HEMI Start-Up Tick

What would they have instead? Mechanical lash adjusters? AKA Solid lifters like a high performance 50s Chevy?

Edit: how many OHV V-8 engines, like the Hemi, have you worked on?
I figured it was like just a standard engine or something. I’ve worked on 4 Hemis and lots of V8 over head valve from different manufacturers.

It would be to your benefit if you stopped your incessant posting about things for which you don't have even the most remote knowledge. Perhaps people would then listen to the ones for which you do. Right now that's not the case.
I am just going by what I have heard. It’s kind of weird modern cars would have hydraulic lash adjusters but it’s rare they tick like the old ones. So I didn’t think they had them. I am pretty knowledgeable on most things people on here always want to treat me like I’m nothing. I’m happy to learn anything and this is one of the few times I am unknowledgeable about things.

Are you indirectly admitting to be an unskilled parts changer? :D
No I’m a mechanic lol. Mostly import stuff but I’m a mechanic. Currently doing road service on all makes and models of cars, trucks, big rigs, boats, small engines etc. I do know one thing is if a component fails you need to determine what made it fail not just replace something because you think it’s bad which is what a parts changer would do.

Ive narrowed down a loud knock/tick on my 2017 Hemi RAM...it happens like this:

If the truck sat, say overnight, then I start it just to move it a short distance (think: to the other side of my driveway), then shut it down....if I start it again within an hour or two, it will make a fairly loud knocking noise for 3 seconds at startup. Not a lifter tick, IMHO....its a deeper tone.

If I: drive it longer before shutting down (as simple as driving through the roundabout at the end of our street) OR I let it sit for an extended period again, the loud knock does not occur at startup.

I have no idea WHY it does it, but over on RAMForum it seems to be a common thing in this exact scenario. Im not sure if that is what the manual is referring to or not as a "short distance". There are theories as to what it is but I dont think anyone knows for sure (probably not even Mopar).

I experience the same thing with my 16 from time to time.

For the longest time I had broken exhaust manifold studs and thought I was hearing lifter noise, but even now that they are fixed I still get an occasional tick if I crank it just to move it then come back in a few hours and start it again.

I am just going by what I have heard. It’s kind of weird modern cars would have hydraulic lash adjusters but it’s rare they tick like the old ones. So I didn’t think they had them. I am pretty knowledgeable on most things people on here always want to treat me like I’m nothing. I’m happy to learn anything and this is one of the few times I am unknowledgeable about things.

Why would it be weird?

Flat HLA's first hit the domestic scene en-masse in the 60's as a replacement for solid lifters that needed frequent adjustment. Solid lifters were retained on some high performance applications because they were lighter and allowed for more aggressive lobe profiles.

By the mid 80's most of the domestic marques had decided to go with roller lifters, which were of course also hydraulic. OHC engines received HLA's as well, in different forms. BMW used hydraulic buckets in their cam-over-bucket setups while Ford used what looked like mini hydraulic lifters on the Modular. Pushrod engines like the HEMI and LSx engines continued to use hydraulic roller lifters.

The exception were some Japanese marques like Honda where the rocker rode directly on the cam and had an adjustment mechanism, which of course need periodic inspection and adjustment. Other marques that used cam-over-bucket used solid buckets that required shimming.

Why would it be weird?

Flat HLA's first hit the domestic scene en-masse in the 60's as a replacement for solid lifters that needed frequent adjustment. Solid lifters were retained on some high performance applications because they were lighter and allowed for more aggressive lobe profiles.

By the mid 80's most of the domestic marques had decided to go with roller lifters, which were of course also hydraulic. OHC engines received HLA's as well, in different forms. BMW used hydraulic buckets in their cam-over-bucket setups while Ford used what looked like mini hydraulic lifters on the Modular. Pushrod engines like the HEMI and LSx engines continued to use hydraulic roller lifters.

The exception were some Japanese marques like Honda where the rocker rode directly on the cam and had an adjustment mechanism, which of course need periodic inspection and adjustment. Other marques that used cam-over-bucket used solid buckets that required shimming.
Very good information. Thanks.

And how many of those V-8s had shim and buckets?

How many of them had hydraulic lifters?

How many had solid lifters?
I don’t think any of them had shim and buckets. A few may have had the hydraulic lifters
Solid lifters not sure maybe a few of those too.

Just curious, can post #5 by @clinebarger fully explain post #18 by @pantygnome?

If i understand this correctly, extended sitting is better than a short drive ... Doesn't a short drive get the oil moving at least vs. sitting for long? Maybe under one scenario there are more air pockets in oil which contributes to issues explained in #5? Just a wild guess.

"Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer."

So this ticking is a problem if you do those things, but not if you don't do those things. I guess the tick knows what you've been doing and proceeds to tick for different reasons.

Geez.

Do you think the engineering team ever even sees these manuals, or are they strictly written by lawyers that have never seen the engine?

Back