HD 15W40 usage questions

I'm finishing my engine and have a couple questions for the oil guru's..I've used chevron 15w40 religiously in my trucks for 20+ years. I'm now (cause of this forum) looking at oils in a different manner..

My question revolves around what things I've been reading. I know a lot of things can contribute to this issue but I'll ask anyways.

I've read of several truckers using chevron and shell rotella 15w40 in their engines only to experience elevated usage, but after switching to delvac the usage would drop to minimal if any at all.

Does this sound right? Would the 2 different oils be that different that it would cause usage differences?

Every engine can be different and what ever others say doesn't mean it is so. I am sure if you look hard enough you will find people saying Mobil Delvac 1300 is terrible oil.

Last edited:
Every engine can be different and what ever others say doesn't mean it is so. I am sure if you look hard enough you will find people saying Mobil Delvac 1300 is terrible oil.

I'm sure. And I'd agree. I just wouldn't understand how an engine can go from using a gallon in 10k miles with one oil, to not using any with another oil. Just seems like there is more to it.

Back