Have I gone to long without changing my oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are fine using Purolator Classic, I don't see any reason to change it out earlier than your oil change. I also don't recommend that you look to Purolator to determine change frequency. Their current recommendation for PureOne filters is 3,000 miles, 3 months, or Manufacturer's recommendation. In a well running vehicle with a tight air system, most any filter can actually handle 8,000 miles as well as 3,000 miles. Most filters will filter better with some use than when new. Clogging filters and heat damaged filters need to be replaced of course.

Quote: "Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

if you're wanting to do a once a year OCI with less than 10K on the oil any major brand synthetic will be fine with a good filter

fram ultra is currently one of the better priced long OCI filters

for the amount of time it took you to write the post, i would have my car up on ramps and gathering my tools together to be 1/3 the way done with an oil change.

Car is mainly used for short trips, but occasionally gets a 600 mile round trip to home, and back to where I live for school. My drive to work is only about 2.5 miles, but I drove my car to the ski hills pretty frequently this winter and that's a 65 mile round trip.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
for the amount of time it took you to write the post, i would have my car up on ramps and gathering my tools together to be 1/3 the way done with an oil change.

I can't change my oil until I get home, because I live in an apartment where I go to school. I also have to park my car on the street so it's not like I have a garage.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Keep in mind that you have added a 1.5 qt of oil with new additives. You are fine, but it is time to change.

Exactly. The oil is fine,as is the engine. Change it when you get a chance and just not smell and consistency.
As long as it doesn't come out in blobs your good to go.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
If you are fine using Purolator Classic, I don't see any reason to change it out earlier than your oil change. I also don't recommend that you look to Purolator to determine change frequency. Their current recommendation for PureOne filters is 3,000 miles, 3 months, or Manufacturer's recommendation. In a well running vehicle with a tight air system, most any filter can actually handle 8,000 miles as well as 3,000 miles. Most filters will filter better with some use than when new. Clogging filters and heat damaged filters need to be replaced of course.

Quote: "Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

That quote is awesome.
So if the oem states the oci is 10000 miles then this filter is fine for that interval,but in any other app change it at 3000 miles.
I bet it helps sell filters though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back