Has PAO % of Mobil 1 0W20 EP been Reduced?

and its been changed with the new label jugs. I forget the new number but the old one was 5888 and has been that for quite some time
Did anyone call to confirm that change to formulation was made starting with new label exactly? Perhaphs its one of those changes that happens gradually and does not necessarily happen with a new label.

Its very possible that formulation was changed but they first wanted to use all the old labels, and then marketing told them to update the label. Its a possibility too

Last edited:
Did anyone call to confirm that change to formulation was made starting with new label exactly? Perhaphs its one of those changes that happens gradually and does not necessarily happen with a new label.

Its very possible that formulation was changed but they first wanted to use all the old labels, and then marketing told them to update the label. Its a possibility too
That is very possible to but im sure they would never tell anyone they used up the old labels

Last week I ordered three jugs from Walmart and they showed up today. They are old label and stamped 5888. I honestly thought I would receive the new triple action oil, but to my surprise I did not.

I used to think PAO was everything. Time here at BITOG has provided an education and I now know that the total formulation, not necessarily how much PAO is in the base oil, and the specifications/approvals the oil meets are far more important than whether it's PAO, GTL, or current Group III base.
So for the price, Mobil 1 is still a good value.
Yeah, I agree, even AMSOIL used to have a PAO logo and they got away from it. Technology has changed over the years. The proof is in the testing and oil analysis.

Data from certified VW 508/509 Longlife IV spec 0w-20. It is rated 20k miles or similar to extended performance that we can find in Walmart. The poured points are all below -54C, typical character of high contents PAO.

Data from certified VW 508/509 Longlife IV spec 0w-20. It is rated 20k miles or similar to extended performance that we can find in Walmart. The poured points are all below -54C, typical character of high contents PAO.

How old/new is the info though? Article says 2019.

awesome article! All though thats not the mobil 1 in question in this thread.

The old article but it is still actual without any changes on those brands/types. All of those are certified VW 508/509 Oil, and tested by VW or Porsche C20. These oil are significantly more expensive than just regular API SN+ or SP oil from the same brands. Liquimoly 508/509 is 50% more expensive than American/Asian 0w-20. Ravenol VSE €14/L vs Ravenol EHS API SN+ €9.8/L. In short, any oil that is designed for 20k miles (european longlife) interval is generally more robust and perhaps contain more PAO than 10k miles oil.
In the USA, we mostly found API SP or ILSAC 6A certification with typical 10k miles. I still do 7-10k miles OCI and use VW 0w-20 on my Toyota/Lexus because they are cheaper from more common sale in Europe. So far, it works well and no oil consumption in notorious 2ZR-FXE engines 100k+ miles.

Back