Airtag-like devices

Pew

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any experiences with airtags or like devices? With the guys that jumped me last week, I think I'd like to keep a small hidden GPS device in my car and backpack just in case.

In addition, it would be great to be able to find a simple device to stick in our work equipment and company vehicles in case they get lost or stolen as well.

This is cheap to buy but monthly access to it is $21. Comes with a powerful two magnet gasketed case.You can keep it charged up and activate the IMEI number when you need access.
PXL_20231223_025630591.MP.jpg

We have 4 Apple AirTags. 2 go in the luggage, 1 goes in the wife's purse and 1 goes in my camera case. They work!
Do they only work with iPhones? I have an android but we do have a few iPhones at work.
This is cheap to buy but monthly access to it is $21. Comes with a powerful two magnet gasketed case.You can keep it charged up and activate the IMEI number when you need access.
View attachment 194400
Is there an app for that device?

I'm not sure if I have a defective Airtag, but it stops reporting until I take the battery out and put it back in. It still thinks my luggage is at the departing airport meanwhile I have it with me at my destination. I had to take the battery out and put it back into the Airtag to get it working again.

kJQrJv5.jpg

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any experiences with airtags or like devices? With the guys that jumped me last week, I think I'd like to keep a small hidden GPS device in my car and backpack just in case.

In addition, it would be great to be able to find a simple device to stick in our work equipment and company vehicles in case they get lost or stolen as well.
Apple Air Tags are great. Cheap, they work and work well. One must keep in mind though, for many, including air tags, these are not GPS transmitters. Good news is they cost almost nothing and there are no fee's of any kind.

The way an AirTag works, and works well since 50% of the USA population has an iPhone is the AirTag will transmit its location if lost or stolen when it makes contact with another iPhone. It will relay the location using a strangers iPhone.
We have many, one on our dog too!

We also gave them as presents, a real world case was our daughter last year, if that long. She put one in her suitcase. Well, got off the plane one day and her suitcase was gone. The AirTag showed the suitcase on the interstate outside the airport. *LOL*
She said she didnt have much value in the case and really didnt jump on it until it became apparent that someone wasnt going to return it. We actually googled its last known location at a house, but again, our daugher didnt do anything for days and finally had the cops go over and ask the people, they denied taking it and said if it was anyone it would be their neighbors across the street because they deal drugs. Nothing much the cops could do after that according to them. Tracking devices can be thrown away and they weren't going to search a house.

Anyway, the point is, they work, she just let a lot of time go by before acting on it. She could have went over there right away.

The answer to another question in here is what would you do if you found them? Well, for one thing, if you had one on your dogs collar (maybe even cat), you would be happy that you did if they got lost!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pew
airtags work with iphones only. Androids can find tags in your vicinity but you cant track it.

They work on select iphones so verify first. Samsung have their own version of it as well.

The selling point is its better then nothing, and a good beginner tracker.

Apple Air Tags are great. Cheap, they work and work well. One must keep in mind though, for many, including air tags, these are not GPS transmitters. Good news is they cost almost nothing and there are no fee's of any kind.

The way an AirTag works, and works well since 50% of the USA population has an iPhone is the AirTag will transmit its location if lost or stolen when it makes contact with another iPhone. It will relay the location using a strangers iPhone.
We have many, one on our dog too!

We also gave them as presents, a real world case was our daughter last year, if that long. She put one in her suitcase. Well, got off the plane one day and her suitcase was gone. The AirTag showed the suitcase on the interstate outside the airport. *LOL*
She said she didnt have much value in the case and really didnt jump on it until it became apparent that someone wasnt going to return it. We actually googled its last known location at a house, but again, our daugher didnt do anything for days and finally had the cops go over and ask the people, they denied taking it and said if it was anyone it would be their neighbors across the street because they deal drugs. Nothing much the cops could do after that according to them. Tracking devices can be thrown away and they weren't going to search a house.

Anyway, the point is, they work, she just let a lot of time go by before acting on it. She could have went over there right away.

The answer to another question in here is what would you do if you found them? Well, for one thing, if you had one on your dogs collar (maybe even cat), you would be happy that you did if they got lost!

We'd be able to track it's location and hopefully the police would be able to do something - but we'd also be able to see if it was in the general vicinity of a project site (forgotten) or if a ln employee steals it (we've had this occurrence before.)

@proveitwithdata we currently have a few 3rd Gen iPhone SEs for a department that this could be used for, as well as a backup for the company vehicle trackers. Luckily the two that would be in charge of this use iPhones as well.

We'd be able to track it's location and hopefully the police would be able to do something - but we'd also be able to see if it was in the general vicinity of a project site (forgotten) or if a ln employee steals it (we've had this occurrence before.)

@proveitwithdata we currently have a few 3rd Gen iPhone SEs for a department that this could be used for, as well as a backup for the company vehicle trackers. Luckily the two that would be in charge of this use iPhones as well.
I dont know what ios they are using or your devices are managed but once you run ios 17 you can share tags within the family of devices.

I've thought of getting AirTags for my work bags. Most of the time though if I'm working I don't have my phone or my AirPods on me which are in my bag. My phone has to be off but AirPods are always searching for a signal. I guess that's my makeshift AirTag for now.

AirTags need a recent Apple device past that is iPhone 11 or greater and some iPad to locate to send out the location. I would spend the $29 each and install them alongside another technology as a backup . The battery (replaceable) last about 1 year .

AirTags need a recent Apple device past that is iPhone 11 or greater and some iPad to locate to send out the location. I would spend the $29 each and install them alongside another technology as a backup . The battery (replaceable) last about 1 year .
Actually it works with iPhone 6 and above.
iPhone 11 and above allows precise location finding.
Meaning let’s say I can’t find my car keys in my home, IPhone 11 and above such as my iPhone 13 will point with an arrow on my screen the direction of my keys and even read out the approximate (in feet) distance away that they are once I am close enough.

Iphone 6 and above I presume will just show they are in my house.

I have to admit it’s pretty cool no longer fear for those times that I forget where I put my keys 🙃 Also have one on my dogs collar!

Actually it works with iPhone 6 and above.
iPhone 11 and above allows precise location finding.
Meaning let’s say I can’t find my car keys in my home, IPhone 11 and above such as my iPhone 13 will point with an arrow on my screen the direction of my keys and even read out the approximate (in feet) distance away that they are once I am close enough.

Iphone 6 and above I presume will just show they are in my house.

I have to admit it’s pretty cool no longer fear for those times that I forget where I put my keys 🙃 Also have one on my dogs collar!

You sure about that?
It says devices running 14.5 and later?

Precision Finding is compatible with iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Back