Hardwood flooring vs synthetic hardwood

In my house I have bamboo flooring on the main floor, vinyl in the basement and laminate in one of the bedrooms. That bedroom is used as.and office and the area under the Steelcase chair has zero damage. I personally like the laminate look the best and it's super durable, 15mm thick from Costco Canada and it's made in Germany. The laminate planks are thick so the install if you DIY goes quickly.

The vinyl is so so, the brand is Armstrong and I have a few scuffs on it that don't come out. The bamboo is too soft and gets damaged easily.

Like anything pluses and minuses, have done everything from sanded and oil finished select white oak to, engineered, to laminate.
Recently I did my lower walk out with CoeTeck Plus, and like it.

You have a lot of options. Normal oak flooring can be sanded and refinished many times. Some of the engineered wood cannot be refinished more than once or twice as the wood you see is a veneer. There is non wood flooring, being vinyl and ceramic tile that looks like wood.

I like normal oak flooring that is 2" or so wide. My NY house has prefinished 6" oak flooring. Not engineered. But is shrinks and expands in the various humidity. Gaps here and there. I am not a fan of wide oak flooring unless its screwed/nailed and pegged. At least that is what I am told will eliminate gaps. But have not tried that install method..
Any wood over 7" should be stapled and full spread glue.
Nobody nails or screws wood, it's all stapled.

If there is ever a possibility of being exposed to water... Vinyl is the ONLY way to go. Having said that, it is getting better all the time, but it is still not as beautiful as genuine wood IMO.

Now not all vinyl is equal. What are some of the better ones out there?
Are you asking about vinyl flooring or LVP (luxury vinyl planks)?
LVP is a paper photograph attached to a water proof substrate and given coats of finish up to 30 thousands thick or 30 mils.
And it is extremely durable.
I have a lot of experience with Shaw Cortec and Floorte products and thats what I would look at.

Back