Hankook iPike - first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Picked the wheel/tire combo up from the dealer today. Installed them myself in the driveway.

These are a bit narrower than the 235's that came off it at 225/60/18.

Being narrower, they tend to follow ruts a bit less and are more "crisp" feeling in turning than the summer rubber. Though they (obviously) feel "mushier" as well, which is to be expected.

I'm waiting for the next snow fall to evaluate their performance in that environment. I'm thinking basically anything is better than the Michelin summer rubber, which was downright scary!
crazy2.gif

A pic of the combo (sorry for the poor lighting):

Charger_Winter_Mode01.jpg

I had the iPike 409s on a Hyundai Tiburon. Great winter tires. On the stock tires that car was absolutely worthless in the snow. With the 409s it was like having 4WD.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Which Ipike tires? there are about 5 models.

These are the W409's.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Rand
Which Ipike tires? there are about 5 models.

These are the W409's.

Those are very similar to general altimax arctics.
unstudded they will have ok ice grip but not outstanding. They will be excellent in deep snow, and good on packed snow.

IIRC, we can't run studs this far south. They can in Muskoka though, which is only a couple hours north. Go figure
smirk.gif

That's about what the guy at the dealer said regarding their performance. That the Michelin's would be better on ice, but these are better in deep snow.

Looks great! Are those steel wheels from Tire Rack or the OEM's?

I have to get tires asap for my Charger...6-10 inches today gonna set me back a week or so lol

Thankfully I still have the Accord and FWD until I can get winter rubber on the Charger.

Slim pickings for me from the Rack for tires, Hankook not one of them

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Slim pickings for me from the Rack for tires,

What are you waiting for? The longer you wait, the worse your options will be.
21.gif

Look at DTd, sale going on, and I might finally spring for a set of these. Too late for this storm but maybe in time for the next.

Gave in, got the card, purchase placed. Will find out in about a month how they do!

I was very happy with W409's on my old Explorer. Excellent tires in the snow, even without studs. Very predictable response too.

I was happy enough that after we sold that explorer, I bought a set of the RW11's for my new Explorer. Same story there - good snow tires.

are the 409's considered a better version? just different tread pattern? IIRC they only had RW11 in my size but i was curious why the different models...

Originally Posted By: supton
Gave in, got the card, purchase placed. Will find out in about a month how they do!

Did you buy just tires?

Yeah, just tires. I CL'd a set of rims a month ago. $100 and with sensors! Junk set of tires and a bit rusty, but what do i care?

Originally Posted By: chado_skins
are the 409's considered a better version? just different tread pattern? IIRC they only had RW11 in my size but i was curious why the different models...

I would think they would be close, the RW11 is listed as light truck/SUV by Hankook.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Looks great! Are those steel wheels from Tire Rack or the OEM's?

I have to get tires asap for my Charger...6-10 inches today gonna set me back a week or so lol

Thankfully I still have the Accord and FWD until I can get winter rubber on the Charger.

Slim pickings for me from the Rack for tires, Hankook not one of them

Rims and tires both came from the dealer, so yes, they are OEM steel wheels.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Have you priced the center caps and lugs for them?
crazy2.gif

No, are they insane? I just re-used my other lugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back