Hello to All! What's the best Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone!
What a terrific site this is! Im new here and wanted to ask a question.

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L (I6). What would be the best synthetic oil to use? This weekend I just changed it with Mobil 1 10w30 w/Mobil1 Filter. But I have recently heard horror stories about the extra Fe content found when using Mobil 1 so now I'm worried.

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted By: TheFlatlander
Hello Everyone!

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L (I6). What would be the best synthetic oil to use? This weekend I just changed it with Mobil 1 10w30 w/Mobil1 Filter. But I have recently heard horror stories about the extra Fe content found when using Mobil 1 so now I'm worried.

Thanks!!!

First off, I wouldn't get TOO worried about the elevated Fe reports. Countless engines have lived to ripe old ages using Mobil-1, its a very good oil. I just retired a 257,000-mile Chrysler 3.5L v6, still running great after a whole life on M1 10w30.

Back to the Jeep 4.0 though- I use Rotella-T Synthetic in my 4.0 for a couple of reasons. First, even though its now SM rated it still has a bit higher percentage of Zn and P that can help protect the flat tappets in a 4.0. Second, its got a nice high TBN characteristic of most heavy-duty engine oils. Thirdly, the 4.0 delivers its power much like a small diesel would- lots of torque at low RPM, and not much time spent at high RPMS. The extra pressure that low-RPM torque puts on the bottom end (conrod and main bearings) is IMO just the kind of application that a 5w40 HD oil works best in.

Hope this helps.

Those horror stories have been greatly exaggerated and may not even mean what people think they mean. Mobil 1 is good stuff.

In an overall sense, there is no "best" synthetic. Only favorites.
wink.gif
However, it is possible to find the best oil for your engine and your driving. That's going to take lots of used oil analysis and lots of oil changes. Be sure you want to get into that first.

If you don't, use Mobil 1 with confidence. If you do, welcome to the fold, and kiss your wallet and free time goodbye.
wink.gif

Nice vehicle, by the way.

Royal Purple also shows high iron wear when used in a 4.0L...

In my 4.0L Jeep, I am currently using Trop-artic 10w30 syn-blend.

Quote:

First off, I wouldn't get TOO worried about the elevated Fe reports. Countless engines have lived to ripe old ages using Mobil-1, its a very good oil. I just retired a 257,000-mile Chrysler 3.5L v6, still running great after a whole life on M1 10w30.

Back to the Jeep 4.0 though- I use Rotella-T Synthetic in my 4.0 for a couple of reasons. First, even though its now SM rated it still has a bit higher percentage of Zn and P that can help protect the flat tappets in a 4.0. Second, its got a nice high TBN characteristic of most heavy-duty engine oils. Thirdly, the 4.0 delivers its power much like a small diesel would- lots of torque at low RPM, and not much time spent at high RPMS. The extra pressure that low-RPM torque puts on the bottom end (conrod and main bearings) is IMO just the kind of application that a 5w40 HD oil works best in.

Hope this helps.

Very interesting reccomendation. I just read up a bit on RotellaT. This oil is designed for diesel engines but is ok for gasoline as well? Stupid question but I had to ask!

How does your 4.0 perform on this oil? What filter do you use with it?

Thanks for the reply!!

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

I have a 2004 Wrangler with the same engine. Although I do not use Mobil 1, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's an excellent oil. I happen to use a 10W-30 in mine but know a lot of Jeep owners that have had excellent results with the Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 that 440Magnum talked about. If you want to stay with a 10W-30, sleep well with the choice you have made.

Your choice of filter is also an excellent choice. I happen to use the Amsoil EaO filters on my Jeep, along with their EaA air filter.

How often do you change your oil?

Last edited:
Mobil 1 in an excellent oil. My synths of choice are Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. I get bored and switch around. When the $10 rebate comes into effect April 1st,I`ll be grabbing a jug of Mobil 1 15W50 silver cap to add to my very small stash.

I like them all...

I'm running M1 now, and will be adding PP and Napa full synthetic to my other cars....

Hello Everyone!

Thanks!!!

Mobil 1 is factory fill in the following cars and is the only synthetic used at many auto service shops (including new car dealers):

Acura RDX; Aston Martin; Bentley Vehicles; Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, Escalade, XLR, XLR-V, SRX and STS and STS-V; Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06; Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS; Chrysler 300C SRT-8; Chevrolet Cobalt SS; Dodge Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8; Holden Special Vehicles; Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8; Mercedes-AMG Vehicles; Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren; Mitsubishi Evolution; Nissan GT-R; Pontiac Solstice GX;P All Porsche Vehicles; Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line; Dodge Viper.

