Have you ever met anybody famous?

Met John Glenn at the school at OSU named for him. They have memorabilia from his aviation career including what looked to be his first logbook.
An Ohio boy through and through and even served in the Senate from here.
First American to orbit the earth and also got to fly on the shuttle when a sitting senator and not a young man by any means.
Also got to meet the then prime minister of St Kitts back in December 2019 while on a cruise that called at that port.

I went to law school with US Senator Elizabeth Warren before she became famous.

I went to high school, and dated, Astrophysicist Janet Luhmann, also before she was famous in her field.

Both ladies were attractive, and had brilliant minds.

And in October 1967, at the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen, met Bruce McLaren in the paddock. It was the first day of practice, security was non existent and I was wandering around, He showed me his Formula One car. Nice man.

Last edited:
Interesting about Paul Newman. I had heard from others that met him at similar events (Road Atlanta) and that he was just a regular guy, no big attitude or anything. Just enjoyed racing and cars. Could be the difference in when, the younger Newman may have had less of an attitude (or more restraint).
To be fair, he died not long after, so he was probably pretty pre-occupied with those thoughts.

As I recall, the race was in August and he died in September.

Reactions: wlk
This is James Hunt getting a bit flirtatious with my wife Sue after signing her program at the Long Beach F1 race in 1979.

Scott

James Hunt in pits at Long Beach 1979.jpg

Chip Ganassi and me. For whatever reason it seems like he picks me out of the crowd to have a quick chat. He's always friendly. In this picture we were talking about his Michigan crash during the CART era when he was a driver. Amazing he survived. Look it up.

Scott

IMG_1454.jpeg

If you follow professional cycling, Bob Roll and me. He is just like the guy you see on television during the TdF broadcasts. I gave him a ride from Morro Bay to Santa Barbara during the Amgen Tour of California.

Scott

FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_2322.jpeg

As a kid I met some players and got some WHL cards signed by guys like Corey Hirsch, Darcy Tucker, Scott Niedermayer and Darryl Sydor. Soon after they were in the NHL.
As a teen I got Dave Keon's autograph - he was at a hardware store in Edmonton (where I lived at the time) endorsing Skil saws.

I briefly met both Vladislav Tretiak and Ken Dryden (separately) when they were on book tours c. 1987 and 1989.

I have a pic with Bernie Parent and Dave Shultz. It’s so hard to believe the person I met is the hammer and pummeled others. I said, “Thanks Dave!” He said, thank you, sir! Nice man. It’s fun to have your arms around childhood heroes.
I saw Bernie playing for the Philadelphia Blazers his one year in the WHA - '72/73.

He wore #00 and shut out the hometown Alberta Oilers 1-0 in OT.

I've met the following:
Ted Nugent - twice
Greg Gagne
Ken Patera

Craig 'Ironhead' Heyward
Rush Limbaugh

Alison Balsam, the British classical trumpet virtuoso, autographed one of her CDs for me after a concert.

At a wedding reception near D.C., several NPR reporters and John Kerry, who was conspicuous for his height, as well as fame. He was soft-spoken and did nothing to call attention to himself deliberately.

My boss in my first real post-college job was in his 80s and past his prime when I met him, but ~40 years earlier was famous enough to have been subject of a New Yorker magazine cartoon.

Richard Petty. Myself along with 3 friends were at the Petty museum in Level Cross, N.C. a couple of years ago and saw Richard talking to a couple of people in the shop that was roped off to visitors. It was a week day and we were the only visitors at that moment so We finished the tour and were walking through the gift shop to leave and Richard was at the exit so he asked how we were doing and where we were from and he signed autographs and a couple of guys got pics. We all agreed afterward that we thought he saw us behind the ropes earlier and walked into the museum to meet us and sign autographs…he’s just that way.

Back