Help Pick Oil for New SUV

I am in the minority but I use 5W-30 in my vehicles that recommend 0W20
same. i like how every toyota that i've owned says in the manual that if used in higher speeds or under load that you can use a higher viscosity. for my new 2021 4Runner, i dumped the factory fill when i brought her home from the dealer with only 76 miles on the odo and went with 10W-30.

I would probably just use AFE. Compared to TGMO it will shear less and half these vehicles will have TGMO for life.
I believe you're right about that. TGMO is supposed to start with a lighter base stock and therefore needs more (shear-prone) VIs.

Good luck finding Mobil 1 ESP. The same oil has been re-branded Mobil 1 Euro now.
Hmm, found one few weeks back, changed it in Atlas.
Current pds is from 2023 and still lists it as ESP:

ESP in 5w-30 is an excellent oil, no arguing there. Difference in NOACK is only about 2% so it's almost meaningless, 7% vs 9%.
Oil availability and price difference would play bigger role, imho.

I just bought 2x 5l jugs of QS LX on 45% off sale, never saw M1 price competitive in past year, at local stores.

Does you manual say, like every other in Toyota, that you can use different viscosity if heavy duty use?
Bcs. if so, well, Mobil1 ESP 0W30 or 5W30.

I was contemplating waiting for Grand Highlander with that engine, and that is what I would run.
Yes it says heavier oil suitable high speeds & heavy load conditions.

2023 Toyota Highlander 2.4 turbo & intercooler.
Haven’t found oil spec.
0w-20 on cap & in manual
Lots very short trips.
The shop we use is old & reputable.. They use M1 AFE 0w-20 & all Toyota Filters.
I plan change oil 5k / 6 months.

Would I gain much switching to M1 ESP X2
0w-20 or……?
I fail to mention this is my daughters car. She wants to use Toyota dealer ( not my choice). They us bulk Valvoline Advance 0w-20 as best I can find out. If it were mind & I could still change oil I maybe would us Mobil one esp 0w-20 or 0w-30 esp. What you guys thoughts on bulk Valvoline advance 0w-20?

I fail to mention this is my daughters car. She wants to use Toyota dealer ( not my choice). They us bulk Valvoline Advance 0w-20 as best I can find out. If it were mind & I could still change oil I maybe would us Mobil one esp 0w-20 or 0w-30 esp. What you guys thoughts on bulk Valvoline advance 0w-20?
Owner’s manual states ILSAC 6 0w-20. Heavier grade ok high speeds & heavier loads,

2023 Toyota Highlander 2.4 turbo & intercooler.
Haven’t found oil spec.
0w-20 on cap & in manual
Lots very short trips.
The shop we use is old & reputable.. They use M1 AFE 0w-20 & all Toyota Filters.
I plan change oil 5k / 6 months.

Would I gain much switching to M1 ESP X2
0w-20 or……?
All the suggestions so far are good with the ESP M1 being your top among the readily available brands. You could consider the new M1 AFE 0w30 as well, which has been reformulated recently based on new PDS. AFE 0w30 was not a favorite of mine as it would drop into a 20 grade quickly. Castrol Edge gets overlooked a lot but we've had some Castrol reps on the forum confirm the benefits of their startup wear protection through the use of their proprietary chemistry. Going further Amsoil 0w30 or HPL. Being it's a Toyota it likely won't make a difference at all.

Back