Havoline conventional + four ball test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find that post about the Four Ball test which compared all the different brands.
I remember it stating that Havoline did not perform very well. What ever came of that?
Does this test indicated anything all that bad about Havoline?

Do a search on the four ball test.. The test by itself means little to real world application in an engine.

Do a search under General topics, there is quite a discussion there in response to my question on the relevance of the four ball test. The jury is still out in my mind. Nobody has proven to me it is useless, just a lot of "believe this" or "believe that".

1bioguy,
Based on your question of this particular test, does it steer you away from using Havoline?

Well I'm pretty much stuck with the couple of cases anf 5 gal. jugs I bought based on it's following here. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, particularly if you keep a reasonable OCI. If it's API SL or SM it has to be decent enough to make the grade. But given other brands at similar pricing, I'd go with the Conoce blends or Castrol on sale. Like the bottle though....
biggthumbcoffe.gif

1bioguy,
You like the bottle?
smile.gif
LOL The Havoline bottle?
Yeah...well you seem to feel that four ball test really holds some weight, and I did notice how Castrol GTX ranked up there pretty high. I can always get GTX for the same price as Havoline. And I dump my oil at 3k anyway. For me, it likely makes no difference what the h--l I use eh?

Obviously there is a difference in the oil's with the four ball test, but there are many variables. In any case, at 3K oci, you could use anything on sale and be fine.

Yep, I've been told this time and time again, that I can use anything with 3k oci and be fine, yet I still want to use the best dino out there.

Actually Havoline is a fine motor oil. You can use it with confidence for a 3k interval.

The 4 ball does show certain motor oils do better, and I guess Amsoil can brag that they do pretty good at it. I think it has to with very extreme pressure and heat and only a small amount of lubricant and the resultant wear in such conditions. Unlikely any engine will have these conditions, but there it is.

I have quit obsessing about oil. Havoline, Castrol GTX, Motorcraft or TropArtic, whichever is cheapest at the time. Any of these oils used at reasonable intervals will help the engine last longer than I'm likely to own the vehicle. There really isn't enough difference to fret over.

Havoline is just fine on a 3K OCI.
The 4 ball test doesn't tell me squat about a motor oil.....and how that motor oil will perform inside a internal combustion engine.....nothing ....zilch...nada....

sgtgeek,
Yes, it may be fine for a 3k oci, but I've also heard it is just fine for a 4-5k OCI.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what the VOA and UOA's show, it's the better dino to extend an OCI on.

Off Topic: Do any of you guys ever twist off the oil cap on top of the engine after changing out the oil and driving for about a few miles, AND see smoke coming out? Normal thing? New oil just trying to warm up/turn reddish brown etc?

Oh yeah, i just changed my oil today and it was 5w30 Havoline =)

I've noticed after I shut the engine off to drain the old..that when I pull the oil cap off the top of the engine, I see smoke rising out, but only when it is very cold out. When the weather is hot, I don't notice that

quote:

I couldn't find that post about the Four Ball test which compared all the different brands.
I remember it stating that Havoline did not perform very well. What ever came of that?
Does this test indicated anything all that bad about Havoline?

grbr95, is this the post you are talking about? Oil Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back