Hazards on during heavy rain/snow/low visibility....what say you?

Oh wait...here's a bomb to drop in this thread....

I also coded my my car to have "emegency brake lights" so if I SLAM on the brakes/activiate ABS the brake lights flash then once stopped....the hazards come on.....they go off once you start moving again....this should not be confused with brake lights that do this anytime you touch the brakes/activate the brake lights....which I typically find annoying to sit behind in traffic.

OIP.jpeg

Last edited:
I see lots of “ special equipment” ( and drivers ) in the ditch.

Years ago there was a local car dealer that ran an ad about a girl who was the only one to show up to work in a snowstorm because...

....she had a 4x4 SUV. The boss was quite impressed, and gave her a raise. Or something like that.

How the hell did people get to work in the snow 40 years ago?

Around here I think 90% of people who have their rear fog light on do not even know it's on, or know what it is.

As for the OP's question, people doing this is not right. Sometimes people do things that they feel is "safer" but when it is not part of normal procedures it confuses other drivers and actually makes things more dangerous.

Really the only time I will flash my hazards while moving is if there is really hard braking on the freeway and people are coming up behind me. Even then it's only for a few seconds.
The absolute worst was when GM would illuminate the reverse lights when locking or unlocking.

100% agree. I'm trying to understand why some folks get angry about it? I've read enough folks chirping about "idiots with their flashers on" and I think "how many accidents have you been in?" ahahah
I ready a study where chronic flashers are heavy oil additive users. That might be an issue in a BITOG traffic situation.

GET OUT OF MY WAY TIGEO....TURN YOUR FLASHERS OFF....PROBABLY USED MOS2 TODAY TOO!!!!!
Coming back from Florida a few years back I got caught on I95 at Richmond and you couldn't see 20 feet in front of you going very slow. The truckers were scary because they were making their own lanes. The flashers would come on and I wouldn't give a hoot.

100% agree. I'm trying to understand why some folks get angry about it? I've read enough folks chirping about "idiots with their flashers on" and I think "how many accidents have you been in?" ahahah
Those folks that get upset about a driver using common sense are the same folks that are angry at everything, and just naturally aggressive and cause most of the accidents. Basically your typical Texas driver 😄

Allowing the use of hazards in reduced visibility is a terrible idea because of what would happen. It would mean asking drivers to make an assessment of what is reduced visibility and we already know that some can't do that sensibly from the way fog lights are turned on when visibility is still several hundred yards. High intensity rear Fog lights when not needed are a hazard in themselves because they reduce the contrast with brake lights and hazards would also be hazardous for the same reason if used when not necessary. More light doesn't always mean better visibility, it can just mean less contrast, more glare and more annoyance.

This thread is getting a little silly. It's not hard to figure out when it's appropriate to use the four ways while underway.
If you're at the end of the train in any sort of sudden bad conditions, like coming to a virtual stop due to an accident ahead, very heavy rain, black ice, identified by a pile of vehicles with southern state plates piled up in the median and ditch to the right, or a sudden snow squall, then using the four ways is just common sense.
You're giving following traffic notice that they need to be prepared to slow way down in a hurry, lest they ruin your day with a rear-ender.

Allowing the use of hazards in reduced visibility is a terrible idea because of what would happen. It would mean asking drivers to make an assessment of what is reduced visibility and we already know that some can't do that sensibly from the way fog lights are turned on when visibility is still several hundred yards. High intensity rear Fog lights when not needed are a hazard in themselves because they reduce the contrast with brake lights and hazards would also be hazardous for the same reason if used when not necessary. More light doesn't always mean better visibility, it can just mean less contrast, more glare and more annoyance.
Doesn't matter why they've activated 4 ways, you are behind them. For the sake of self preservation and for the safety of others, you should slow down and do the same.

Allowing the use of hazards in reduced visibility is a terrible idea because of what would happen.
What would happen? You see that cars are slowing WAY down from the normal pace? Have you ever driven in rain so hard/dark out you can't see v. far ahead? Those flashers are nice (to me).

No idea why it triggers people. If I come across someone who’s using them I’ll slow down, turn mine on till someone else is safely behind me then turn mine off as the clicking drives me nuts after a few minutes. I’d rather not be rear ended by someone who “couldn’t see” my vehicle either.

But around my area it seems people use it to justify driving 20 in a 55 because it just started snowing, despite the road being treated and not a single flake on the road yet 🙄

Bugs me when I see it and there is no reason for it—doing the limit and visibility is perfect and no apparent vehicle issue.

Don’t use mine very often. But then I think think the limit is a minimum under most conditions, and a target in poor conditions. ;) I don’t use ‘em in snow, either it is only me on the road or everyone is likewise going the same speed—really no need for them when the highway has turned into a parking lot.

Oh wait...here's a bomb to drop in this thread....

I also coded my my car to have "emegency brake lights" so if I SLAM on the brakes/activiate ABS the brake lights flash then once stopped....the hazards come on.....they go off once you start moving again....this should not be confused with brake lights that do this anytime you touch the brakes/activate the brake lights....which I typically find annoying to sit behind in traffic.

View attachment 156502

I was actually going to post about this because it is quite common in Europe to see hazards come on after heavy braking. I saw it few times and thought to myself how these drivers activated them so quickly.
I read up on it and it turns out a lot of models, seems mostly German have that feature right out of the factory.

For NA market they disable it.

I was actually going to post about this because it is quite common in Europe to see hazards come on after heavy braking. I saw it few times and thought to myself how these drivers activated them so quickly.
I read up on it and it turns out a lot of models, seems mostly German have that feature right out of the factory.

For NA market they disable it.
Yep. Was simple to activate. They call it "high-intensity brake lights".

Bugs me when I see it and there is no reason for it—doing the limit and visibility is perfect and no apparent vehicle issue.

Don’t use mine very often. But then I think think the limit is a minimum under most conditions, and a target in poor conditions. ;) I don’t use ‘em in snow, either it is only me on the road or everyone is likewise going the same speed—really no need for them when the highway has turned into a parking lot.
I agree. This situation was not as you describe where there is no reason to use them.

Years ago there was a local car dealer that ran an ad about a girl who was the only one to show up to work in a snowstorm because...

....she had a 4x4 SUV. The boss was quite impressed, and gave her a raise. Or something like that.

How the hell did people get to work in the snow 40 years ago?

Good proper snow tires and tire chains!

It's like the one driver who doesn't have headlights on in grey out conditions from the rain. It's all subjective and highly opinionated, they think they are in the right because they feel safe.

Personally to me it's unneeded and gives people the illusion of safety when it's actually worse consider you have no idea if they are indicating a lane change.

It doesn't bother me but I think it's stupid regardless, we can see it's raining, we can see it's snowing, and if you are driving a vehicle you shouldn't need hazards to alert you traffic is stopped 1/4 mile down the road.. However like people sticking their wipers up in the NE when it snows, it's common practice but albeit useless.

Back