Help Me Pick Tires For My 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just turned 52K on my Nissan and have started to think about new tires. The current tires are the OE Continental ContiProContact 94T 540 A A and despite not getting very good ratings in TireRack's survey, I've always been happy with them. The tread is still pretty good. I'm not yet down to the wear indicators but may decide that they've served their useful life and get new ones before winter and not take any chances.

The question is, what do I get? Size is P215/60R16. Cost generally isn't a concern. I'm comfortable and able to pay whatever it costs to put on the best. Tires are important. With that said, I do like a good deal and good value and don't want to pay a premium without getting something in return. My list currently consists of the following:

Michelin Primacy MXV4: They're rated tops in TireRack's Grand Touring All Season category. I put them on our Saturn a couple years ago and have been very happy with them on that vehicle. Regular price on a set from the local tire chain is around $670 installed and Michelin often runs a $70 rebate.

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring: They too are rated tops in TireRack's Grand Touring All Season category. The price is typically about the same as the Michelin Primacy MXV4, though at the moment seems to be running about $65 lower. Goodyear runs $80 rebates which you can double and turn into $160 if you get and use one of their charge cards which results in a great deal.

Continental ContiProContact: Like I said above, they're the OE tires and I've always been happy with them. But given their lower rankings, I do wonder if I'd be even happier with one of the higher-rated choices. They generally run around $550 and every once in a while I see a Continental rebate, but not as often as Michelin and Goodyear.

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S: It's a High Performance All Season tire and gets great reviews, including winter/snow use. The cost is just a few dollars less than the Michelin Primacy MXV4. I like the tread pattern but wouldn't expect to get as many miles out of them as a Grand Touring All Season tire.

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity: Gets a decent rating in the Grand Touring All Season category. Lower ratings in the winter/snow criteria. Maybe worth a look and consideration but unlikely to beat out the others.

General Altimax HP: Gets a decent rating in the Grand Touring All Season category. Has a pretty aggressive tread pattern. Price would likely be on the lower end. Another one to maybe look at for good measure.

Here's a comparison:

NissanTires.jpg

If I had to pull the trigger today, I'd probably lean towards the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring. After a $160 rebate, my out-of-pocket cost would be around $445. While price isn't the only factor, when you combine it with the high rating, it looks to be the best overall value and I'm sure I can't go wrong with it.

What do you all think?

I'd say the Altimax.
It would likely be the least expensive tire in this group and it seems to perform well.
I have a set of RTs on one car and HPs on another.
I've been very satisfied with them.
Not every user has been pleased with Goodyear tires as they age.
Search this forum for the comments of Goodyear Assurance users.

My vote is for Comfortreds . Have them on my Acura atm, very very nice ride with pretty good predictable traction and handling in dry and wet. Also worked just fine during the brief winter we had this year. And the rebate makes it a great deal.

Here is an idea, call around for a quote on comfortreds. Get the lowest quote, visit your local goodyear dealer, get them to pricematch and then get the 160 rebate with their charge card. You can get a [censored] of a deal that way .

Not the Primacy - I was looking at them and most comments were not all that great.

Stay away from directionals like the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. I'm running directionals now, hate them. You cant do a 4 wheel rotation, only front to rear on the same side. That may seem ok, but no car is perfect, you get uneven wear fast. While directionals are nice in rain, pure terror in snow.

The Primacy MXV4 would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: bourne
My vote is for Comfortreds . Have them on my Acura atm, very very nice ride with pretty good predictable traction and handling in dry and wet. Also worked just fine during the brief winter we had this year. And the rebate makes it a great deal.

Here is an idea, call around for a quote on comfortreds. Get the lowest quote, visit your local goodyear dealer, get them to pricematch and then get the 160 rebate with their charge card. You can get a [censored] of a deal that way .

+1 on the comfortred. Put a set (all 4) on out 2001 Impala, these are the best tires by far that I have ever drove on in 40 years of driving.

I agree stay away from directional.

I would (and did) pick the Primacy MXV4.

Based on my experience, I would say anything but GoodYear...

Last edited:
The Altimax HP are a nice budget tire. I have a set of them on one of my cars in the same size. It was a tremendous upgrade from the OE tires for grip. They're nice and quiet too. Eventually the pulling and the quirky response got to me and now I'm just trying to wear them down as fast as possible so I have an excuse to dump them.

I'd take the Primacy MXV4 or even the ProContact over them almost any day. Not so much the ProContact if it's cold outside. They can be a little scary in cold weather.

BTW, there are 2 new tires in this size that might be worth consideration:

The ContiPureContact and Michelin Defender.

