle?

edit: I see the model year in your post. Was the hood open? If it was then shame on Chrysler for not having that safety check in place.

That’s another reason I hate remote start. I don’t have anything but my phone in my pocket while working. And my wallet in the back pocket. My keys are on my belt loop or setting on the workbench at work. Must be aftermarket I have never seen anything that old have it.

I have a truck with aftermarket remote start and it will not remote start when the hood is open. There is also a remote start disable toggle switch which I switch off when performing any work. For keys I keep them on a hook outside the vehicle so they don't get accidentally pressed or locked in.

That’s another reason I hate remote start. I don’t have anything but my phone in my pocket while working. And my wallet in the back pocket. My keys are on my belt loop or setting on the workbench at work. Must be aftermarket I have never seen anything that old have it.
GM started factory equipping cars with remote starting in 06 or 07. Ford right about the same time. I’m not sure about Chrysler.

I don’t have remote start on either of my vehicles. If I did, I would do as I always do, leave the keys laying on the driver’s seat.

I leave the driver's window down and key in the door's arm rest or center console. Sometimes, I'll insert the key into the door lock cylinder. True story; there was ice on the driver's window so I didn't want to open it, instead, I left the key on the roof of the vehicle, so you know how the rest of the story goes. I heard it blow off as I was merging on the highway and the worst part, the vehicle is push button start and most of the time when the fob is IN the car it won't start and the KEY NOT DETECTED appers on the instrument panel, go figure.

Last edited:
Had a 17' Kia Sedona with a key fob. You could open the sliding door with it. I took the trash out one night when it was raining and the door was open. Keys must have hit it by mistake. I hate those key fobs. If I want the door open, I'll open it.

When doing any work w/ cars that have a fancy key fob, the key gets place on a box that is line with aluminum foil.

This removes any interaction between the fob and the :cool:car

Anytime I work on a vehicle where starting it can be a safety issue or cause engine damage (such as an oil change), the keys get thrown on the drivers side floor. That's a reminder to myself that I shouldn't be starting it.

I used to just leave the keys in the ignition, but I stopped doing that. I sometimes get sidetracked during an oil change (having 4 kids will do that) either while letting the oil drain or before adding the new oil after everything's buttoned up. I've come close to forgetting to put oil back in one time and since then the keys go into that "safe place".

Back