Help me decide what oil to use in new KTM

Ive had a KTM 1090 Adventure and a 890 Adventure. Ive used 10w-50 Liquimoly in both and all is well.
Next oil change is going to be with a Liquimoly 15w-50. I anticipate little to no change.

Castrol 10w-50 Powerex made my 1090 shift terrible from day one. I wish Mobil 1 made a 50wt in a motorcycle formula.
Awesome,

I’ve seen the liquimoly on Amazon. I think for the first two years I’ve decided I’ll stick to a 10w50 for a few reasons.

I want a hassle free warranty process if one arises.

I know myself and the oil is likely not going to stay in the sump longer than 2-3k miles…I just always end up changing it earlier than I plan.

And lastly, This bike is will be mostly used for commuting as well as road trips so the miles are going to be pretty easy. I don’t have many plans to do hard off roading. I also don’t really beat on my stuff at all.

A local bike shop to me has Sold Belray for years and I used it in my old XSR. They have 10W50 EXS in stock as well. It’s about the same cost as Motorex and Spectro.

There are far more 10w50 options than I realized once I started looking intently. Motul 7100, Belray EXS, Liquimoly, Castrol power 1, spectro platinum 4, Motorex power Syn. Most if not all of these meet JASO MA2 and are the proper grade which is the specs KTM wants. Aside from the constant reminder that they recommend “Motorex lubricants only”

I haven’t ruled out Motorex either FWIW.

It would certainly be nice if Mobil made a 10w50 MC specific oil. Especially given their track record with the racing 4T and V-twin MC oils.

Last edited:
Regarding warranty, how is KTM to know what oil you are using if you change it yourself?

If I had a KTM, I'd be going for the oil with the best high pressure wear resistance possible. I'm not sure if that means high zinc/phosphorus or what. But the number one need with those bikes is cam protection.

Regarding warranty, how is KTM to know what oil you are using if you change it yourself?

If I had a KTM, I'd be going for the oil with the best high pressure wear resistance possible. I'm not sure if that means high zinc/phosphorus or what. But the number one need with those bikes is cam protection.
When I asked the service department guy at my purchasing dealer about doing my own service he said no problem,

Just keep detailed records and receipts for your services. Maybe they wouldn’t care if I use a 15w50 or a 20w50 🤷‍♀️.

He said he recommends Motorex or Motul, but I can use what I want as long as it meets the specs…

He then showed me how to reset the service reminder

Agree with the above. It is desirous to employ a high zinc oil for cam/valve train protection.

Redline MC 10w50 MA/MA2 is worth a look. Nothing has a higher z/p (2260/2030) and it matches what KTM is keeping you beholden to with a 10w50.

Yes, give it a shot.

Agree with the above. It is desirous to employ a high zinc oil for cam/valve train protection.

Redline MC 10w50 MA/MA2 is worth a look. Nothing has a higher z/p (2260/2030) and it matches what KTM is keeping you beholden to with a 10w50.

Yes, give it a shot.

What does that stuff do to catalytic converters? Looks great for cams, but not sure about the exhaust...

In my opinion, if the engine doesn't have a problem with oil consumption, there's no problem with high zinc. However, that is a legit question if the bike has a catalyst.

In my opinion, if the engine doesn't have a problem with oil consumption, there's no problem with high zinc. However, that is a legit question if the bike has a catalyst.
It does, and I plan to keep it 100% stock. So that is a concern. I don’t think there is an ECU tricker on the market yet to prevent error codes with a deleted cat….but I haven’t researched it either.

If it were me, the Amsoil would be first choice, followed by the M1. I have had great experiences with both in bikes.
Comparing MCV and MFF from Amsoil it looks like the MCV 20w50 is lighter than the 15w50 MFF just slightly. Certainly nice specs on Both according to the PDS. Very low Noack values and high HTHS.

The 10w50 dirt bike oil doesn’t look like a bad oil either…

In 10w50 grade

Castrol 10w50 Power 1

I would go with the Castrol 10w50 for the first service. Satisfies the warranty requirements and it's cheap enough that you can change it often.

Would you consider running Rotella 15w40 in it?

I'm a Rotella fan myself, but I am starting to understand why people make fun of us!

You probably could use Rotella and not have any problems, but given that it's still under warranty, I'd stick with the manufacturer spec'd oil...

And next year I'd probably try the Rotella anyway!

If you're considering Amsoil you might want to add Mobil 1 because
according to Amsoil Rep Dan Watson in this video Amsoil's base oil is Mobil 1

[video:youtube]

Thats a Huge broad brush, stick your nose in amsoil and mobil 1 , they arent the same oil, certain bases may be from Mobil oil company, but thats far from implying Amsoil is Mobil 1.

Having said that, Amsoil does shear in a motorcycle as does mobil 1, I used to run 15w40 Amsoil, by 2000 miles it was a 30 weight, not a big deal the oil worked great, and I changed it around that time.

Also keep in mind Mobil 1 mc oils used to have flash points of 470 to 512 degrees depending on type. Nowadays about 440 degree is what you see, not the same base oil. This seemed to come after the law suit, that said oils in the U.S. can call themselves synthetic , even though really not. They had to cut their costs.

I've been using both Castrol Power 1 and Maxima Pro Plus in my 350 XCF, 1290 SAS and 1290 SDGT KTM's interchangeabley for a while. I buy whichever has the best deal at the time. OEM oil filters always. No issues regarding oil ever.

I would go with the Castrol 10w50 for the first service. Satisfies the warranty requirements and it's cheap enough that you can change it often.
I'm using the Castrol 10W-40 Power 1 in the XSR900. No issues noticed. I think most JASO MA2 rated oils will work fine for a relatively short 3000-4000 mile oil run.

Does the owner's manual say 10W-50 JASO MA2 is "required" or "recommended"?

It doesn’t specify…just recommends Motorex. I suppose no actual issue if I wanted to use a 15w50 or 20w50.

Given the finger followers running on a cam that in previous models has been known to wear the extra HTHS couldn’t hurt I suppose.

Looking at the PDS for Amsoil 20w50 MCV it appears to be much lighter than most 20w50s at 40c and has a nice 5.6 HTHS.

The MFF 15w50 has a slightly thicker rating at 40c, slightly higher HTHS, slightly lower noack, and higher VI

I’m wondering if the MCV which is available at no less than 10 stores in my town isn’t a great choice even as a 20w50. There is a used bike store across the road from my office that Carries the MCV

I generally don’t ride in weather below 50F

MFF I would need to order. 🤔

849FECA0-54CE-407D-B22F-D002139A64AD.jpg

3754A31E-7C4F-4847-9548-3960C2506014.jpg

5430300C-5F4D-4904-9CC2-1707FF1106E5.jpg

Last edited:

I'm a Rotella fan myself, but I am starting to understand why people make fun of us!

You probably could use Rotella and not have any problems, but given that it's still under warranty, I'd stick with the manufacturer spec'd oil...

And next year I'd probably try the Rotella anyway!
That’s fine. I meets the requirements of my 4 machines. It was just an option to look into. I’ve got it in everything except my wife’s new car because the calcium level is over 2,000 ppm and her care is a turbo direct injected 4 cylinder. If it was naturally aspirated I’d have Rotella 10w30 in it. There are a ton of great Motorcycle oils out there. Maxima is making some excellent oils and I’d trust them in anything. I myself, change oil too often to gain any benefit from a top tier oil. I run what works and change often. Heck I pull the dipstick on everything every time I refuel. Clean and full are the best oils. And change frequently. It’s worked for me for many years. If people want to laugh, I’m glad I could bring joy to somebody’s day. :)

Back