Has anyone here owned just American vehicles or foreign vehicles?

Over my decades of driving I have owned various American and Japanese cars. I just wonder if anyone here has actually stuck with just American cars or just foreign cars?

1 Kia, the rest have been Dodge/Chrysler/Ram. Might go German next time, love me a nice Audi but the RS 3 is expensive and the RS 6 Avant is way way out of budget…

Hmm, my wife was given a Ford Aspire that I drove for a while...does that count as domestic or foreign in this case. :unsure:

Other than that, Saturns and Chevys, but that has historically been about acquisition cost for me, next purchase if we go new could very likely break that trend.

Toyota, Mazda, Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile,Buicks, Nissan, Ford.
42 some odd vehicles. can't remember how many of each.
The best quality were the Japanese cars, who would have thought?

Last edited:
Locking in one way or another sure would be boring.. That said my dad has never had a foreign car that he actually drove. He bought one or two along the way to resell.

2 Pontiacs an Olds and about 15+ Chevrolets. Good or bad I have too many relatives that work(ed) for GM

I owned strictly "American" cars for the first 40 years of driving. Purchased my first Japanese car (Miata) because there really wasn't an American equivalent. Then, when I was able to afford a luxury vehicle, I got ticked off at the Lincoln dealer and went with a Lexus.

So far the Mazda has been flawless.

The Lexus has had a few minor issues. All were covered under warranty. I would say the big difference with the Lexus is the way the dealership/service department functions and treats customers. They bend over backwards to make sure their customer is not inconvenienced by any service that has to be performed.

I've never been able to make a vehicle last to the 200,000 mile mark. Rust usually kills them. I'm hoping the Lexus will be the first to get me there! Since the Miata only gets driven in warm weather my time on earth is the limiting factor in getting to 200k. Maybe one of my kids will get it there.

1973 Dodge Colt...1973 Plymouth Road Runner....1968 Dodge Charger...1980 Chrysler Cordoba...1987 Chrysler Le Baron coupe...1989 Plymouth Acclaim...1998 Ford Contour....1999 Dodge Grand Caravan...2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser...2007 Honda Accord SE...2021 Honda HRV.... My late wife also owned a couple of Honda Civics and the 2007 Honda Accord that I kept after she passed away..in 2008...Worst was the Ford..best so far was the Honda Accord...

The ZR2 is the first domestic vehicle I've had in 20 years. Prior to that they were all Japanese.

My wife had a Prius but I’ve never had a foreign car that was mine. 5 GMs, 1 Jeep and 7 Fords for me.

I tried to get her to go with another Toyota for her most recent vehicle as well but a Sienna is no comparison to a Pacifica when it comes to interior space, comfort and functionality.

American cars only, over a dozen of them. Had a Nissan leaf for two weeks but I don’t think that counts.

I started driving around 1975, I only owned Chrysler, Ford or GM products. Nothing else.

Out of the 24 cars I have owned since 1974, 5 have been American. Going forward I suspect that I will always have a Wrangler in the garage- but every other vehicle will likely be German..

The answer is no, I haven’t stuck with just American or foreign vehicles, but in my adult life it’s been primarily foreign cars (mostly Japanese). Honda, Toyota, Lexus. And one Mercedes.

I did venture off the reservation briefly and purchased a 2018 Chevy Silverado. Figured...here’s my lifetime truck! I’ll drive it to a million miles. I’ll be one of those guys! WRONG! Piece of junk. Traded it in with 52,000 miles after two years...misfires, chevy shake, bad starter, tranny shuddering, oil consumption. Babied. Couldn’t handle being driven gently up and down the highway eveyday. No work, no hauling, towing, nothing.

The Mercedes isn’t exactly a joy to own, electrical problem every three months or so. Not fun.

What's an "American" vehicle ? My wife's Ford Fusion was built in Mexico so I call that a foreign car.... A lot of people won't though.

Our Accord (2), Civic, Odyssey were all built in the US. We just bought a Grand Highlander that's made in Indiana.

Reactions: hrv
american by name ONLY as most cars for a long time + especially since the free trade agreement are a collection of parts from EVERYWHERE!!

Reactions: hrv
I like to mix it up, but since the American's aren't making many "cars" anymore, I guess I'm stuck with Japanese/European.
🤷‍♂️

Back