It is much easier for competitors to spread false rumors on the Internet than it is to go into the research lab and develop superior products.

Now, I don't want to make any claims that M1 is far superior than other comparable synthetic oils, but any claims that M1 has problems or is harmful to your car's engine is rubbish (assuming you use a viscosity that is acceptable to your manufacturer). But even if other brands are comparable in quality to M1, I would not purchase a brand that uses dirty tricks (spreading false rumors) as part of its marketing strategy.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with Mobil 1. I put 245k on my LT1 Z28 with Mobil 1 0w40 and the motor was spotless when I tore it down. I don't use it now because it's expensive. Valvoline Synpower is great stuff and cheaper. Heck, all of Valvolines stuff is amazing.

Originally Posted By: Mark888

Mobil 1 is factory fill in the following cars:

Acura RDX; Aston Martin; Bentley Vehicles; Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, Escalade, XLR, XLR-V, SRX and STS and STS-V; Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06; Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS; Chrysler 300C SRT-8; Chevrolet Cobalt SS; Dodge Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8; Holden Special Vehicles; Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8; Mercedes-AMG Vehicles; Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren; Mitsubishi Evolution; Nissan GT-R; Pontiac Solstice GX;P All Porsche Vehicles; Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line; Dodge Viper.

It doesn't suck.

In my cars I use Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and Q-Horsepower that I got on special clearance at Wal-Mart. Realistically I don't think you could go wrong with those three.

Do you do any off-roading or drive in a way that would elevate engine temperatures?

Best synthetic

One that meets manufacturer's spec and is used as it was intended,other than that it's money down the drain.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist

Do you do any off-roading or drive in a way that would elevate engine temperatures?

My offroading is very minimal.

Very interesting reccomendation. I just read up a bit on RotellaT. This oil is designed for diesel engines but is ok for gasoline as well? Stupid question but I had to ask!

How does your 4.0 perform on this oil? What filter do you use with it?

Thanks for the reply!!

Lots of people do use Rotella T in gasoline engines. Diesel engine oils (HDEOs, or Heavy Duty Engine Oils) are typically designed for longer life between changes, and have stronger detergent and acid control packages, but other than that are fine for most gasoline engines. Some of the additives might conceivably reduce the life of a catalytic convertor in 2007-up cars, but the Zinc and Phosphorous levels that Rotella T has now are actually not that different from what gasoline engine oils had back in the late 90s, maybe lower. It is, after all, SM rated as well as CJ rated, so it meets all current gasoline engine oil requirements. The only think "out of spec" for a 4.0 is the 5w40 rating, but the 4.0 responds very well to that rating and is generally believed to "like" a heavier oil. It doesn't develop excessive oil pressure or anything like that on 5w40, and I found that the oil pressure changes less as the engine warms up than it did when using a 10w30.

I've been using Purolator filters for years, and I generally go with the PureONE version. On the Jeep I run the full-size PL3001 instead of the "shorty" version that was used OEM. I like the added 1/2 quart oil capacity and the extra filter area, and the threads/gasket and other important features are identical. On my '99 Cherokee there's enough room for the long filter, if there's not on your application then go ahead and run the shorty.

The Jeep is running great on this combo so far, although it spent most of its life (previous owner) subjected to whatever [censored] oil Jiffy Lube had in its bulk dispensers. Its hard to kill a 4.0....

Last edited:
Flat - The diesel oil is very good in gas engines. It is usually a bit thick for modern gas engines. That is the downside. But it's internal make-up is strong.

Hi,
TheFlatlander - You made a good choice of lubricant and it is well worth staying with it. Have confidence in your judgement and choice

It pays to learn quickly on here about avoiding the smoke, trees, mirrors and foggy judgement aspects etc of some posts

This is very important - sometimes a good story stands in the way of facts!

Welcome and enjoy your time at BITOG

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
TheFlatlander - You made a good choice of lubricant and it is well worth staying with it. Have confidence in your judgement and choice

It pays to learn quickly on here about avoiding the smoke, trees, mirrors and foggy judgement aspects etc of some posts

Oh Doug, you just took all of the fun out of;

102,471 Topics
1,388,866 Posts

grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

Oh Doug, you just took all of the fun out of;

102,471 Topics
1,388,866 Posts

grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, now what are we gonna' do?
frown.gif

2003 Toyota Tacoma 368K miles 3.4L V6 All original never torn down, passes CA smog test clean as a whistle.
engine purrrrrs.. smooth

All on Mobil 1 5w-30

Excellent oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back