Hazards on during heavy rain/snow/low visibility....what say you?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Had a HUGE rain last night that caught me coming home from dinner....so 30mph or so max on a 60mph highway. Many folks fuss about people that use their hazards during these conditions driving v. slowly. I personally do not do this typically but also don't have an issue with it b/c you can certainly see the vehicles in front of you better vs. the regular somewhat dull tails. Why does this trigger some folks?

Illegal in our state to have hazard flashers on while in motion.

In Virginia, “hazard light use is not permitted while driving except for emergency vehicles, stopped or slowed vehicles to indicate a traffic hazard, when traveling as part of a funeral procession, or traveling slower than 30 mph.”

In Virginia, “hazard light use is not permitted while driving except for emergency vehicles, stopped or slowed vehicles to indicate a traffic hazard, when traveling as part of a funeral procession, or traveling slower than 30 mph.”
Italics mine.

That is precisely what TiG was doing, so, not illegal.

While the point about increased visibility is valid, I've always looked at it from the perspective that hazards can be a good visual cue that something unusual is going on, and the drivers approaching from behind need to give bit of conscious thought to the situation. I think most people's automatic time/distance and closing speed calculations are based on everyone going similar speeds on a given roadway.

Either way, no issue for me as long as people don't think their 4-ways grant them special permission to break traffic laws.

Doesn't bother me in the least, and it has alerted me many times to slowed traffic ahead during severe conditions. In my mind it is appropriate to put on the flashers when you have to run 5-10 mph slower (or more) than the posted limit. Trucks do it all the time on long climbs. Helps to alert you from a longer distance that traffic ahead is going slow.

If you are going substantially slower than the speed limit due to a weather/vis issue then it's fine per your post.

While the point about increased visibility is valid, I've always looked at it from the perspective that hazards can be a good visual cue that something unusual is going on, and the drivers approaching from behind need to give bit of conscious thought to the situation. I think most people's automatic time/distance and closing speed calculations are based on everyone going similar speeds on a given roadway.

Either way, no issue for me as long as people don't think their 4-ways grant them special permission to break traffic laws.
Think about all the massive pile ups that happen in foggy/snow conditions you read about...folks going speed limit+ then encounter MUCH slower traffice and drama ensues....flashers *could* aid in it if they give further ahead vis.

I said I do not do this typically.
Sorry, point is, using hazards to indicate a hazard from a slowed vehicle is legal. I also think it is a good idea.

If it’s required for trucks traveling below 40 mph on the interstate to indicate a hazard, then using them to indicate a hazard in inclement weather seems perfectly reasonable.

Sorry, point is, using hazards to indicate a hazard from a slowed vehicle is legal. I also think it is a good idea.

If it’s required for trucks traveling below 40 mph on the interstate to indicate a hazard, then using them to indicate a hazard in inclement weather seems perfectly reasonable.
100% agree. I'm trying to understand why some folks get angry about it? I've read enough folks chirping about "idiots with their flashers on" and I think "how many accidents have you been in?" ahahah

Doesn’t bother me if a driver turns the hazards on when reduced visibility ( heavy rain/snow or fog ).

Biggest safety issue I see up here is when it’s heavy snow during the day and drivers do not turn on any lights ( just day time running lights….no back lights on ) which makes it very hard to see them when approaching from behind.

Also, snow builds up on back tailgate and eventually drivers from behind cannot even tell if they are on which is dangerous if they are driving far slower than everyone else.

Crazy snow storms last season driving.

I was going to write that I see the professional truck drivers using them when it's raining very hard and people slow way down. Or if there if the flow of traffic goes from 80 mph down to 20 mph suddenly.

I'll put my flashers on if I encounter slow or stopped traffic to help avoid anyone rear-ending me.

Italics mine.

That is precisely what TiG was doing, so, not illegal.
What traffic hazard? Don't think people feeling like they shouldn't be driving is the intent of the law. A "traffic hazard" means a wreck/blockage, otherwise, if you can't drive in the rain then pull off the road. Once you're on the side of the road THEN turn your hazards on.

Back