Have you ever met anybody famous?

In the early 90's, I happened to run into Davy Jones (of Monkees fame) in an airport. My wife had a schoolgirl crush on Davy in the 1960's, so I stopped him and asked if he would autograph something for her. He dropped everything, fished out a headshot, and penned her a nice note. I was a real hero when I got back home with that prize :)

Both of them, along with Jimmy Carl Black, at the same time. Fortunately, I was sober at the time (just a couple of cocktails). Roky Erickson was VERY strange. The other two were a HOOT! In case people don't know who Jimmy Carl Black was... he was the original drummer for Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention. Notorious hard partiers, all of them. Anybody who knew Frank will tell you that he was a compulsive perfectionist when it came to the musicians he worked with and/or worked for him. Face it, the guy was a genuine genius. Jimmy Carl Black was a fantastic drummer. Arthur Brown was like a wild animal when it came to his music. They were fun to watch and even more fun to party with. Roky Erickson? Not so much. He looked old and like he was heavily drugged. He didn't really interact with anybody that much and he didn't perform. He was right in front listening to the band though.
I heard they had a painting business called Brown and Black when they needed to pay the bills.
I worked in the biz from the 80’s to 2002 and met a bunch of people. I guess most notable to me would be David Bowie, James Brown (Mr. Brown when you talk to him), Etta James, Chaka Kahn, Emmylou Harris, Nick Lowe.
I always say most celebs I’ve met are nice, they pay managers to be a********s.

Tony Gwynn's family shopped at one of the Albertsons I worked at. He'd usually stop in on Sunday mornings before church, wave hello to people, pick up a few things, & then be on his way.

First gf grew up across the street from Tom Delonge of blink182. Never actually met him, but saw him a few times visiting his mom & younger sister. He gave us tickets to shows a few times & paid for our Sombrero (Mexican food) once.

Last edited:
I met Bruce Jenner at Logan Airport in Boston in 1978....got his (her) autograph.
I met Bill Clinton at the WTC right after 9/11/01....shook hands.
I met Joe Frazier on Fordham Road in the Bronx back in the 70's...he was doing a promo at a Cadillac dealer...shook hands and was surprised how short he was...about 5'10'' IIRC.
I met Gerry Cooney jogging before his big fight with Larry Holmes.
I met Rudy Giuliani when he was mayor of NYC....Ed Koch too (my favorite Democrat).
I've met a few Congress people and Senators along with the first President Bush on the USS Intrepid during the Republican convention in NY (I was working). I met the Israeli PM Yitzhak Rabin around 1993 (again while working). I'm sure there are a few others that I'm forgetting...
Oh yes... I met Tug McGraw and Tom Seaver back in the late 60s or maybe 1970 when they were on the NY Mets....they were doing a promo at a supermarket in my neighborhood when I was a kid. Bobby Kennedy came to my grammar school not long before he was assassinated...I was probably 75-100 feet from him. I met Roger Stone at my daughters university (Fordham) before his legal troubles began.

Last edited:
In 2018 we were staying at a Sofitel in Montevideo while they were filming a movie. Some actress got in the elevator with us along with two handlers...another guest in the elevator told us who it was and apparently she was some famous actress in South America. To this day I can't tell you who it was!

I can tell you about all the Chevettes they still drive down there though!

Forgot about this one. The movie September Dawn was written about my family, Jon Voight was in it. Here’s my grandpa with him at the movie premier in Hollywood in 2007

DEC58242-733C-4071-B392-799D33341AF8.jpeg

Met a few folks at historic races and the like and ignoring all business/political figures, three stick out;

1) Bob Hoover at the Reno Air Races, very, very brief in a reception tent where he spoke. Google Bob Hoover... I was honored to even be near him. My one impression; humble.

