Help Me Pick Tires For My 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: barlowc
. . . It reminds me a bit of the ExtremeContact DWS which is not available in my size.

If you're thinking about the DWS, then the Pilot Exalto starts to make more sense.

However, I'm not sure I'd drop a UHP tire on a wheel/chassis setup that is not set up to take advantage of it. The Exalto is right at the performance limit for a stock Altima.

I think you're on the right path looking at GT and GT+ tires. A better fit for that vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
If you're thinking about the DWS, then the Pilot Exalto starts to make more sense.

However, I'm not sure I'd drop a UHP tire on a wheel/chassis setup that is not set up to take advantage of it. The Exalto is right at the performance limit for a stock Altima.

I think you're on the right path looking at GT and GT+ tires. A better fit for that vehicle.

Yeah, I don't want to mess with the ride/feel. I like it the way it is. That's why these new PureContacts look appealing as a GT tire. I found some more information on them here.

This one isn't on your list, but take a look at the Yokohama YK580 . It's a Discount Tire exclusive though. Add to that they are newer and there aren't a whole lot of reviews in them.

I have 2 of them and plan on getting two more when the 2 old Falkens wear out. I'm really not the type to notice things about tires unless they are really loud, out of balance, or out of round, but these are quiet and have done well in the rain and cornering. Obviously I can't say for sure with only one pair. And they are rated for 60,000 miles.

Tires are a highly personal and subjective issue. Probably best to go with brands that you've been happy with in the recent past - although even that is a gamble, as I discovered with the Yokohama Envigors I bought in May... but that's another thread.

Personally, I've NEVER liked any Goodyear tire I've tried. In fact driving on them is usually a source of hourly frustration for one reason or another.

Granted that I've only ever driven on the OEM and entry level series (RS-A, GA, ComfortTread T-rated Integrity, Regatta ...) not the tires that go on Corvettes or CTS.

I'm sure the philosophy applied to Goodyear's high volume tires is the product of detailed consumer pannel and feedback research and not any technical limitations. Nevertheless my values and priorities are different from the typical consumer so I avoid any Goodyear model that's remotely within my budget.

The older Altima I bought last spring came with T-rated ComfortTreads. To be fair, they were quite far along in their treadlife which would excuse the skipping at highway speed in heavy rain. But tread depth is not a factor in dry condtions, it cannot excuse sliding to stops from fairly pedestrian speeds or wheelspin at 2200 rpm from a 4-cylinder family sedan.

Last edited:
I was really leaning toward the Altimax HP based on positive reviews from people who sound like they're on the same page with me (and reading between the lines of those who are not).

Aside from the fact they were on back-order at every shop I called, I was also held back by the fact that these tires are the lightest tires on the market in that size.

I don't know the condition of the infrastructure in your part of Michigan, but where I live the roads have degenerated into a moonscape of humps, folds and jagged craters which made me hesitant to go with what seems to be a very thin sidewall tire.

The other thing I have hard time believing is the people who say they get good winter perfomance out of them. Tires with these long, smooth diagonal channels are known to pack up with the kind of heavy, wet snow we often get in the Great Lakes area unless it's a specific winter compound with lots of extra sipes. Wouldn't hold me back since I already had winter tires, but I'd have reservations about driving the HP's in our kind of winters.

Two days ago I had Michelin Primacy MXV4s put on my 2011 Sonata. 205/65-16 H-rated. Very quiet, very smooth. Only have about 30 miles on them so far. Any new tire will be better than the tires that just came off, so time will tell.

The original tires were Kumho Solus KH25s...and were unimpressive. 31,000 miles and they were done. They were very noisy and rough riding during the time I had them. Despite being rated as a grand touring all-season tire, they were downright scary in the winter.

I put General Altimax RTs on my previous 2006 Chevy Impala. One of the worst tires I ever purchased. Luckily they only lasted 24,000 miles. Replaced them with Goodyear Assurance Touring from Sam's Club and never looked back.

When it comes to tires, the old adage "you get what you pay for" really does seem to be the case. I have had tires from most of the major brands (Cooper, Pirelli, Goodyear, Michelin, BFGoodrich, Bridgestone, Kumho, General.) Goodyear, Michelin, and BFGoodrich would be my top three preferred brands at this point. Kumho and General would be the bottom two.

As Darris said, tires are a very personal decision. It all boils down to what you are comfortable putting on your car, what you need them to do, and how much you are willing to spend.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
PureContact is not available in his size.

I believe they will be, when they come out next month. Currently, TireRack returns them as a result when I plug in my year/make/model and shows 215/60R16, even though the Other Sizes tab only shows 215/60R15 95H and 205/50R17 93V.

Some of the information I found says, "PureContact will be available in 27 sizes — 26 of which will be available in 15- through 18-inch wheel diameters, with section widths from 195 to 245 mm and in 40 through 65 aspect ratios."

PureContact is not available in his size.

Yes it is, but there are fewer than 12 in stock.

I had my wheels off earlier to inspect my brakes, so I took a good look at the tires. The tread is in better shape that I thought, so I should be good for another winter.

DSCF2039.jpg

That gives me time to wait for the Continental PureContact to come out and some reviews to come in. It also gives me plenty of time to watch for the best deal possible on whatever tires I decide on, even if I pick them up early and keep them in the basement for a few months before I get them put on.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Stay away from directionals like the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. I'm running directionals now, hate them. You cant do a 4 wheel rotation, only front to rear on the same side. That may seem ok, but no car is perfect, you get uneven wear fast. While directionals are nice in rain, pure terror in snow.

The Primacy MXV4 would be my choice.

+1 I also have diretional tires on my Sentra and will be replacing soon with the Primacy MXV4 the noise from the directional tires is unbearable.

" While directionals are nice in rain, pure terror in snow."

Have you seen very nice Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D? They are directional winter tires. Apparently their desgners did not know.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss

Have you seen very nice Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D? They are directional winter tires. Apparently their desgners did not know.

Krzys

Same can be said about directional General Altimax Arctic - they handle the white stuff very well.

I have a set of Primacy MXV4 tires on my '99 Accord.
After about three years and 45K, they're wearing well and are still very good in the rain.
They are nice tires, but I'm not sure that they're worth the price premium over the Altimax.

I put the HP's on two of my cars this summer. Put them on my Buick Lucerne and was so impressed that I also put them on my fiero. Can't say anything bad about them, but I only have a few thousand miles on them.

Same can be said about directional General Altimax Arctic - they handle the white stuff very well.

True. However, in defence of the original assertion, remember that once upon a time, most directional tires were high performance summer only tires; hence, they were terrible in the snow.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: krzyss

Krzys

My Blizzacks are directionals and they are awesome! Anyways back to Altima's tires, you might want to put these in the line up: http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/motivo I'm going to put them on my Mini so far nothing but good things about them

OP Update: I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring. The deal was one that I just could not pass up.

I had our Saturn in for a rotation yesterday morning. The Assurance ComforTred Touring was already discounted. (I'm used to seeing it priced the same as the Michelin Primacy MXV4.) Plus, the tire retailer (i.e. Belle Tire) was running a $50 off “Anniversary” sale. And I applied for a Goodyear Charge Card and got an additional $160 rebate. So, for a set of tires that normally cost $690 installed, my net cost after discounts and rebates will be only $420!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back