HDEO Shortage - Walmart Shelves nearly empty....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently moved from a metro area to the Western Slope of Colorado. Before I left, I checked three Walmarts and I have checked another 3 Walmarts out west and there is a massive shortage of HDEO's. There is some conventional 15w40 on the shelves, but good luck finding any synthetic.

I ended up ordering 6 gallons of Rotella on Amazon. .....no problems there.

I have asked several Walmart automotive Mgrs... what's the deal. They are all saying that the Walmart Distribution Centers don't have the oil and therefore, nothing is being shipped to the stores.

What the heck has changed? Why does it appear manufacturing volume is lower?

On the other hand.... the shelves are brimming full of all the Walmart branded oil, including plenty of SuperTech 15w40. Do you think this is a deliberate move by Walmart to get their customers to buying their house brand?

If I hear anyone blame COVID for this crap... I will scream.

I would think Walmart is a bigger client than just about anyone, so if they want the oil they will get it.

Maybe they want a discount from certain manufacturers andstopped ordering till they get it or give in. that would empty the shelves quickly as people would just get what's available.

I recently moved from a metro area to the Western Slope of Colorado. Before I left, I checked three Walmarts and I have checked another 3 Walmarts out west and there is a massive shortage of HDEO's. There is some conventional 15w40 on the shelves, but good luck finding any synthetic.

I ended up ordering 6 gallons of Rotella on Amazon. .....no problems there.

I have asked several Walmart automotive Mgrs... what's the deal. They are all saying that the Walmart Distribution Centers don't have the oil and therefore, nothing is being shipped to the stores.

What the heck has changed? Why does it appear manufacturing volume is lower?

On the other hand.... the shelves are brimming full of all the Walmart branded oil, including plenty of SuperTech 15w40. Do you think this is a deliberate move by Walmart to get their customers to buying their house brand?

If I hear anyone blame COVID for this crap... I will scream.
Was in our Wally World last week and the shelves were full of HDEO except 1 quart bottles of Rotella T4 15W40... On the flip side, there were plenty of empty spots related to Super Tech PCMO.

Just my $0.02

I've hardly ever seen synthetic 15w-40 on the shelves of any store around here. Rotella T5 is even more rare.

Wal Mart doenst have much of anything, and cant deliver what they committed to.

I have two engines that use 0W-40 and they could only deliver 5 -5 QT jugs and refunded the rest.

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 8.09.41 AM.png

Wal Mart doenst have much of anything, and cant deliver what they committed to.

I have two engines that use 0W-40 and they could only deliver 5 -5 QT jugs and refunded the rest.
That must be local, the Walmart near my house and the one near work both have a full shelf of Mobil 1 0W-40 (and 5W-40 with BMW LL-01) and the similar Castrol product. I just got some for my old Sienna.

It’s allotment. Everyone who sells it is allotted X amount and when it sells out, they have to wait until they get more shipped into the logistics system. When I was a tech at a Honda dealer, they were only allotted so many cars as an example. Dealers that scorebetter with customers got more than crappy dealers.

That must be local, the Walmart near my house and the one near work both have a full shelf of Mobil 1 0W-40 (and 5W-40 with BMW LL-01) and the similar Castrol product. I just got some for my old Sienna.

Seems a little more widespread like a regional issue, likely shipping delays, or running lean inventory.

For the past couple of months, the Walmarts I frequent have very little oil on the shelves. HDEO or PCMO. Mobil 1 0-40 is rarely found. I wonder if hoarding is taking place or they are just not getting it.

Another thread of 'None at my store so therefore there's a shortage!'......

Repeat after me.
An anecdote is not data.
An anecdote is not data.
An anecdote is not data.

In my case there is none in my "area" which encompasses a bunch of stores.

I got a partial delivery and cancellation of the remainder of a booked, prepaid order, which is unusual for them to do at least in my experience.

Another thread of 'None at my store so therefore there's a shortage!'......

Repeat after me.
An anecdote is not data.
An anecdote is not data.
An anecdote is not data.
There have been some reports here of people that work in shops not being able to get their full deliveries of oil they have to take whatever the supplier will give them.

In my case there is none in my "area" which encompasses a bunch of stores.

I got a partial delivery and cancellation of the remainder of a booked, prepaid order, which is unusual for them to do at least in my experience.
I'm not sure of your application but a reasonable substitute is Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL (3.5 HT/HS and Porsche C30, VW 504 000 approval) which is available on Walmart.com for $24.04/5 quarts. Buy two and shipping is free. Very low ash content.

the one by me which is 40 minutes away doesnt even stock castrol gtx most of the time, theres always only a gallon of gtx 15w40, the only mobil 1 is 10w30 and 5w20, and even supertech is lacking, with only 5w30 and 20w50.

They stock more mobil 1 filters, but its a clutter, and then you have half empty boxes of fram filters, and the occasional returned motor oil jug with used oil in it.

I'm not sure of your application but a reasonable substitute is Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL (3.5 HT/HS and Porsche C30, VW 504 000 approval) which is available on Walmart.com for $24.04/5 quarts. Buy two and shipping is free. Very low ash content.

Thanks.

I'm totally ok substituting brands and viscosity for one mill - the non emission equipped diesel motorhome and genset.

My Ilmor 710 calls exactly for M1 Ow-40, and has a large sump thats only good for 20 hours of run time if I stick to the book. Because I rip through a bunch of it I make it fit where its within the window elsewhere.

I wouldn't even bother bringing any of this up if I hadn't had a cancellation of a prepaid order, because Ill just substitute, but this a first for me to have this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back