Has anybody read this book??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Johnny. I think I'll buy it! When it comes to Motor Oil, I guess I can never get tired of reading no matter how elementary it is.

Makes a great bathroom reader.
grin2.gif

My wife worries about me since retirement. She comes in here and I'm on the computer reading BITOG, then she sees me in the bathroom reading oil journals.

That little book, along with BITOG, changed my life. It was the impetus for me to go over to high mileage oil and the turning point to my becoming an oil junkie. I read that book, went home and took all my stash of 5w30 Durablend (6 or 10 bottles as i recall) and returned them for 10w30 Maxlife. Funny thing is the book has some detailed advice about oil filters and I never gave it much thought, but then I use Wix or Baldwin, so not to worry. Oh I should mention, I read the book several times.

As for bathroom, I like to do Sudoku while sitting on the throne.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Yes I have. It's a pretty good read and most advise is sound.

Tell me just one thing: In general, does it OK the use of 5w20 in the summer heat? Or does it prefer the relative thickness of 5w-30?
I would really like to know that!

I would not mind being able to get that book, but I don't have the right kind of credit card.

I read something somewhere from this Fitch guy before. He had an article somewhere in which he discribed how to put a drop of motor oil from the dipstick on a paper towel. A person would be able to tell if the oil was oxidized or not depending on whether the drop spread out or else formed a dark little circle. I can't remember a lot more about what he wrote than that. I can't remember anything about what he had to say about oil supplements and engine flushes.

My best guess is that it is important to stay with the viscosities allowed in the owner's manual, use quality oil filters, change oil with reasonable OCIs, and stay away from most oil supplements. The one product I like is Auto-RX. But a person could drive a new car or truck a very long time just with reasonable maintenance and reasonable oil changes and not use any supplements at all.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Yes I have. It's a pretty good read and most advise is sound.

Tell me just one thing: In general, does it OK the use of 5w20 in the summer heat? Or does it prefer the relative thickness of 5w-30?
I would really like to know that!
Here is what my copy says about 5w20 in one place:
Quote:
Note, a 5w20 viscosity compared to 10w4 and 15w50 can translate to fuel savings ranging as high as 5 percent, depending on additives and drivingconditions. However, beware that such a viscosity selection may retard engine life (see Chapter 7, which discusses this issue in more detail).
Mine was published in 2003 and sports the cover showing a guy pulling a drain plug with used oil running all over his hand. Anyway, the book did not get me to consider using 5w20, if anything, it got me farther away from it. As I said, I moved from 5w30 to 10w30 High Mileage oil based on what I got out of this book, and I am still using 10w30 HM today.

OBTW, I'm pretty sure there is an old thread about this book somewhere on this site, probably 4 or 5 years ago I would guess, maybe even started by me.

IMO if the book was written in 2003 a lot has changed in oil, and the metals used in newer engines, cylinder liners, etc, and what was good for 2003 might not be good for 2009. I'm sure the book has a lot of good information, but times have changed.

AD

Originally Posted By: Pablo
... she sees me in the bathroom reading oil journals.

I just got a terrible mental image.

Yeah right??
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back