Henry Kissinger passed away

A friend of mine’s grandfather graded his PhD thesis. A funny story was attached to that, I’ll mention below.**

I personally don’t agree with all his theories and actions; but there is no doubt he had an incredible, and almost uniquely “American life.” For those who don’t know all the details, here’ a link that goes from him being a Nazi refugee, to serious combat in the Battle of the Bulge, to valuable post-War army service, and beyond:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Kissinger

** The family story goes that at the time, Harvard had an unofficial thesis limit of 300 typed pages. Kissinger turned in a 600 page monstrosity. My friend’ grandad read to page 300, wrote “passed,” and wrote no further, stuck it back in Kissinger’s Gov dept. mailbox. Kissinger had some stress over it because he couldn’t find the result for some time. ;)

Now whether this was the exact happening, or the family story as remembered, I don’t know 100% as I was not there. But this is how the professor’s wife told it to me a long time ago.

Last edited:
I occasionally see historical topics discussed here at BITOG. He wrote an excellent work called Diplomacy, that covers the diplomatic angles of a lot of historical events in the last several centuries. Highly recommended.

The ultimate Statesman , while being a contradiction between good and evil.

‘Henry Kissinger is one of the worst people to ever be a force for good.’
By Nicholas Thompson, editor of newyorker.com and author of The Hawk and the Dove: Paul Nitze, George Kennan and the History of the Cold War

RIP

Last edited:
The penultimate Stateman.

By Nicholas Thompson, editor of newyorker.com and author of The Hawk and the Dove: Paul Nitze, George Kennan and the History of the Cold War

RIP
I don't think penultimate means what you think it means. It means next to last.

I remember him when I was a kid then teen. My dad hated the man. I actually had the curiosity to learn about Kissinger because as odd as it sounds I wanted to know why my dad hated him so.

Primarily I believe it was the so called womanizing- true or not

One of the most outstanding statesmen and diplomats of our time. Comedian Jackie Mason did a funny impression of Kissinger.

OMG, I forgot about that. One time in the early 90s, my girlfriend’s mom took us to dinner in some obscure, plain, but highly-rated restaurant in Chinatown (NY). She got excited because a celebrity was next to us in this no-name retaurant. I thought it was Kissinger and then she said it was Jackie Mason. LoL, I was young and stupid. I didn’t actually get to talk to Jackie Mason, but I did nod knowingly at him. ;)

Found it: here’s Jackie Mason doing Ted Kennedy and Henry Kissinger:
(No disrepect to Dr. Kissinger; if you are talked about, you are loved)

I don't think penultimate means what you think it means. It means next to last.

The bigger bombshell to me wasn't getting penultimate wrong for decades (I can remember the conversation I first heard the world ) is that I've had Ultimate wrong as well.

Ultimate means last.

OMG, I forgot about that. One time in the early 90s, my girlfriend’s mom took us to dinner in some obscure, plain, but highly-rated restaurant in Chinatown (NY). She got excited because a celebrity was next to us in this no-name retaurant. I thought it was Kissinger and then she said it was Jackie Mason. LoL, I was young and stupid. I didn’t actually get to talk to Jackie Mason, but I did nod knowingly at him. ;)

Found it: here’s Jackie Mason doing Ted Kennedy and Henry Kissinger:
(No disrepect to Dr. Kissinger; if you are talked about, you are loved)

I hope no one is put off by a bit of humour over the years, but I recall a comedian, who might have been Jackie Mason, where Kissinger was involved in a slow and deliberate negotiation in that dead pan voice of his. He was negotiating with his wife to get her to remove her clothing.

Last edited:
Met him age 10 , I remember his accent and unique look basically shooting 💩 with young mum at breakfast line in Cairo Egypt hotel. I wonder now if hitting on her as mum was 28.

The ultimate Statesman , while being a contradiction between good and evil.

RIP
So much time spent correcting definitions, most did not acknowledge your "contradiction between good and evil". In my younger years I, too, had the highest regard for him based on media coverage. To study about him in hindsight is eye opening. Brilliant people are very complex.

The bigger bombshell to me wasn't getting penultimate wrong for decades (I can remember the conversation I first heard the world ) is that I've had Ultimate wrong as well.

Ultimate means last.
As an adjective, yes. As a noun, no.

adjective
being or happening at the end of a process; final.
"their ultimate aim was to force his resignation"

noun
the best achievable or imaginable of its kind.
"the ultimate in decorative luxury"

So much time spent correcting definitions, most did not acknowledge your "contradiction between good and evil". In my younger years I, too, had the highest regard for him based on media coverage. To study about him in hindsight is eye opening. Brilliant people are OFTEN very complex.
Inserted a word. I agree, but an alternative twist would be, MOST brilliant people are often lacking in one or two areas. I have found, for example, many if not most very talented people couldn't bother learning just a couple social graces. And if they do, like Kissinger, some other flaw pops out, or is partially hidden.

Well balanced, truly brilliant people in all areas are very, very rare.

Back