HDEO Shortage - Walmart Shelves nearly empty....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Ilmor 710 calls exactly for M1 Ow-40, and has a large sump thats only good for 20 hours of run time if I stick to the book. Because I rip through a bunch of it I make it fit where its within the window elsewhere.
Any other Xw30 or Xw40 A3/B4 oil, preferably those that caarry MB-Approval 229.5 or Porsche A40, should be a good choice in place of M1 0W40.

There wasn't any here either. I figured the diesel bros had some hard times and decided to save money by gettnig oil from Walmart.

In my case there is none in my "area" which encompasses a bunch of stores. I got a partial delivery and cancellation of the remainder of a booked, prepaid order, which is unusual for them to do at least in my experience.
There have been some reports here of people that work in shops not being able to get their full deliveries of oil they have to take whatever the supplier will give them.
Right, and how many people have plenty available and thus no need to squwak about it on internet message boards?
Can you actually tell us that number?
Because if you don't know that then you don't know if there's a shortage.
So far you've got a handful of guys saying they can't find it. That's all. Please do your homework first so we can have an informed discussion and not just interwebs hype.

An anecdote is not data.

Right, and how many people have plenty available and thus no need to squwak about it on internet message boards?
Can you actually tell us that number?
Because if you don't know that then you don't know if there's a shortage.
So far you've got a handful of guys saying they can't find it. That's all. Please do your homework first so we can have an informed discussion and not just interwebs hype.

An anecdote is not data.

How many do have it available and where are they? You cant answer the question you proffered.

If it doesnt happen to you its an anecdote.

Getting a prepaid ordered cancelled is new behavior to me.

Regardless, if me telling you guys what happened lets a guy decide to make a call vs make a trip its worth it.

My problem is they said they had it, and took my money - then didnt have it. Now I have to make different plans after I made a commitment.Fact.

I dont see the conspiracy with discussing what happened.

My Ilmor 710 calls exactly for M1 Ow-40, and has a large sump thats only good for 20 hours of run time if I stick to the book. Because I rip through a bunch of it I make it fit where its within the window elsewhere.
But it's not about grade really, it's about HT/HS. That's what matters. And the winter rating is irrelevant unless you are starting below -35F or so.

One would think a manufacturer would specify a specification (or license) rather than a grade. Grade is pretty inconsequential in light of everything else that defines an oil.

What the heck has changed? Why does it appear manufacturing volume is lower?

On the other hand.... the shelves are brimming full of all the Walmart branded oil, including plenty of SuperTech 15w40. Do you think this is a deliberate move by Walmart to get their customers to buying their house brand?

If I hear anyone blame COVID for this crap... I will scream.
I think it is an economic matter of supply and demand.

I think the blenders are attempting to catch up after the Covid downturn, which resulted in people involved in the manf. chain to be released. Now, they are trying to get those people back and or train new people. Base oils and DI additives have to be ordered or re-ordered, bottling lines that layed dormant, and the machines in those lines have to re-activated.

I suspect Walmart's supplier (mainly Warren of Omaha) may have cranked up early to meet demand.

From my Schaeffer rep:
------
Allocations:

By now you may or may not have heard this term floating around. If you haven’t, you will be. Unfortunately it appears the Perfect Storm has occurred. First there was XXXXX where the economy shut down and in some places, still remains partially shut down. There was the driver shortage for hauling our freight and that still remains. There was then the Steel shortage and that too still remains. Then there was the Polar Freeze in Texas and the Gulf Coast Region where the majority of our Oil Refineries and Additive/Chemical Companies are located. They did not simply shut themselves down but the Freeze shut them down, causing much damage in the process and they are still not back in full operation. Schaeffer and all of the major oil companies have been told that base oil and additives will be in short supply through the summer months and we will either receive these ingredients only partially when ordered/allocated or much delayed by weeks.

------

So it should resolve in a few months.

It’s allotment. Everyone who sells it is allotted X amount and when it sells out, they have to wait until they get more shipped into the logistics system. When I was a tech at a Honda dealer, they were only allotted so many cars as an example. Dealers that scorebetter with customers got more than crappy dealers.
Yep,
And the dealers that sell more will also receive more of the harder to find "limited edition" vehicles too.
Basically it's a way of showing appreciation for those who move more inventory.

Just because some local stores are out of oil doesn’t mean it’s a shortage.
I buy my oil at Walmart and if they are sold out I buy it online. Arrives two days mostly.
Just like Amazon, Walmart has it online too. Buy all you want and good prices below, no shortage, delivered to your front door.

Last edited:
How many do have it available and where are they? You cant answer the question you proffered.
You are correct that I can't answer that question. But I'm not the one claiming a shortage, that would be you.
The fact that I can't answer the question doesn't make you conclusion true. I asked the question that no one can answer to prove the point that neither of us know the answer.

What you have done is committed the fallacy of a false generalization. Look it up.

Why even bother with Walmart stores or Walmart.com. It’s not just oil that they are out of or low on. Walmart has become a joke. I very seldom grace their doors. I would go on my local Walmart’s website and see if an item that I needed was in stock. It would show it was in stock and when I got to the store, they wouldn’t have it. The majority of the employees could give a rat’s rear end about helping customers. Fine! I just took my business elsewhere.

But it's not about grade really, it's about HT/HS. That's what matters. And the winter rating is irrelevant unless you are starting below -35F or so.

One would think a manufacturer would specify a specification (or license) rather than a grade. Grade is pretty inconsequential in light of everything else that defines an oil.

Seems weird to me too.

DSC05620.jpg

Last edited:
You are correct that I can't answer that question. But I'm not the one claiming a shortage, that would be you.
The fact that I can't answer the question doesn't make you conclusion true. I asked the question that no one can answer to prove the point that neither of us know the answer.

What you have done is committed the fallacy of a false generalization. Look it up.

Its not available in my an area or about 100 miles according to them, but they told me I could get it if I ordered.

I did and they they failed to deliver a prepaid order in totality and are working on a refund.

You're going by the oil cap advertisement as a "spec"??

No.

I figured thats a lot prettier than me digging out the manual that also states it, and I had the picture on hand, but the manual is somewhere buried in a closet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back