2) Gordon Lightfoot at the New Haven Airport. Early 90's. Ironically, I had tickets to see him earlier in the Summer at a concert that was cancelled due to his illness. Later that Summer, I flew my girlfriend (now Wife) and I to New Haven to see some friends. As we were leaving, an older Canadian registered jet pulled next to our tired looking Piper Cherokee. The Hawker had hush kits and I took a few steps over to look. Gordon and his band exited the airplane, saw me looking and made small talk. One said "Like the cookie cutters?" (slang for hush kits). "Pop in" another said. I mentioned that I had tickets for a cancelled show and they offered seats at that night's show, but I had to be back. Stupid decision, looking back I should have gone. I looked in the plane, the crew was cleaning it and there were bags full of cans and bottles; spring water, orange juice, etc....I guess that is how you keep doing it through your 60's...

3) Sir Roger Moore, Piccadilly Street, London, late 1998. I was on our honeymoon and my Wife caught an awful cold. Late one night I took a walk to get her some cold medicine. I was walking on Piccadilly when I saw two couples in formal wear approaching, actually his distinctive voice caught my attention. The man had a presence that can't really be described. He noticed my "wow, its James Bond" stare, and the conversation as we passed was IIRC:

Mr. Moore; "Yes, I am who you think I am..."
Me; "Uhhh...good evening Mr. Moore"
Mr. Moore: "Ahhh, a Yank, what brings you to London?"
Me: "I'm on my honeymoon"
Mr. Moore: "Honeymoon........and you don't have something else to be doing beside walking in the rain??? GO man!"

Then they walked off laughing...

Last edited:
In 1972 I met Hubert Humphrey when he was campaigning in Omaha, Nebraska.

In 1979 or 1980 I met Warren Buffett when I ran a service call on his home's security system.

I actually met our current president back in 2012. And I passed by one of the players for the Warriors as well. And further back, if my shift at the dealership was earlier in the day, I would have met Rick Hendrick. He will pay a visit to his stores(Lexus of Pleasanton is his NorCal baby, but his Honda dealership closer to San Francisco he also keeps an eye on) when he flies in for the Toyota Save Mart 350.

This doesn’t count - but I’ve been to a few yoga classes taught by Lars Fredricksen’s wife, yes, the Rancid lead man Lars.

Last edited:
Chuck Norris in the late 90's at the Cattleman's Steak House in the Fort Worth Stockyards....They were doing shoots for Walker, Texas Ranger.
Nice guy!

"Dimebag" Darrell Abbott & "Vinnie Paul" Abbott of Pantera in the early 90's after they took their 1992 Lincoln Town Car off road. They bent both lower control arms & destroyed the oil pan & trans pan, This was a brand new car with less than 5,000 miles, First 4.6L Mod engine I'd ever seen much less worked on.
Also very nice guys & I was/am a big Pantera fan, Had them sign the old Mac tool box I had at the time.

I was waiting for my wife to come out of the Restroom at Caesar’s Palace in Vegas and Leon Black from Curb Your Enthusiasm was staining next to me waiting for his lady. I couldn’t think of his name other than “Black” so I just didn’t say anything.

This goes way back. As a young boy with my father and brother at a bar in the small town Of Allegheny, New York, I had the pleasure of meeting two NFL stars, Bobby Layne & Elbie Nickel. Being a youngster I was impressed & they answered all my questions. My father knew them somehow, I don't know how. This was around 1957-1958.

Walt Disney the day he came to our hometown to donate eight buffalo to a local park.

Jack Lord at the same town shooting the western Stoney Burke (before the Hawaii 5-0 days). Great guy. Made it a point to talk to a bunch of us boys. Asked us if we wanted to be actors. The lot of us nodded our heads. Showed us a three inch script and said you have to memorize that much daily. The lot of us gave up our plans to be famous actors then and there.

Leonard Nimoy at the funeral for my wife's best friend.

Got an autograph from Paul Rogers after a show many years ago.
Years later I should have followed my buddy who got to shake hands with Jeff Healy as he came off stage after a show we saw. Will always regret that hesitation, he got in before the crush and they had to move him away.

I share a chain-link fence with Aquaman's (Jason Mamoa) mom. He grew up in the house. I used to sing with Superman's (Brandan Routh) mom. I've know him since he was 7. My wife graduated high school with astronaut Peggy Whitson.

Back