Newish Whirlpool dishwasher not drying.

Hi all. Not sure how many of you have dealt with this or if it was an easy fix. I purchased a Whirlpool Dishwasher 2 years ago or so. I went with the Whirlpool as it's manufacturers in the USA, and I think in Owensboro Kentucky. It never dried great but worked. Over the last week or so no matter what setting its on and yes the heated dry button is selected it doesn't dry. I've ran through a checklist and reset it with no improvement. I've never seen a dishwasher heating element go bad. It's usually the pump, water diverter, or timer. Has anyone had something like this fixed, or was it a hassle? Thanks for any input.

Does it have a "dry boost" button (might also be labeled "extended heated dry" or something like that)?
One workaround might be to pop the door open when you notice the cycle is done. That'd aid evaporation, but would be a bit of a pain to have to listen for the cycle to wrap up.

Is the element heating up? There is a vent that opens during the drying cycle to allow moisture out, they can get caked up with calcium deposits if you have hard water and fail, so even with the element heating all it's doing is heating the trapped moisture.

Friend of mine has a Fridgeadare dishwasher that wouldn't work. It was getting power but was dead. I reset the main breaker and it worked again.

Test the high limit thermostat. It is a very inexpensive part. You need a multimeter to test it. Easy fix if this is the problem.

Is the element heating up? There is a vent that opens during the drying cycle to allow moisture out, they can get caked up with calcium deposits if you have hard water and fail, so even with the element heating all it's doing is heating the trapped moisture.
Actually that was one of the troubleshooting tips on Whirlpools website. I took my canister vacuum and blew air through the vent without and blockage.

Are you using rinse aid?

Most modern washers require it to dry properly.

Are you using rinse aid?

Most modern washers require it to dry properly.
Good point. We have a mid-high trim Bosch and they do not use drying elements. It simply (automatically) opens the dishwasher at the end of the cycle and recommends the use of a drying aid and honestly everything but certain plastics come out completely dry.

I just replaced the door latch mechanism on our 1-2yr old Frigidaire dishwasher. This dishwasher doesn't have a handle you press/pull to open the door. It's a friction/click type deal. It's failure mode was quite disturbing. The door would partially flop open while the unit was still running. These things fling a lot of water out of them! If it happened while you weren't home, you'd have serious water damage.

Back