Help me decide between a few cars

These are all good but very contrasting points. The TDI is being repaired for a faulty EGR under warranty so I can't see it right now.

The Sonata has a factory warranty on the new engine which is really hard to pass up.

EDIT:
I can't figure out the length of the warranty on the replacement engine or if it's transferable. Nobody seems to know. That's a red flag to me.

Last edited:
Drive both, back to back, then get back to us about which one you'd prefer. Don't forget the TDI extended warranty is likely in effect, which covers a comprehensive list of things besides the exhaust. We're talking turbo, fuel system, engine internals, and obviously EGR...

The Kia already needing a brand-new engine doesn't inspire confidence, but that's just me.

I have no idea regarding the driving dynamics, but I'd be nervous about a Hyundai right now because of parts availability issues. It's mostly collision parts, but mechanical stuff is going on backorder too. It's not uncommon for cars to be down for months now waiting on backordered parts. To some extent everybody is having issues, but Hyundai/Kia/Mobis are REALLY having issues.

So we're down to a '14 Sonata 2.0t with 90k, The '11 TDI and an unmentioned but not surprising- 2015 VW Passat 1.8t. I'm leaning heavily towards the Passat as the Hyundai does not have a warranty anymore (3rd owner) and on the original motor.

The Sonata nearby I wanted had the engine replaced in May but NOT the turbo "under good faith" at 169k, so they literally threw in a new motor, put the old turbo back with no warranty.

Last edited:
I'm convinced the NMS Passat is one of VW's most reliable cars, although don't expect it to be a Corolla. Being a 2015 even if it's behind on maintenance it probably isn't critical yet and can be caught up would be my guess.

i was just coming on here again to suggest a vw passat when both rochev and kcjeep beat me to it. im a fan of my 2013 cpo passat s. pure base model. i just drove it for 8 hours fully, i mean fully, loaded with my older son’s stuff along eastern seaboard. 2.5 five cylinder was fine, highway 36 mpg. passats depreciate faster than rocks sinking in a pond, making them decent used values if/if maintenance was properly kept up.

Now it's between the Passat and a 2014 Impala V6. The Passat has 123k, the Impala 180k. Passat is also a lot cheaper so I'm not sure again.

What year Passat and what drivetrain? not that I know anything about them, other than they might cost more for parts than a Jetta, but someone else might know the various gotchas.

IMHO Mazda3 or manual trans Focus is probably the best bets for cheap entertainment cars. I hear also the regular fiesta Mtx is supposed to be a good cheap rally car option. Maybe the vws are a bit better hwy cars but not by much and I think the fords especially are under valued a bit.

Now it's between the Passat and a 2014 Impala V6. The Passat has 123k, the Impala 180k. Passat is also a lot cheaper so I'm not sure again.
Impala is at $6800, Passat is only $4800.
$6,800 for a 2014 Impala? Where are you shopping for cars? Is this at those sketchy buy here pay here 30% interest car lots? That's way over priced!

I wouldn't pay $1,800 for one.

Is that the new bodystyle Impala? or the old one they called the Limited? They had both in 2014.

$6,800 for a 2014 Impala? Where are you shopping for cars? Is this at those sketchy buy here pay here 30% interest car lots? That's way over priced!

I wouldn't pay $1,800 for one.
I go on Facebook. I don't like GM but I know it's comfortable. Really nothing seems to stick out to me more than the Passat.

I'm still waiting on the owner to get back to me about picking it up soon. It's 3 hours away so it's kind of difficult to find time for it.

ive got 102k miles on my 2013 passat s with the 2.5 five cylinder n.a. engine. it has gotten just regular 10k maintenance at dealer over the years, two sets of new tires, new brakes on rear and front will need by next 10k interval, and new cv boots at 80k. otherwise it is simple, reliable, roomy, gas efficient. no electronic kgb nannies. did i say roomy? i have hauled tons of stuff with it up and down east coast. easy 25mpg suburbs, 36mpg highway. kbb value is around $5000.

Sorry for the delay, life's been busy. I know everyone's been on the edge of their seats waiting to know the choice between these fine options. I got the Passat.

The new "bumper" it needed ended up being everything BUT the bunper. Every trim piece on and under the front end, fender liners, alignment etc, but the actual bumper is fine save for a crack held together with a zip tie.

Very happy with it, except for the atf maintenance procedures. Interestingly, the VIN says it's a Wolfsburg but it has every SE option, and TDI wheels...
20210919_234615.jpg
20210919_234629.jpg

So we're down to a '14 Sonata 2.0t with 90k, The '11 TDI and an unmentioned but not surprising- 2015 VW Passat 1.8t. I'm leaning heavily towards the Passat as the Hyundai does not have a warranty anymore (3rd owner) and on the original motor.

The Sonata nearby I wanted had the engine replaced in May but NOT the turbo "under good faith" at 169k, so they literally threw in a new motor, put the old turbo back with no warranty.

The Hyundai Engine Settlement is kind of a gotcha. There is a provision in the settlement that if the car is 8 years old or older and has 150,000 miles or more on it when the engine fails, Hyundai has the option of either buying the car back at the then-current "very good private party" blue book value, or just giving the owner $2,000 instead of replacing the engine. The owner can choose which option they will accept. The $2,000 option also requires the owner of the car to sign a waiver to accept all risk moving forward and absolve Hyundai from any future obligation. I am sure Hyundai will be doing that with every 8+ year old affected vehicle that comes in with a bum engine as opposed to spending the time and labor replacing the engine.

Back