Hankook iPike - first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
i admittedly dont have much experience with winter tires, these RW11's being the first set i've ever owned. they do feel good in the snow though. i was able to stop on an incline, with a decent amount of snow/slush/ice underneath on the road, and only slipped the front tires momentarily before they caught. in the tires defense though, ill slip my front wheels on DRY pavement when turing 90 degrees on an incline. braking was VERY confident, i was more impressed with the braking ability of these tires over everything.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: cp3
Have you priced the center caps and lugs for them?
crazy2.gif

No, are they insane? I just re-used my other lugs.

Very insane....these wheels, caps and lugs are priced way more than they should be.

Best case for the "dog dishes" is about 60 bucks apiece and about 115 bucks for the "specialty" lug nuts

I think because they have the word Police in there the jack the prices well beyond their worth.

I plan on getting the knock off rims at the Rack and running the look that you have pictured unless I find a killer deal for the hubs and lugs. More than likely Ultra Grip GW-3's or the Winter Force in 225/60 18's

Ya my son's price up here is $75 for the caps(his price was only about $20 more for a wheel!), not sure what the lugs were but it was somewhere around the $100 mark. You have to get the lugs as they have a ridge to hold the caps on apparently.

No way I could justify it, I only paid $200 for the wheels used.

Had them out today in the snow we just got. They work quite well! Also saw my first accident of the winter, a Suburban (not on snows obviously) sliding down a hill and then crashed into the guide wires for a hydro pole. Big puff of steam, obviously lost his rad. This was in-town BTW, speed limit 50Km/h.....

HUGE improvement over the Michelin all-seasons that were on it. But I don't know how much better, if any, they are than the LTX M/S2's. Hard to compare given that the Expie is 4x4 but it is pretty close IMHO.....
shocked.gif
The truck slides less from a dig.

I think you will be happy with the Hankook iPike tires.

I enjoyed the Hankook iCept Evo tires that I had on my RX-8.
Always dug in pretty good, for a RWD sports car, and didn't follow grooved concrete at all.

BC.

Just had my iPikes put on. No snow yet but so far they seem good--no snow tire roar, seem to handle just fine. Did better on hardpack/ice than I thought. Should know tomorrow when we get dumped on.

3 of the four balanced well (the guy's comment) but one took 3oz. Seems to ride ok, although at times I thought there was a bounce... but very speed specific. Can't put my finger on it yet. But the LTX's do the same thing, so it could be road and/or truck related.

Really happy at the quiet. Almost wish I had tried studs!

I have the RW 11 for now 3 ottawa winter, the last one being long with lots of snow and ice. Performed flawlessly. No complaints. Smooth and quiet and not too mushy turning... I am satisfied.

Had them out today in the snow we got yesterday. I am very impressed. No problem taking off on hills, lots of stability. Not quite as good on ice as the LTX M/S2's but the difference is negligible. They are better in deep snow in terms of initial spin (if I put the Expie in AUTO before the 4x4 kicks on) than the M/S2's. Not by a lot but it is noticeable.

Very happy with them. And a HUGE improvement over the toboggan width Blizzak's on the M5 that I scooted around on last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back