Havoline observation..

Status
Not open for further replies.
All car makers have problems. i think i have had about every make at one time or another. but,this forum is about oil and being helpful. Not putting down someone or their vehicle.
I have loved just about all the cars i have had. they are like children to me. some come with a little trouble some don't.
BUT ONE THING IS FOR SURE, YOU GOT TO GIVE THEM FLINTSTONES AND GOOD OIL!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
After giving GM 4 tries and over 100K for vehicles, I can bash them whenever, however and as much as I want to.

Good for you
rolleyes.gif

A mod at another board I frequent has a good line for people like you: "Ask meaningful questions, give meaningful answers, banter playfully with each other or ****."

jeff

Bill in Utah,

I had a 2000 Silverado, 5300 Engine, auto transmission, extended cab. I have to say that it was the most comfortable, best riding vehicle I have ever owned. The 5.3L GM smallblock V8 is the best small block V8 engine on the market, hands down. There is nothing out there that can compete on power, torque and fuel economy.

With that said, I will give you a run down of the problems that had or were developing at the end of my ownership at 5.25 years and 100k miles-

Fuel gauge "waved" at you when the tank was near empty or if you had recently filled up. I'm talking it would show empty, then full, then halfway. For about 65 miles. Then it would settle down. I was probably looking at a fuel pump module to repair this. Fuel pumps aren't known for their longevity in the full size GM products.

One of the ABS sensors was having problems. This meant that a wheel bearing assembly was going to be replaced. The Brake/ABS light would come on the dash at times.

The Trip/Odometer push post had just about stopped working. You had to fuss with it for several minutes to get it to switch ONCE.

The horn had stopped working. It was blowing fuses. I had people all over the place on this one, from spending a few hours finding a short to taking the steering wheel off and dealing with the airbag.

In that vehicle, those repairs alone were estimated at $1500.

Before that, I had a 1998 Z71 Extended cab with a 5 speed. The thing would mysteriously jump idle at a red light to 1500-2000 rpm. No explaination. You could also drive down the road, push in the clutch and put it in neutral and watch the tach go from 750 to 1500 or so. GM didn't have an answer for that besides "They had reset the computer for the transmission."

My wife had a 1998 Lumina. A certified piece of junk. at 75k miles, it needed a lifter and intake gasket. 2k miles later, I was putting a battery in it. (Yeah, I know, maintenance). 2500 miles later, I was putting a water pump on it. A month later it was an alternator. A year before that, it was the blinker switch. A KNOWN failure in these cars, a repair to the tune of $300.

And when we gave it back to the Chevy Stealership, it still had a vacuum leak that caused the HVAC dampers to go from blowing air on the front to the feet when the throttle was engaged. An estimate on that job was in the $600's from a private mechanic.

So, we haul that junker down and trade for a Trailblazer EXT. Oh. What a Frankenstein. Noisy, weak, poor fuel mileage, and 100's of recalls. If you want confirmation, trot down to your local GM dealer and ask for a list of recalls on the 2003 Trailblazer EXT's.

Have fun.

Oh, and I will post a UOA from a 2005 Honda Accord sometime. I might start doing UOA's on it after 50k miles. But I am not really worried about that engine.

You might see a UOA from a 1995 Accord with 150k miles on it before that.

thooks,
I think you missing the whole point here. beanoil asked a simple question. Does Havoline syn blend meet GM spec 6094? Very simple question. He didn't ask your personal opinion of GM vehicles, or Hondas. He just wants to know if the oil meets the spec in question. If you don't know, then don't post. If you want to bash GM, start your own thead.

quote:

I had a 2000 Silverado...With that said, I will give you a run down of the problems...

Fuel gauge "waved" at you...

One of the ABS sensors...

The Trip/Odometer...

The horn...

My comment is How/Where did you get the idea that owning/operating a vehicle is a maintenance free endeavor?

My 1999 Silverado 4x4 extended cab, which I sold in 2005 with 123K, and the repairs made during the final 2 yrs:

Infamous "Service 4 Wheel Drive" message due to faulty solder connections on the dashboard switch.

Brakes - New rotors & pads all around.

Speed module failed on the interior heater/AC blower motor.

Vapor cannister solenoid in the fuel tank failed.

And what's the "rest of the story", as Paul Harvey would say?

- I sold my 1999 Silverado and got a low mileage 2001 GMC 4x4 Sierra, same 5.3L engine, with the 4 dr extended cab.

I don't loose sleep over the small stuff.
wink.gif

BTW, Thooks - What kind of cheese goes best with your GM whine?
lol.gif

While trying not to **** anyone off. I bought a Brand new 1997 Chevy Silveraldo ( 5.7 ) and it was a lemon. These are the things I replace between 36,000 and 80,000 miles. After the warrenty expired.
Alternator.
Waterpump.
Diod for daytime running lights.
Intake gasket. ( coolant loss )
Heater hose connector going to intake (Front)
snapped off. Left me side of Rd. Cheap cast aluminum ( I think )
Wiper Motor .
Tranny shear the Sungear and left me down and out on the side of the RD.$$$$
Tranny shift selinod died.. Again $$$$
Radiator imploded and mixed antifreeze with tranny fluid. $$$$$$
Also the fuel guage quit work .Completely.

This truck has never towed anything and was babied pretty much.

That was my first and last GM vehicle. I sold it at 100,000 and went Import. Thank you for hearing me whine. LOL. Oiler

Someone call the whambulance...

I bought a car and it broke, why o why did it break? Car is supposed to run for ever.

Please every hater has the same story. You guys could at least stop copying each other or make a thread you can all share sob stories in.

BOT:

Well I would just go synthetic given she drives an appropiate amount or the blend if she doesn't. I like regular oil but I try to give the best I can to my cars.

GM uses the OLM on the Maxx right? I would say start with synthetic blend for one change and go from there. See what the car thinks of the way she drives and her amount. Take a sample and adjust accordingly.

oiler I know how you feel. GM = cr@p. Wised up after years of constant breakages. Chev 350ci engine was OK but Saginaw g'box and Salisbury 10 bolt differential just cheap rubbish. Never again

Maybe this picture will answer your question.
It is of my '97 Grand Prix that I had to do an intake gasket job on. Over 308,000 miles on regular Havoline 10W30. Intake job was a success and back on the road. Valve area looks good to me. You be the judge.
 -

I watched the thread for a while, but stayed away until it cooled off a little. Thanks Bill in Utah, for sound advice, and to the others too. GM 6094 is a cold pump spec, and technically, the syn blend does not meet it-- BUT-- I'm no where in an area where any oil will have to pump at -40, so I'm not going to concern myself with the low temp cp pumping spec. thooks, sorry you have had issues with GM's, but frankly, the problems you listed were irritants, and it looks like you were never left stranded. I won't clutter the thread with details but, Ford's have left me stranded 3 times out of 7 vehicles, and Chrysler has a 100% record of leaving me walking in the rain. I guess thats why there is more than one vehicle manufacturer, so everyone has a chance to gripe equally. Good luck with whatever you drive, but I like GM enough that I just bought my wife an 06 Envoy for our anniversary. I expect it will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back