Having a non-car person other half - the things they do.

My wife tends to wait till the last minute to leave for work. I think the only thing preventing black marks in the road is the low HP of the cars. I tend to over maintain the cars so not too worried. The Focus did die.. I'd blame it on her but I want to live a little while longer.
Not sure how we could be married to the same woman!

Now the motor will die at 200k rather than 300k
Exactly. When was the last time someone truly wore out an engine?

Then again, the OP has a EA888, so it will probably die from various other reasons long before 200k. ;)

My bride, then girlfriend, complained to me as her ‘62 slant 6 mopar was getting a third clutch “that something needs to be done to prevent this”. She later answered my oci question with ”Don’t they give you oil when you buy gas”?

Happiness for me has been taking complete control of auto repair for the entire family for 53 years.
❤️ Bitog

I do all of the automotive maintenance and repairs in our house. Years ago I told my wife that, when it comes to her vehicle, unless she listened to me and followed my instructions, she would be totally on her own when it comes to her vehicle, whatever it needs. "Do what you want but don't call me when your vehicle won't start, breaks down, gets a flat tire, needs an oil change, a brake job, or ANYTHING else". Tough love, but that solved the problem of her ignoring me about her vehicle.
I don't know about tough love, that just sounds tough.

Exactly. When was the last time someone truly wore out an engine?

Then again, the OP has a EA888, so it will probably die from various other reasons long before 200k. ;)

Touche touche my gents. While I have my concerns about the E888 2.0T we (ahem...I) are really hoping that a routine maintenance program will help it live relatively trouble free for our projected 4-5 year ownership period. Once that CPO warranty expires in ~1.5 years we have a lot of excellent indy shops that do maintenance for a fraction of the cost of the dealer.

Wife's keyring looks like cat o nine tails. Lion king souvenir, golden gate bridge souvenir, Bean from millennium park, half a dozen work keys. Warning went unheeded. Spent one long afternoon under the dash removing, re keying and replacing ignition cylinder. Hopefully next car has push start ignition like mine.

Wife's keyring looks like cat o nine tails. Lion king souvenir, golden gate bridge souvenir, Bean from millennium park, half a dozen work keys. Warning went unheeded. Spent one long afternoon under the dash removing, re keying and replacing ignition cylinder. Hopefully next car has push start ignition like mine.
Glad it didn't end in an accident as with GM's ignition fiasco of a few years ago!

My wife and I worked out a deal. I do all the cleaning and maintenance, all she has to do is get in and drive. But she has a list of things not to do in the car (No excessive idling, slow on cold start, and silly stuff like no open top beverages).

Some of this comes down to your significant other knowing what matters to you. It doesn't need to matter to them at all for them to care.

Back