Hazards on during heavy rain/snow/low visibility....what say you?

If you're scared, pull over and wait.
Before I moved to Texas, I never slowed down during rain, didn’t need to.
But the huge downpours here had me slowing down to 40-50mph a few times. You simply cannot see far enough, plus the water doesn’t drain fast enough in some places and there are a lot of big puddles on the highway. Going fast over them is a guaranteed hydroplane situation.
Pulling over is not smart either because with such low visibility, especially at night, someone will most likely rear end you.

Nothing to do with being scared. Common sense should prevail over bravado for most adults.

Before I moved to Texas, I never slowed down during rain, didn’t need to.
But the huge downpours here had me slowing down to 40-50mph a few times. You simply cannot see far enough, plus the water doesn’t drain fast enough in some places and there are a lot of big puddles on the highway. Going fast over them is a guaranteed hydroplane situation.
Pulling over is not smart either because with such low visibility, especially at night, someone will most likely rear end you.

Nothing to do with being scared. Common sense should prevail over bravado for most adults.
No exits on a Texas highway?

I once had to drive I70 in PA and Maryland in a snow storm. I could not go faster than 35MPH. I suppose I should have pulled off the highway since I couldn't go 55-65MPH, according to some here.

Who knows how long storms will last. No sense in sitting in your car for hours on end waiting for a storm to calm when you could be making progress towards the safety of your home with your hazards on.
No exits on a Texas highway?
That's worse than staying on the interstate. A lot of exits will have downhill descents, some of which are steep enough to force you into a slide if you weren't already hydroplaning before during a large downpour.

Last edited:
If you're scared, pull over and wait.
Who said I was scared? Who said anyone was scared? The speed was adjusted to the conditions and cars proceeded. They used their hazards b/c visability was v. low and could proceed at an appropriate speed...the flashing lights only help. I don't get this issue at all.

Back