Help me decide between a few cars

My 2016 Caravan was truly great, but I sold it because I missed the driving dynamics of a sport sedan/hatch. So I have the choice between a few vehicles. All are around $6500 with good miles.

1. 2011 VW Golf TDI
2. 2012 VW Jetta 2.5 (several to choose)
3. 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0t

I've never had a diesel so I'm iffy about the Golf. I had a 2012 Jetta before and while not particularly thrilling, it's seriously fun to drive and I really miss it. The Sonata has receipts from it's troublesome engine being replaced recently. It's super quick and also fun to drive, though handling is far behind VW.

I know it's all about personal decision but I'd love to hear thoughtful feedback and experiences with any of them, as I'm having a hard time choosing!

My 2016 Caravan was truly great, but I sold it because I missed the driving dynamics of a sport sedan/hatch. So I have the choice between a few vehicles. All are around $6500 with good miles.

1. 2011 VW Golf TDI
2. 2012 VW Jetta 2.5 (several to choose)
3. 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0t

I've never had a diesel so I'm iffy about the Golf. I had a 2012 Jetta before and while not particularly thrilling, it's seriously fun to drive and I really miss it. The Sonata has receipts from it's troublesome engine being replaced recently. It's super quick and also fun to drive, though handling is far behind VW.

I know it's all about personal decision but I'd love to hear thoughtful feedback and experiences with any of them, as I'm having a hard time choosing!
I was gonna chime in about Sonata engine problems, but since it's been replaced - I'd go with the Sonata. Nice quick highway racer. A set of decent coilovers will make it handle well. VW just burned me hard with random costly failures on the 2013 Tiguan we had... Which is apparently the most reliable vehicle in the VW line up in that era. Yea, right... I spent as much money in repairs in 2 years of ownership as I did purchasing that Tiguan initially. And when purchased it had no issues, for first 5-6 months...

If #3 has a new engine, then hands down that's the one to get.

I had a 15' Sonata 2.4L. Great car, drove nicely. But not a sports sedan. The turbo motor might be zippy enough.

Edit: The Sonata will also have a lifetime engine warranty.

Last edited:
If it's a difficult choice, I'd run the carfax and look at all maintenance logs. The new engine on the Sonata is attractive, but how "new" is it? And why? Vehicle neglect? Or a design defect? Do you want an engine, even new, that has a design defect. Neither is a good option, really? Neglect is bad, but a bad design is maybe worse?

What is "good mileage" and are these more city or highway for each, the latter being more favorable.

I have had a Jetta, and it was a good car. I'd probably choose the Jetta personally. I'd probably never own a low-end Hyndai. I'd own a VW, but honestly it's difficult to say since none of these appeal to me at all.

How will it be used?

The diesel is a very efficient highway cruiser and should be warrantied out to 120k I think?

If it's a city car and short trips I would skip the TDI.

No city driving really. Mileage on them is low-average. The Hyundai had a manufacturing defect where the rod bearings had metal shavings left in it or something, they recalled a bunch. I assume they didn't do it again lol.

The low end torque and cheaper fuel of the TDI appeals to me, the power and roominess of the sonata, and the handling of the Jetta. If I could just have all in one...

Vladiator-interestingly my father has a 2013 Tiguan and it's been absolutely crap. It's never not needing work. My Jetta gave me no issues though.

I’d probably do the VW 2.5, I’m not sure the TDI is cost effective (what kind of annual miles?) and most don‘t find the diesel fun (I sure did).

I'd avoid any "clean" diesel, but with lots of torque and with the smallest and lightest body, that would be the most fun to drive as well as the best gas mileage. The Sonata having the new engine is a big plus and it's quick too. The Jetta will have best fit, finish and materials but not the most exciting to drive.

interestingly my father has a 2013 Tiguan and it's been absolutely crap. It's never not needing work. My Jetta gave me no issues though.

I had one as a rental for a couple days back in 2015. It was hands down the worst vehicle I've ever driven and it only had around 17k on it. The check engine light was on the entire time. The seats were terrible and it rattled constantly. Yeah I know it was a rental, but still....

You want driving dynamics within a $6,500 budget? Look at Mazda. We had a 2005 Mazda3 SP-23 (fully loaded) hatchback with a 5 speed manual. That car was a blast to drive. Wouldn’t win many races, but fun to drive. We absolutely loved that car. Just outgrew it after we started having kids.

My other suggestion would be a Toyota. Not for driving dynamics, but because of quality, reliability, low cost of maintenance, etc. Kinda like an iPhone, they just work.

golf for the emissions warranty and practicality

after the car market crashes the 2.5 jetta will return to a downwards spiral whereas a tdi will always be worth something

Ha ha responses are all over the map good luck figuring this out! :p

My take, you'd need to be all in on the diesel and you clearly aren't, forget that one. The VW would be much more fun to drive and that's the reason you're trading anyway, so get one of the 12 Jettas.

Surprised at all the negative comments on the Tiguan. Ours (a '12) was a solid, quiet, nice driving reliable vehicle up until about 110k miles or so at which point it got expensive. My daughter still misses it. My father still has one, a 2017 Wolfsburg, no issues at all now at about 60k.

+1 for the Golf TDI. It handles better than the Jetta and you'll love the torque.

My last Golf TDI was returning 42-44mpg average. It was a great commuter fun cart as well as road trip missile.

Much better build quality vs the Jetta, plus independent rear suspension.

I'd avoid any "clean" diesel, but with lots of torque and with the smallest and lightest body, that would be the most fun to drive as well as the best gas mileage. The Sonata having the new engine is a big plus and it's quick too. The Jetta will have best fit, finish and materials but not the most exciting to drive.
I really like the VW diesels. I'm not at all sure they are cost effective, but they drive wonderfully and get great MPG. Properly maintained, they last a very long time.

I'd purchase one in a second. If I could find a good deal. I probably should have purchased one of the "buyback" TDI's.

rochev, you are in maine where decent used car pickings are likely slim. may i suggest that you expand your search horizon? i’m unsure that sporty, reliable and $6500 all intersect, especially in the snowbelt. if it were me i would look for something toyota as far south as i can manage, even just to boston or hartford.

more specifically to your original question, i specifically chose my cpo 2013 vw passat for its 2.5 five cylinder, a great engine, which turns the older jetta into something of a rocket. i test drove both extensively but chose the passat for its roominess. i believe that vw dealers offer cpo diesels with an excellent warranty.

my ex hertz 2014 toyota yaris 1.5 is actually fun because it is tossable, but not a rocket, very roomy for its short length and very reliable. its hand crank windows are icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Back