Hardest filter to Change????

Status
Not open for further replies.
American Motors built an Ambassador in the early '60s with a full-flow filter nearly touching the anti-sway bar. In order to change it you had to lift the engine slightly (and folks came with with lots of ways to do it).

quote:

Originally posted by PRND3L:
Any car with the GM 2.5L 4 cyl. "Iron Duke". Impossible to remove the internal filter without spraying oil everywhere.
rolleyes.gif

Yes!!
banghead.gif

First year Merc Cougar with parralellagram steering. Had to turn the wheels right and then Remove the power steering line to allow enough space to get the filter out. The lines were above the frame and left not enough room for a filter to pass. ARRGGHHH!

3.0L Rangers SUCK!!! Have not figured out how to NOT make a mess yet. Especially when the come in hot.

2.2 Cavalier are not bad on a lift just swing your arm over the control arms and righ there at the filter.

I second the "wrong rotation" Honda like Silver02ex said.

My integra filter is between the engine and the firewall, you either have to lift the car and crawl under, and spill oil on yourself when you remove it. Or you have to ask a girl with extremely fine hand to go from the top and remove the filter (and scratch her whole arm and have her curse at you).

I don't mind the engine turn the otherway, but why on earth are they burying the filter there?

The VW 2.0 filters aren't hard to reach but hard not to make a mess. Its at a angle so once the filter is unscrewed, oil will drip on the hoses and oil pan cover.

I changed the oil on a Oldsmobile Delta 88 V6 3.8, oil filter was toward the back. Had to turn the wheels to the right. Lift the wheel well splash guard to reach the filter. Not a lot of room to grab the filter.

I will say my 2000 chevy caviler with the 2.2 is the worst that I have ever had to change. But I never had to remove the wheel or jack it up. I can get at it from the top by sqeezing my arm inbetween the firwall and the engine.

The best I have ever had was a chevy s10 pick up 4x4 with the factory remote filter.

Messy: 1998 Chev k1500. Filter change used to dump oil all over the front drive shaft U-joint. Here's how I fixed that with a remote (big ford FL1A filter):

-

Pretty easy now, and a way bigger filter, plus an added 1/2 quart in the hoses. With an oil evacuator (topside oil "sucker") I can do an oil change in about 3 minutes without any prep work at all. Just open the hood, spin off the filter, suck the oil out of the sump, spin on the pre-filled filter, refill the sump...done. I wish I had done this years ago!

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
Cavalier Automatic pre Ecotec. Gotta access it underneath on a lift by bending arm in 4 places.

I found I could change the filter from up top with a bended arm, but it was completely by touch, I could not see the filter. I used a Fram because the rough gripping texture made it a relatively easy procedure after you got the hang of it.

An employee had a new VW Bug and, at first the quick lube places would turn it away. I have not hands on experience but was told you need a special tool to reach the filter and get it out. Her problem did not last too long. The engine tanked and it was too expensive to fix, so she traded in on a Toyota. I don't think she will ever buy a VW of any kind again.

I don't know about the hardest engine to change oil on but I'd say the Pure One is the hardest filter to change. In tight applications I have a lot of trouble getting them to start threading on the mount. These are the only filters I have ever had trouble with.

My 2004 Tacoma 4x4 v6 is difficult. Gotta take off the skid plates and then reach up pretty far with not much room for any kind of wrench. Thinking of relocating filter like Jim5...nicely done!

Our 74 Vega Station Wagon. 2 door and fast. I hated changing that oil filter. Used oil like like water.

Pulled a UHaul with it on my wedding day/evening( Honeymooned for about 8 hours in Evansville, Indiana- what a romantic..) heading back to NAS Memphis. Was pulled over ( in Navy Crackerjacks) cop thought I looked drunk since that darn trailer kept moving the whole rig over the yellow line! Why this woman stayed with me I will never know.

Those were the days....

I don't have much experience changing oil/filters, but the worst so far is on the Sentra QG18DE. It's located on the back side of the engine towards the firewall, one must wrap their arm up and around, you don't have much space to fit a filter wrench on it, and not much space to rotate the wrench once it's on. Also have to ensure that the exhaust is wrapped with something as there is a flex pipe that is located all-to-easily to spill oil onto.

sambojoho said : "I always check for ease of service now before I buy a car." I am definitely doing that for the next car, so far the Corolla, the Yaris, and the Fit are my choices...

Pretty Cheap....maybe $45.

PM Sent.

It's a good upgrade if you ask me. Better to buy the parts you need individually than buy the kit with hoses. This way you only pay for the exact hose length and fittings that work best for your set-up.

1998 Honda Prelude. I'd imagine it's similar to some of the other Hondas mentioned here. Halfway up the block towards the firewall. The exhaust flex pipe is directly below it, and other things are in the way as well.

Only way I can reach it is on my back under the passenger side of the car, head towards the back of the car, with my left arm reaching around the outside of the flex pipe, and trying not to burn myself on that pipe. As I unscrew it, oil drips onto the flexpipe, then runs off onto my shoulder. No way to avoid it. And the car smells like burning oil for 2 days afterwards, while all the stuff on the flex pipe burns off.

But at least I don't have to remove a wheel...I feel for you guys.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back