have SN dino oils closed the gap with synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In normal interval ?(3000 mile)dino is as good at worst .the valvoline premium conventional 5w30 was tested against 48 other oil and ranked 21 .it was still in the outstanding tier.even the 5w20 from the same brand and oil was also in the outstanding and in mid pack .so yes some dino oil perform better then average synthetic or dino oil

I'm sure this has been addressed, but....

How would you say a "bargain" Syn like Supertech 5w-30 matches up against Penz conventional 5w-30? The prices are neck and neck.

^ SuperTech full synthetic blows the doors off Pennzoil conventional.

You guys can keep thinking it's a bargain oil, but you're missing out on the smoothest oil on the planet.

And forget about 5W-30 unless you're driving in below zero weather.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
^ SuperTech full synthetic blows the doors off Pennzoil conventional.

You guys can keep thinking it's a bargain oil, but you're missing out on the smoothest oil on the planet.

Yeah? How do the additive packs in that compare? If it is that good I may spend another dollar on my next oil change for my 18 year old truck.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
Yeah? How do the additive packs in that compare?

I don't know; I leave that up to the book worms. I go by how the oil makes my engine feel and sound.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
GTMaster303, how old are you? My memory takes in 6 gallons of regular gas for $1 in TN and oil in the $0.50 per quart price range. I remember good antifreeze on sale for about $1/gallon, all in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Haha, yea that's way before my time. 24 years old
These days you'll be lucky to find conventional oil on sale for $2 a quart.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
GTMaster303, how old are you? My memory takes in 6 gallons of regular gas for $1 in TN and oil in the $0.50 per quart price range. I remember good antifreeze on sale for about $1/gallon, all in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Cheapest my minds eye can see is 25 cents a gallon for reg late 60s.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I remember gas at 99 cents.

Obummer hopes works for $10.00 per gallon gas.

Last edited:
I don't know; I leave that up to the book worms. I go by how the oil makes my engine feel and sound.

So you have no credible data at whether it's REALLY a good oil? If you haven't looked at the additive packs, how could you possibly know it blows the doors off PYB?

Placebo effect. If somebody swapped out that SuperTech in your car for some bulk oil at Jiffy Lube I HIGHLY doubt you'd tell the difference and you'd still be all over BITOG saying how smooth that SuperTech is making your car run.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I remember gas at 99 cents.

Gas was cheaper than that as recently as the third quarter of 1999. I remember filling our then new '99 Accord (five speed, if it matters) for .879/gal in August of that year.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
So you have no credible data at whether it's REALLY a good oil? If you haven't looked at the additive packs, how could you possibly know it blows the doors off PYB?

Placebo effect. If somebody swapped out that SuperTech in your car for some bulk oil at Jiffy Lube I HIGHLY doubt you'd tell the difference and you'd still be all over BITOG saying how smooth that SuperTech is making your car run.

Placebo effect? Ever since I switched to SuperTech full synthetic, I can't here my engine run no more. I'm gonna have to get me a stethoscope.

dual-head-stethoscopes-aluminum-78888-163837.jpg

Please tell why ST full syn 10w-30 is better than the 5w-30?

Is the add pack better? Less shearing? Or, is it just because of the weather/temps?

I think oils like M1 or Amsoil signatures had condition to beat the SN specs and requirements, even those made in 1975 and could even go beyond like SP in the future they were able ot surpass.

So you think only because they put SE in the bottle in 1975 the oil was much different of the same that beats SN specs?

Or you really think that oil was barely making SE specs?

Given the amount of sludge I saw in engines run exclusivly on SE/S with 3,000 mile oil changes, then YES, I di believe that the current oils are markedly better...

Originally Posted By: Rosetta
I think oils like M1 or Amsoil signatures had condition to beat the SN specs and requirements, even those made in 1975 and could even go beyond like SP in the future they were able ot surpass.

So you think only because they put SE in the bottle in 1975 the oil was much different of the same that beats SN specs?

Or you really think that oil was barely making SE specs?

Amsoil and Mobil One from 1975 were not as good as you believe.

I saw it at 20 cents/per gallon. On base in England, 1970.

Now, off base, that was a different story. It was at least a British Pound, which back then was $2.40 USD. At that time, in NH, gas was around 40c/gallon.

How times have changed.

Gary

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Given the amount of sludge I saw in engines run exclusivly on SE/S with 3,000 mile oil changes, then YES, I di believe that the current oils are markedly better...

A quote not quoted again!
You mean synthetic SE with too much sludge at 3,000 miles? Not what pop Sicence showed in april 1976. Sludge wasn't a problem for synthetics since then. I think you saw a lot of sludge from Mineral oils. link above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back