Help Me with Chrome & Search Engine

I've been running into issues with Yahoo as my default search engine. I can't stand it. I have gone to settings and deleted it as an option but soon thereafter it reappears and becomes the default without any input from me. How can I remove Yahoo permanently? I am running Norton anti and think it may be coming from that but not sure and not very tech savy.

first hit I got
"Why does my Chrome search engine keep changing to Yahoo? Your Chrome search engine keeps changing to Yahoo because it's infected with malware. To fix this issue, you have to reset the settings of your web browser. If the issue persists, you should delete suspicious programs on your computer."

not sure if thats true or not.

(1) Open Google Chrome and tap on the three-dot menu at the upper right corner. (2) Scroll down the Settings tab, and then click the Advanced button. (3) Scroll down to the Restore settings to their original defaults option shown directly below. Then click the Restore settings to their original defaults option

Do you have anything from Yahoo listed in Add/Remote Programs?

What does it say under chrome://settings/search ?

Yes, I do. I delete it from the avail search engines and set chrome as default and it ends up back to Yahoo without me making any changes. I think Yahoo is coming from an update form Dell or Norton. I believe Dell installed a McAfee and I deleted the program but it still pops up and wants me to subscribe.

Those are the issues I can think of that may be causal.

first hit I got
"Why does my Chrome search engine keep changing to Yahoo? Your Chrome search engine keeps changing to Yahoo because it's infected with malware. To fix this issue, you have to reset the settings of your web browser. If the issue persists, you should delete suspicious programs on your computer."

not sure if thats true or not.

(1) Open Google Chrome and tap on the three-dot menu at the upper right corner. (2) Scroll down the Settings tab, and then click the Advanced button. (3) Scroll down to the Restore settings to their original defaults option shown directly below. Then click the Restore settings to their original defaults option

That was my first few tries. Comes back.

Do you have anything important on this computer? Any special programs files etc. That you want to keep?
Do a backup of your files and take a note of program names to be installed afterwards and follow this process to reset windows.
It should get rid of all the extra programs that came with your computer as well as any malware or viruses you might’ve picked up.

Last edited:
Do you have anything important on this computer? Any special programs files etc. That you want to keep?
Do a backup of your files and take a note of program names to be installed afterwards and follow this process to reset windows.
It should get rid of all the extra programs that came with your computer as well as any malware or viruses you might’ve picked up.

That's what I was afraid of! Thaks for the advice.

I had to do a factory reset a few years ago because I got a random extension that wouldn't go away. It's gone now and I got a better antivirus. McAfee is garbage apparently

Yes, I do. I delete it from the avail search engines and set chrome as default and it ends up back to Yahoo without me making any changes. I think Yahoo is coming from an update form Dell or Norton. I believe Dell installed a McAfee and I deleted the program but it still pops up and wants me to subscribe.

Those are the issues I can think of that may be causal.

McAfee will default to yahoo if SafeSearch is enabled on McAfee.

Link to McAfee FAQ.

Personally, I would just get rid of any 3rd party AV program and just use Windows defender.

Last edited:
Back