Here comes the MC FL-820S test...

Stop being so sensitive bro , and take a vacation . Some day you take my advice . It’s healthy. Don’t wait too long though lol . Peace out .
LoL ... don't worry about me, bro. And don't get "personal" or it might turn into another kind of vacation. ;)

I get that noise on my MGM (4.6-2V) once in a while on a cold start, no matter what brand filter I use.. It only has 39k miles on it so I doubt I am looking at an internal engine problem. Some filters are worse than others. I am convinced no one filter will make a 4.6 totally quiet all the time on a cold start. There was a TSB regarding this problem but it dealt with the exhaust which doesn't make sense. I don't particuliarly like the design of a 4.6 engine anyway.
Try a can of Liquimoly Hydralic Lifter lube. It really quieted my 4.6 with 160k on it.

An update-now it sat A WEEK without running, and didn't rattle on startup! Maybe there is something to these filters after all. I'll cut it open when I get 3K on it and see what's what.

Here come the Judge is stuck in my brain all day now. Here come da judge.

Good update, a week is a long time. Well Ford does test each part for functionality just like other car makers.

An update-now it sat A WEEK without running, and didn't rattle on startup! Maybe there is something to these filters after all. I'll cut it open when I get 3K on it and see what's what.
Could be the difference of how the oil is held back by the media. An oil filter can "leak down" through the ADVB and/or through the media - that's why some filters have an anti-siphon valve in the center tube. Could be the Motorcraft media won't allow oil to flow through it quite as easily as the Ultra.

Haven’t made 3K yet,but unfortunately the startup noise is back after 2 days or more. I’m going to try Magnatec 5W30 with the last FL820S & see how it does, but I’m sure I have a tensioner (& possibly chain) job in my future.

Back