Help selecting a torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to start replacing the majority of my tools, and decided it would be a better idea to just start from scratch and buy everything new.

My first purchase is going to be a torque wrench, considering I don't own one at the moment. I think one within the 80-150 lb-ft range would be a good choice for most applications, but I'm not sure what to go for.

The drives are all different sizes (3/8", 1/2", etc.), and most of my hex sockets are 1/4"-3/8", but I will be buying new hex socket sets as well. Is there a particular brand anyone would recommend? Anything I can buy as a set (torque wrench and hex socket sets)? I think I very well might buy them online and have them shipped. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I need to start replacing the majority of my tools, and decided it would be a better idea to just start from scratch and buy everything new.

My first purchase is going to be a torque wrench, considering I don't own one at the moment. I think one within the 80-150 lb-ft range would be a good choice for most applications, but I'm not sure what to go for.

The drives are all different sizes (3/8", 1/2", etc.), and most of my hex sockets are 1/4"-3/8", but I will be buying new hex socket sets as well. Is there a particular brand anyone would recommend? Anything I can buy as a set (torque wrench and hex socket sets)? I think I very well might buy them online and have them shipped. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

How much money are you looking to spend?

I have been buying Snap On tools for a better part of the last 2 years to replace my craftsman tools, but I work on more cars than the average person

Thanks for the input. I haven't really got a budget in mind at this very moment, as I'm still looking around to get an idea on what they cost on average, but I'm looking to get something decent that doesn't cost a fortune. So nothing cheap and nothing too expensive, but something of decent quality to last a good couple of years. Wouldn't mind paying a premium for a really good brand though.

80 to 150 lb ft may be on the way to high side . Look at a torque chart to see what most of the size bolts you need the wrench for. You need several torque wrenches in low, medium and high torque ranges.

I actually have 2 torque wrenches
One is a 3/8 that does inch pounds and foot pounds
the other is a 1/2

If you need one to torque wheels back on go with the 1/2 drive

Thanks for the input.
thumbsup2.gif

Initially, I was looking at one for my wheels (which need to be torqued to 95 lb-ft). But now that I think about it, I reckon it would be a good idea to have a set of different ranges for other work as well - mostly brake jobs, maintenance and other mechanical repairs.

Mine are a little high on price, but you can find set from Snap On that isn't electronic for less money

Originally Posted By: djquik1
I actually have 2 torque wrenches
One is a 3/8 that does inch pounds and foot pounds
the other is a 1/2

If you need one to torque wheels back on go with the 1/2 drive

Thanks! Those look pretty cool actually, really like the digital display and that's a nice range.
thumbsup2.gif

Mine are a little high on price, but you can find set from Snap On that isn't electronic for less money

I see what you mean, taking a look at their range just now. I'm not really in a rush, and it'll take time to put a quality toolbox together. Although I would imagine an electronic one would be very handy to have.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

I see what you mean, taking a look at their range just now. I'm not really in a rush, and it'll take time to put a quality toolbox together. Although I would imagine an electronic one would be very handy to have.
thumbsup2.gif

The ones I have vibrate and beep at you when you get to 2% of your specified torque setting and make a mechanical click when you hit the target torque setting

I have Craftsman, CDI and Precision Instruments torque wrenches. The CDI and PI are better quality than the Craftsman, but they've all served me well.

CDI is owned by Snap-on and they make a lot of the torque wrenches for Snap-on including the tech angle wrenches and the std electronic. I have a full set of CDI electronic wrenches that are VERY good.

Precision Instruments also makes torque wrenches for Snap-on ( the split beam series) and they are also a very good brand. The good thing is that both of them can be bought for a lot less than the Snap-on wrenches.

The split beam PI wrenches do not need to be set back to their lowest setting when you are done (my Snap-on clickers need to be put back on their lowest setting before storage) which is an advantage but they will not torque a fastener that has left handed threads (the electronic or regular clicker types will).

It gets down to "feel" and what you need and are willing to pay for. I happen to prefer the electronic at times but will mostly reach for my SO clickers as I like using them, they are easy to adjust and rarely need to be fixed.

Last edited:
The Craftsman torque wrenches are not repairable, according to Sears and a third-party repair shop that I talked with. Mine worked fine for a couple of years up until the point something broke inside of it. It was just out of warranty and Sears basically said I was out of luck. I replaced it with a no-name brand from Northern that is almost identical to it. The repair company I spoke with said this one is repairable though.

If your looking to tighten lug nuts or easy to reach bolts get the Craftsman Beam style 1/2 Torque wrenches that are covered by their lifetime warranty and US made. If using to torque more critical, hard to get to places invest in a Snap-On.

Originally Posted By: Sunstealer
The Craftsman torque wrenches are not repairable, according to Sears and a third-party repair shop that I talked with. Mine worked fine for a couple of years up until the point something broke inside of it. It was just out of warranty and Sears basically said I was out of luck. I replaced it with a no-name brand from Northern that is almost identical to it. The repair company I spoke with said this one is repairable though.

Correct, the Craftsman are not serviceable and only warrantied for 1 year

Originally Posted By: defektes
If your looking to tighten lug nuts or easy to reach bolts get the Craftsman Beam style 1/2 Torque wrenches that are covered by their lifetime warranty and US made. If using to torque more critical, hard to get to places invest in a Snap-On.

Craftsman have a 1 year warranty on their torque wrenches......Why do you think I bought Snap On after having a pair of Craftsman for 7 years and one failed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back