Have I gone to long without changing my oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 impreza in sig. It's got the EJ22 and I've currently got valvoline maxlife synblend 5w30 in the sump, and a purolator classic.

I last changed the oil at 123,xxx miles (June 2012) and I'm at 129,700 today. So I've gone almost a year on the oil but only about 7,000 miles. I've added about a quart of makeup oil during the interval.

I won't be able to change the oil until the end of may, but at most i'll only drive another 500 miles during that time.

Am I in trouble?

FWIW, when I change the oil in may I'll be using Mobil1 10w30 high mileage and a pureone. Unless comments indicate that maxlife synblend is capable of this type of OCI, because I do like it and it's cheaper.

Thats pushing it without a oil analysis. Sounds like you really dont have a choice though. Your motor isnt gonna blow up, so dont worry.

I wouldn't go any further than 7000 miles for sure. If you are doing annual oil changes I would use Mobil1 extended and a Fram Ultra filter. You can get both at Walmart.

Last edited:
What length of OCI is recommended by Subaru for this engine, is it 3750 or 7500?

I was going off the notion that it was 7500, but I didn't plan to have the maxlife in for almost a year. I guess I should drive more, haha.

My yearly mileage will hardly ever go beyond 10,000 for the time being. With that in mind what oil/filter combo would you recommend? Like I said i'm thinking about Mobil1 high mileage with a pureone, but is there a combination that is better suited to my driving habits?

Originally Posted By: jimwards17
I've currently got valvoline maxlife synblend 5w30 in the sump, and a purolator classic.

You'll be at 7,500 miles at the change. It's probably okay, but I'd use a better filter if you intend to go that long between filter changes in the future. The Classic line is not designed to be a long duration filter.

As for the oil, the Valvoline should still be fine for the miles, and your choice of Mobil 1 10W-30 is good as well. If you intend to continue with annual oil and filter changes, I would use either a Purolator Synthetic filter, or switch to a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. Both are designed with high capacity media which will stand up to a 10,000 mile OCI just fine.

Does Purolator make a synthetic filter for this car? It would be called the PSL14460 i'm pretty sure.

I thought only the Pureone (PL14460) was availble in that size, along with the classic.

7,500 miles in one year that means a lot of short trips. Unless UOA is done, a safe bet would be to assume the oil is shot.
Will this event (presumably only one?) cause engine trouble, most likely not, but I would not repeat this practice and change the oil every 6 months or 5k miles when using dino.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
As long as your dipstick shows oil between L/0 and F you're okay...sleep well...

+1 or +2 or +3....

You're up for your next change ,though.

Does Purolator make a synthetic filter for this car? It would be called the PSL14460 i'm pretty sure.

I thought only the Pureone (PL14460) was availble in that size, along with the classic.

There is no PSL for the Subaru. The P1 PL14460, P Classic 14460, Bosch Premium 3310, and Wix/NAPA Gold 7712 are the only filters that have the proper bypass setting. All but the classic would likely be fine up to 10K.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
7,500 miles in one year that means a lot of short trips. Unless UOA is done, a safe bet would be to assume the oil is shot.
Will this event (presumably only one?) cause engine trouble, most likely not, but I would not repeat this practice and change the oil every 6 months or 5k miles when using dino.

THE RIGHT ANSWER ^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete

There is no PSL for the Subaru. The P1 PL14460, P Classic 14460, Bosch Premium 3310, and Wix/NAPA Gold 7712 are the only filters that have the proper bypass setting. All but the classic would likely be fine up to 10K.

There's also the Mazda roki filter that increases volume and has the proper bypass pressure.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

So how do you guys know he short trips??? Could be it mostly gets 40-50 mi trips once a week or like one of my cars... It doesn't accumulate 5Kmi in a year...

If short trips are the norm, then I'd go with the M1 EP as already recommended...

If any damage has been done ... well thats too late now.

Just change your oil regularly from now one .

Dont panic unless engine is acting weird and you have check engine light.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: Warstud

So how do you guys know he short trips??? Could be it mostly gets 40-50 mi trips once a week or like one of my cars... It doesn't accumulate 5Kmi in a year...

If short trips are the norm, then I'd go with the M1 EP as already recommended...

Given that this is Internet and OP is not exactly forthcoming with lots of details about his car or commute, I'd rather stay on the side of caution than subscribe to the "don't worry be happy" replies.

Keep in mind that you have added a 1.5 qt of oil with new additives. You are fine, but it is time to change.

My yearly mileage will hardly ever go beyond 10,000 for the time being.

With that annual mileage, plan on changing your oil twice a year. Time is easier
to remember than mileage. Change your oil in April and September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back