Handheld GPS please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I am planning to do some deep woods snowshoeing over the next few weeks.

My pack is going to be very light - efficient saw, lighter and matches, backup compass for bearing, CCI CB Longs and some Velocitors loaded into separate magazines (10 shot rotary clips for a Ruger 10/22 with a collapsible (folding) Butler Creek stock).

I plan to have a very small tent but plan on setting up camp deep and hidden in the woods where I plan on having it very sheltered in a deep hollow. I have a jug of canola oil and cast iron pots and pans hidden there and oiled up an put in plastic bags.

I can leave the camp set up like this for the whole Winter and it is impossible to find so I always have a safe place to sleep and eat, I know the area like the back of my hand.

What has always bothered me is a GPS unit that I struggled with for a very long time - over 10 years I imagine. It is a yellow Garmin eTrex unit that is well made but not very accurate and has a very hard time finding satellites.

Also, you really have to be on the move and under an extremely clear sky which I rarely see... Think of the woods where Luke Skywalker met Yoda. You truly disappear here, the first few days your ears ring from the silence before you get used to it. But there is no other way to escape so completely and think. I have come up with some of my best ideas out there in the absolute unknown.

The woods are so thick that even wind doesn't really hit you in some areas... You would swear you were indoors. And therefore the woods are thick with critters you can eat so food isn't an issue at all. I keep some multi-vitamins heavy in vitamin C so I can wander around and chew on barks, make a tea with birch bark and pine needles and silly stuff like that and not worry too much about fresh fruit as I don't think trail mix and dried fruit has any vitamin C in it.

Anyway, what I am looking for is a GPS unit that is very easy on batteries, and you turn it on and it can find satellites deep in the woods, and it knows where you are without having to move. I just like to have it so if I find something I can set markers like an old cabin, bones, game trails or where I find a lot of rabbits.

Also, if I can set way points so I can pass by 15-20 good game areas and keep adding them as I find them for maximum hunting efficiency so I can go back to camp and cook up a few days of food in one shot to buffer me until I get a next lucky streak. Also I won't have to clean pots and pans so much, oil it up with the Canola oil and tuck everything away. Cleaning hot cast iron cookware by melting snow in it and scraping around and rubbing it out with dirt, then putting it back on the fire to melt snow in it to give it a good rinse works really well. Then you dry it well by just putting it over the flames again for a minute, then oil it up with Canola oil.

I could easily live out there for an entire Winter and may plan to do so next Winter when my daughter is almost 4 so she understands why I am gone for so long. I have been doing odd outdoor adventures since I was very young so it is just a part of my nature at this point.

You might laugh but the quickest GPS fix I have ever had is with my iPhone 5.

I have an Otterbox case and I have seen waterproof cases on the Internet.

Is there a decent map app that you could use then just use your phone.

I do know a few pilots use Garmins.

I would suspect any current model GPS will be miles ahead of your old one though.

I understand you might not like to go out there with a phone though.

Thanks for the info on Garmins... I am looking at the 10 as it is black and white (for hopefully better battery life).

Trying to find where they sell this model in Montreal.

My concern with a phone in the wilderness is their map is gone if your data connection is gone. Most of today's GPS would be miles ahead of the old days.

I used an older Garmin GPS12 and eTrex Vista for ages.

The newer models with high sensitivity are night and day better when it comes to signal acquisition and use in areas with a thick canopy.

For backpacking, I use a Vista HCx and a 60CSx at work and they're both great. In terms of accuracy, on-the-fly they tend to be within 1 m of the $8,000 survey-grade unit I use at work.

I think they're both discontinued but I'm sure the newer models are significantly better. I believe the 62 series has replaced the older 60s.

My only advice is for whatever model you get, spend a little extra and get the version that has a compass. Even if you turn it off 90% of the time to save battery life, it can make land nav significantly easier. It's also a nice feature if you get into geocaching.

What you need is an external antenna with sufficient gain, particularly in tall, dense forests. When I participated in the STS107 recovery, we used commercial Trimble units with external antennas due to the dense, tall pine forests. Sometimes even that wasn't enough.

Sounds like you need to update your Garmin.

I am wondering about the source of electricity to charge the lithium batteries. I presume you don't have plans to tap nearest 110V wires :) I am assuming that you plan to be away from civilization longer than typical time the battery lasts.

Last edited:
I am thinking of getting the Garmin eTrex 10, looks like a good unit and found the Geocache kit for 137$ at Walmart.

Has high sensitivity but to get the unit with the internal compass I'd need to go up to the eTrex 30 which is around 300$.

From what I can tell the eTrex 10 does everything I need.

It is close to the eTrex I have and that is the only complaint I have with the older unit is it is very picky about finding satellites, and you really have to be on the move for it to figure out your direction, so it was very frustrating to use.

Bit the bullet and went with the Garmin Oregon 450.

I'm getting too old for button navigation in cold weather I need something that is more useable.

It works just like an Ipod Touch, and simple to use.

The screen is even high res enough for viewing photos, like scanning in hand drawn maps to keep handy on the unit itself.

So far I'm very happy with the unit and the build quality is top notch.

Was using it when it was lightly snowing on the screen earlier today and felt a bit funny about letting it melt on the screen... The beauty of waterproofed electronics...

Searched the net and got a GPS full of awesome maps for free, no paying Garmin 130+$.

It can even tell where I am in the West Island with full street names with pinpoint accuracy.

So it can replace an in-car unit, or walking downtown in ANY Canadian city, or bring it hunting, or backpacking, skiing etc.

Waterproof so it replaces ALL GPS needs. Nice to pull over to the side of the road and see where you are in a strange town...

Added a 16GB Micro SD card to the unit and converted all of the maps of Canada on to the device (with all street names!!!).

This small unit is absolutely amazing. Taking it snow shoeing and x-country skiing or just doing back country is a blast.

I highly recommend the Garmin Oregon 450, and the Lexar 16GB Micro SD card, works like I never imagined.

This thing finds your location, in dense cover, lightning fast. With a color touchscreen and a backup compass you can go wherever you want and focus on enjoying yourself.

I still study land marks, but that is just fun for me... But it is more fun not worrying as much about getting lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back