Hazards on during heavy rain/snow/low visibility....what say you?

What traffic hazard? Don't think people feeling like they shouldn't be driving is the intent of the law. A "traffic hazard" means a wreck/blockage, otherwise, if you can't drive in the rain then pull off the road. Once you're on the side of the road THEN turn your hazards on.
Going significantly slower than normal is a hazard.

The law you quoted states that. The law requiring slow trucks on the highway to use hazards states that.

I once drove up a mountain road into the clouds. This wasn't any ordinary fog--I couldn't see any part of the road unless I opened the driver door to watch the center line, which I did. Flashers wouldn't have done me any good, but I assumed that once I drove into it far enough nobody behind me would be stupid enough to keep coming! I eventually was able to slowly drive out of it holding the driver door open. Frankly, I think there is not enough flasher use--please put them on if you have pulled off to the side or onto the shoulder! Also, if you have to suddenly slow up on the highway, please flash your brake lights multiple times.

Going significantly slower than normal is a hazard.

The law you quoted states that. The law requiring slow trucks on the highway to use hazards states that.
Everyone was going significantly slower than normal, sooo that was the new normal. No hazard existed.

Doesn't matter to me, I appreciate when people use them because it lets me know they are a person who I need to watch out for because they know they shouldn't be on the road at that time.

It's fine and all, until you see a vehicle going 50 miles an hour down the left lane of the interstate with its flashers on, in a rain storm... with everyone else passing it in the right lane.

Not sure if it is a lack of driving skill, a complete lack of awareness... or both.

Anytime I am going significantly slower than the posted speed limit due to weather or stopped/slow traffic ahead, including checking my rear view mirror to warn others coming up behind me, hazard signal goes on right away.
Hence hazard signals, legal use in all the states to indicate a hazard and warn others behind you.

Everyone was going significantly slower than normal, sooo that was the new normal. No hazard existed.

Doesn't matter to me, I appreciate when people use them because it lets me know they are a person who I need to watch out for because they know they shouldn't be on the road at that time.
Many years ago…

I-70 westbound out of Golden. Posted 70 MPH limit. Raining. Rain changes to ice with altitude. I feel the car slip, a tiny bit, so I slow to 30 MPH because I’m driving on ice. I put on the hazards.

I then watch the bozo behind me, the one who thinks I’m the idiot who should not be on the road, pass me at 70, and then lose control. The first of dozens of cars in the subsequent pile up.

Maybe that guy should’ve paid more attention.

The presumption that I am the incompetent, because I used my hazards, is foolish. I avoided losing control. I avoided the pile up.

I tried to warn those behind me.

But hey, that guy knew better…

I welcome hazards on in those cases. It makes seeing the vehicles around you much easier in really low visibility. A few years ago I encountered rain like that where speeds were around 25-30mph on a 65mph highway, couldn't see the lines on the highway, and you had to be ~10-15ft from the car in front of you to see their tail lights and 'guess' where the lane markings were. That was the day I also found out the wiper motors on the focus couldn't be used on high for more than 5 minutes or they slow down and stop. There are lots of signs on the highway that will say slow down during adverse weather conditions.

Speed limits are predicated on clear weather and dry pavement. In adverse conditions it may not be safe to go the speed limit, and if you run into someone you couldn't see going slower, you are at fault for going too fast for the conditions.

In general I'm a "hazards" hater. What Tigeo describes is, IMO the correct use of hazards. Far to many operators throw hazards on for reasons that certainly appear to be indiscriminate use. That IMO causes more negative than ay positive it may be seeking to put forth.

I'll echo Mrsilv04. The usual suspect here is driving in the left lane, well below the speed limit, in very light rain or snow conditions with their flashers on, wondering why everyone is upset at them.

If you want to do so, you shouldn't be in the passing/left lane - you should be over in the right lane.

And if it is just run of the mill precipitation - rain or snow, there is zero need. There seem to be some who think that driving in any precipitation requires flashers...

That’s what the rear fog light is for.
Not all cars have rear fog light(s). Even worse are the people that use rear fog light(s) in non-inclement weather conditions, since some manufactures have a rear fog switch that is directly tied to the front fog, ie when the front fogs are on, so are the rear fog (and drivers are too lazy/stupid to turn it off).

VW requires you to physically turn on the rear fog each time, as it is a last pull detent on the switch.

Not all cars have rear fog light(s). Even worse are the people that use rear fog light(s) in non-inclement weather conditions, since some manufactures have a rear fog switch that is directly tied to the front fog, ie when the front fogs are on, so are the rear fog (and drivers are too lazy/stupid to turn it off).

VW requires you to physically turn on the rear fog each time, as it is a last pull detent on the switch.
Hate it. Think they are braking.

Last edited:
Had a HUGE rain last night that caught me coming home from dinner....so 30mph or so max on a 60mph highway. Many folks fuss about people that use their hazards during these conditions driving v. slowly. I personally do not do this typically but also don't have an issue with it b/c you can certainly see the vehicles in front of you better vs. the regular somewhat dull tails. Why does this trigger some folks?
The real hazard is people with improper tires, which applies mostly to snow conditions, or worn out tires for the conditions (rain and snow).

In general I'm a "hazards" hater. What Tigeo describes is, IMO the correct use of hazards. Far to many operators throw hazards on for reasons that certainly appear to be indiscriminate use. That IMO causes more negative than ay positive it may be seeking to put forth.
What negative are you talking about? If the conditions aren’t really that bad you simply pass them and you don’t see the hazards anymore. What’s the problem?

Many years ago…

I-70 westbound out of Golden. Posted 70 MPH limit. Raining. Rain changes to ice with altitude. I feel the car slip, a tiny bit, so I slow to 30 MPH because I’m driving on ice. I put on the hazards.

I then watch the bozo behind me, the one who thinks I’m the idiot who should not be on the road, pass me at 70, and then lose control. The first of dozens of cars in the subsequent pile up.

The presumption that I am the incompetent, because I used my hazards, is foolish. I avoided losing control. I avoided the pile up.

Many years ago…

You proved my point. No one can drive on ice without special equipment, you shouldn't have been on the road and you knew it.

Lol. That horse of yours must be might high.

Virginians as a general rule are awful at driving in inclement weather.

For example, the first thing they do when it starts to rain? Slam on the brakes. No, not slow down gradually, SLAM ON THE BRAKES.

They're also perfectly content to shut everything down for a week if we get any snow or ice. Of course they clean out the shelves of all the bread, milk, and toilet paper before any snow or ice is forecast.

I don't think driving slowly during inclement weather is any different than driving slowly because you've got a donut spare on the car, which you would definitely have your hazards on for. I wouldn't hesitate to put my hazards on if I had to slow down due to bad enough weather that affects visibility.

Back