Both too new for ratings though...

We've had several of these tires.

The Generals are very nice. If strapped for cash, they're a good choice. Velvety quiet GT+ performance. But some don't report the best treadwear with them. We strained to get into the 40k range with ours, but they were good the whole way through.

The Michelin Primacy V4s are even nicer, and will last longer. They do cost more. We're running these now on two of our vehicles, a Volvo 855 and a VW Jetta TDI SW. Superb running tires. The Altimax on steroids. Can't say enough good things about them. Don't confuse them with the MXM version. The MXV4 is better IMO.

The Michelin Pilots are a sportier tire, but not as comfortable as the other two. We put them on a Maxima, and the heavier, softer suspension seemed to balance the ride well. However, on a smaller Altima, I think it might not be the best DD choice if your roads are not great. Braking is in the same league as the Primacy V4.

I have mixed results on Contis. Some are fine. Others stink. I only tend to like their UHP offerings (DWS) these days. Not the most robust sidewalls in my experience.

The new Bridgestone is a contender to the Primacy V4, but is even more expensive. I'm not convinced it's any better. It's a very well made tire and shouldn't hurt you, though.

I won't go near a GY. Too many bad ones over the years.

The Primacy V4s are my first pick from that group for that car, if you can afford them. Otherwise, run with the Generals.

If it had to be from your list, the Primacy MXV4.

Otherwise, the Michelin Energy Saver A/S would be my choice. The fuel economy savings over the life of the tire can be in the hundreds of dollars.

Judging the Michelin and GoodYear, I'd be tempted to give the MXV4 a shot. I've had GY before and found them to be good in those instances but I think the shinning points ie; ride, traction and low noise levels were at the expense of tread wear. Still, the tires were confidence inspiring in rain and snow when I lived in Michigan.
The reason I'd go MXV4 is the scores and weight of those scores based on almost 5X more miles by those rating them.
9 million more miles w/o any hiccups whereas I think the lower miles on GY offers a more forgiving rating. Michelin's reputation is tough to beat in most of their tire line and getting them for about the same cost as GY sounds like a deal to me. With tires, I rarely let a few bucks inspire me to sway from my gut instinct.

Good luck ... doesn't look to be any bad choices on that list.

Last edited:
Basing my comments on the two tires with which I have personal experience.

Price no object, MXV4 Primacy would be my first choice. Solid all around tire, though I can't speak to tread life because I've only had them a couple years.

Next choice Altimax HP's, excellent hydroplaning resistance, smooth ride, and a good value tire. Got ~55k on a Civic with ~2-3k tread left when new tires were purchased. They are a directional tire, but wore very evenly for me. And, currently a $50 Visa rebate till 8/15.

Thanks to everyone for your input thus far. It's fantastic!

Summarizing:

- The General Altimax HP seems to be liked as a lower-cost option.
- Thoughts on the Goodyear Assurance CT Touring are mixed, but some really like them.
- Thoughts on the Michelin Primacy MXV4 are generally very positive, with only a few exceptions.
- The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S would probably be fine, but not the best pick for my driving.
- The Continental ContiProContact would probably be fine (again), but there are better choices.
- The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity would probably be good but is very pricey. I got an estimate this morning for over $800!

Also mentioned were the following:

- Continental ContiPureContact: I can't find anything at all about these.
- Michelin Defender: Standard Touring All Season category. Not much in terms of reviews yet.
- Michelin Energy Saver A/S: Passenger All Season category. Tires on my short list are more appealing to me.
- Hankook Optimo H727: Standard Touring All Season category. Tires on my short list are more appealing to me.

So the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and Goodyear Assurance CT Touring are the two at the top for me in terms of current consideration. Given that I can get the Goodyear for around $450 after $160 rebate, it seems like the best value without sacrificing anything. But I go back and forth on things like this, which is why I've started thinking about it early.

I was at Walmart yesterday and they had a whole pile of Goodyear tires 215/60/16`s where in there( i`m sorry I don`t remember which model)for $108 ea. Might be worth a look.I was hoping they had some 17" but no luck.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Given that I can get the Goodyear for around $450 after $160 rebate, it seems like the best value without sacrificing anything. But I go back and forth on things like this, which is why I've started thinking about it early.

Go for it ! Goodyear has a 30 day love em or leave em guarantee on these tires as well.

Thanks for pointing those out DuckRyder! I didn't even see them on TireRack because I'd been sorting by Reviewer's Avg Rating and never looked at the bottom of the bunch.

It looks like a nice tire. I like the tread pattern. It reminds me a bit of the ExtremeContact DWS which is not available in my size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back