Have you ever met anybody famous?

Age 7 I met Idi Amin apparently a brutal dictator at the hotel my family was staying at in Kuwait. He is a large stature man, he was friendly to me.

I also met Stephen King at grocery store where I worked in high school. Show him where clam sauce was. Nice guy.

Last edited:
Robert Redford
Bill Clinton (2 times)
Ben Vereen
Mitch Green (boxer)
Rudy Guiliani

Maybe some others...

Roy Rogers and Dale Evans lived in my town for many years. Used to see them at the store, restaurants etc.

I went to high School with their granddaughters and a niece. Roy's real name was Leonard Sly. The granddaughters took the Rogers name. The niece was a sly.

Roy and Dale are buried north of my house.

My dad knew Willie shoemaker and Carrol Shelby. As a very your kid we had dinner with them.

Roky Erickson
Jimmy Carl Black
Arthur Brown
Buddy Miles
Jimmie Vaughn (never got to meet his brother, but I saw him MANY times)
Kim Wilson
Eric Johnson (IMO one of the best guitar players alive)
Ray Benson (I knew him and his wife quite well)
Turk Pipkin (I knew him quite well)
Tom Kite (a hell of a nice guy)
Ben Crenshaw (not a nice guy)
Lance Armstrong (a real douchebag in the flesh, and his wife/exwife was even worse)
George W. Bush (before he became governor, say what you like about his politics, he was a VERY warm and friendly guy in person)

I was raised in the music industry thanks to my mom, so I’ve met most of the big names from the 70s-90s. I was a performer who did some touring in the 90s as well.

Though I never met either of them, my mom’s clique always said that Prince was by far the nicest person out of all of the super-famous performers.

My mom was a huge Rolling Stones fan and said that Mick Jagger was either your best friend or your worst enemy. Sounded like he had frightening mood swings even without provocation and while totally sober.

Smoking Joe Frazier in a PA tavern during his early championship years. He drove up on a Harley.

Hank Aaron at a baggage carousel at the Atlanta Airport in the mid-80's. I got his autograph, but he was PO'd that his luggage was delayed.

ESPN's Mike Tirico in Charlotte NC.

Last edited:
Ray Wylie Hubbard.

Gf and I met him at a small town county fair. I was talking to him about his mid 1960s folk rock band called Three Faces West, and he was amazed I even knew about it!! He autographed a business card for me that I had in my wallet, and I have it tucked away inside my copy of the Three Faces West lp cover.

I bet that was awesome!!
Both of them, along with Jimmy Carl Black, at the same time. Fortunately, I was sober at the time (just a couple of cocktails). Roky Erickson was VERY strange. The other two were a HOOT! In case people don't know who Jimmy Carl Black was... he was the original drummer for Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention. Notorious hard partiers, all of them. Anybody who knew Frank will tell you that he was a compulsive perfectionist when it came to the musicians he worked with and/or worked for him. Face it, the guy was a genuine genius. Jimmy Carl Black was a fantastic drummer. Arthur Brown was like a wild animal when it came to his music. They were fun to watch and even more fun to party with. Roky Erickson? Not so much. He looked old and like he was heavily drugged. He didn't really interact with anybody that much and he didn't perform. He was right in front listening to the band though.

Ran across a few because I travel far and often - but I respected their privacy unless they spoke first - which would be more the exception …

Both of them, along with Jimmy Carl Black, at the same time. Fortunately, I was sober at the time (just a couple of cocktails). Roky Erickson was VERY strange. The other two were a HOOT! In case people don't know who Jimmy Carl Black was... he was the original drummer for Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention. Notorious hard partiers, all of them. Anybody who knew Frank will tell you that he was a compulsive perfectionist when it came to the musicians he worked with and/or worked for him. Face it, the guy was a genuine genius. Jimmy Carl Black was a fantastic drummer. Arthur Brown was like a wild animal when it came to his music. They were fun to watch and even more fun to party with. Roky Erickson? Not so much. He looked old and like he was heavily drugged. He didn't really interact with anybody that much and he didn't perform. He was right in front listening to the band though.
Oh yeah! The Mothers of Invention. I have a mono copy of Freak Out here somewhere. I'm guessing he was in the group when they put out that lp (their debut). I'll have to see if I can find it and look. I can imagine Arthur Brown being wild as hell!!

Is Evelyn Erickson still alive?

Back