Heated Drying in Dishwashers - Bosch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked at a Bosch last Summer. Bought a Kitchenaid. Had extra features I wanted.
Important note. Read the manual to learn how to operate it properly. There were some complaints about the model I bought online. You could tell they had not read the manual. Once I figured out how to operate it's been flawless.

The dishwasher in my home, a redneck double wide on two acres of land, is a GE unit going on 17 years of age, as is the refrigerator. Even the water heater!

Can't complain if they were to give up the ghost today.

I've had my mid 1950's dish washer for 38 years, but maintenance costs can sometimes be exorbitant.

I got a Samsung when I cross shopped with a bosch. The Samsung seemed to dry better and the entire tub was stainless including the floor. The Samsung had a fan and a heater element. You have to rinse aid in both brands. Not sure if the bosch had the fan.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: expat
We have had one for about 6 years since we replaced our old Gaggenau (which was also very good)

As people have said, it works well, and is VERY quite.

Some lower end models are made in Mexico.

Can you site your reference for Mexican-made BSH products? The have a d/w plant in Germany and New Bern, NC
New Bern

I would also like to see some links about lower-priced Bosch dishwashers made in Mexico.

I bought basically the lowest-priced Ascenta dishwasher. The Ascenta series is Bosch's lowest-priced series that I could find. Mine is clearly built in the US.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: LotI
We have had one for about 6 years since we replaced our old Gaggenau (which was also very good)

As people have said, it works well, and is VERY quite.

Some lower end models are made in Mexico.

Can you site your reference for Mexican-made BSH products? The have a d/w plant in Germany and New Bern, NC
New Bern

I would also like to see some links about lower-priced Bosch dishwashers made in Mexico.

I bought basically the lowest-priced Ascenta dishwasher. The Ascenta series is Bosch's lowest-priced series that I could find. Mine is clearly built in the US.

I can only say, when we bought our washer, we spent some time comparison shopping (at this point, we were going to buy Bosch but wanted to compare prices from different retailers) We were looking in Sears and they had two different model Bosch DW's at seemingly very good prices, but on close inspection, the insides walls were plastic
(not SS) and the Racks Plastic coated wire (not nylon) The tags with the serial #'s clearly said Made in Mexico.

I own a top line GE unit with forced air drying, but we've never used it.

It heats the water so hot all you do is open the door and everything is almost completely dry in a few minutes...

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
...I never had the heat on, air dry all the time. What is the different between put the cleaned dishes away in 10-15 minutes after the dishwasher finished and next day ?

to some Folks, there is a world of Difference.

My Dad is one of those folks, If he knows something like that didn't get done, he couldn't go to sleep.

he even gets mad if you let things air dry for an hour or so when hand washing dishes.
The Job isn't Done, until everything is dried & put away. and there's no relaxing until the work is done.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I never waste electricity on heated drying of dishes. I just open the door as soon as I can after it has stopped to let out all the steam.

That is why we use 25% of the world resources while we are less than 5% of the world population.

I think the hot steam is helping drying the dishes.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I never waste electricity on heated drying of dishes. I just open the door as soon as I can after it has stopped to let out all the steam.

I do the same thing. I hate that my washer automatically selects the heated dry, I have to manually turn it off every time.

I usually wash dishes by hand, but like to run the washer every few weeks to keep it fresh.

We have a Bosch. My experience parallels several of the other comments. The heated dry works really well on ceramic and metal items, but the kid's plastic cups and plates tend to still come out wet. And it would be awesome to have some sort of food chopper on the water drain, vs. a mesh strainer. It works, it's just nasty to clean out at times.

My only issue with the washer is the catch on the detergent container won't latch about 50% of the time. I'm not sure if this is common to these diswashers, or just random to mine. It hasn't bothered me that much, so I haven't put any time into fixing it.

I can only say, when we bought our washer, we spent some time comparison shopping (at this point, we were going to buy Bosch but wanted to compare prices from different retailers) We were looking in Sears and they had two different model Bosch DW's at seemingly very good prices, but on close inspection, the insides walls were plastic
(not SS) and the Racks Plastic coated wire (not nylon) The tags with the serial #'s clearly said Made in Mexico.

If those were infact actually Bosch dishwashers that you were looking at, then I don't think those models exist anymore.

I believe the Ascenta series is now Bosch's lowest-priced line, at least in the US. They're assembled in the USA and they have a composite tub, with all but the bottom of the tub being stainless steel.

I have one and it uses more or less steam to dry the dishes. It works fine except plastics sometimes still have water sticking to them a bit.

My Bosch is quiet and cleans extremely well. The only downside is not all places service them if that comes up. Mine has not but heard that one this brand.

I looked at Bosch seriously before deciding on a Kenmore Elite. The Bosch was smaller on the inside and the tines were closer together. So think about how your dishes will fit there.

Bosch and Miele are more energy efficient but appear to me to be designed for European glassware which is physically smaller than most of the stuff we own. I have some in-laws who chose the Bosch because it was the "best" and have been living with this reality since. They have not been happy.
Ours is just as silent, cleans just as well, fits our dishes better, but uses more energy(dries better).
YMMV

Who makes Kenmore Elite DW?

I will no longer buy Kenmore junk. But I suppose that can be tempered by who actually makes it.

Bosch insides are smaller on certain series, but not the 800 series.

GE upper model is quite nice, but user experience varies - many have encountered 4-6 hour (and longer!) run cycles while wash sensor thinks cleaning is still needed.

We are thinking now we don't necessarily need the added electric drying.

Still looking and thinking.

The rumor is that Kenmore Elite dishwashers without the disposal(like mine) are made by Bosch, and the ones with disposal are made by Whirlpool. IIRC the salesman also told me it was made by Bosch FWIW.

There are so many bad reviews about every brand I don't feel confident about anyone being reliable.
I can only tell you that after 2 yrs of a load per day i.e. ~700 or so loads, ours has not had any problems. It was also the top rated model by Consumer Reports if that is of value to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back