Havoline conventional + four ball test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 51 years old.Have owned Vehicles since around 1972.Have always used Havoline.No complaints.I now have a 1993 F-150 with 163,000 miles on it.I have always used Hav. 10W-40 in it and change the oil & filter at 4000 miles.It had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it in 1995.Also use FL-1A filters bought at Wal-Mart.

Havoline does have a load of moly and its UOAs indicate very good wear protection. I wouldn't be too concerned about its antiwear properties in real engine useage. Reminds me of the arms race in the late fifties. Russia detonated a mammoth 50 megaton prototype. People in this country were running hysterically that all we had were 10 megaton warheads. Does anyone seriously believe Russian defense planners felt any more secure about that disparity? In either case, if one goes off overhead and you're not wearing fifty gazillion sunblock, you're gonna have a real bad day.

It is also a matter of engine type and refinement. Most major brand oils will do a good job in modern engines to 5000 miles. Some engines are better than others. Honda for example has been well known for years for making very good motors and some of their motors only need oil changes once every 10,000 miles.

My Honda has an OLM and the manual says to change oil only when it tells you to, not at some X number of miles. I think GM may have the same set up for OCIs using their OLMs. And these devises are made and calculated for just the engine they monitor and so have proven pretty accurate. For the most part, they calculate based on dino oil unless the engine calls for synthetic.

Havoline is a good oil and should be able to withstand synthetic-like extended OCI's if used along with LC20 (although I must admit I do not have a UOA to prove that beyond doubt). But certainly, Havoline and many other oils can go to and even beyond 5000 miles in normal driving conditions with no problem whatsoever in most modern day engines.

87sAMMY,
The above mentioned blowby is very common on a hard run engine such as towing something and in these instances is not a bad thing.It is an everyday thing with a diesel engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back