So who has the new Apple AirTag ??

Update, wife just ordered a second AirTag to attach to our dogs collar.

Good video in the post above, its why I moved to the Apple ecosystem. I trust their security/privacy 1000 times more then any Android device or related Google or Amazon or any company in the world. I mean, people use gmail knowing that EVERY email they write is scanned by google to sell ads...
Actually that is only part of the reason I moved to Apple after 25 years of Windows, the Apple operating system across all their devices and integration is matched by no one.

To each his own.

Last edited:

Good video in the post above, its why I moved to the Apple ecosystem. I trust their security/privacy 1000 times more then any Android device or related Google or Amazon or any company in the world. I mean, people use gmail knowing that EVERY email they write is scanned by google to sell ads...
Actually that is only part of the reason I moved to Apple after 25 years of Windows, the Apple operating system across all their devices and integration is matched by no one.

To each his own.
Apple is still selling your data like everyone else does.

To each his own.
Agreed... Pick your poison. Google IS and has been reading our emails for sure, along with all their other free services....

Pretty neat but it doesn’t sound like it would work for stolen items as it will notify the thief (if he has an iPhone) that an Airtag is nearby and then he could find and remove it.

This is a very odd offering from a company that promotes user privacy in their commercials.

Can you tell your Iphone not to connect to stranger's tags? Because obviously that also discloses the location of your Iphone.
It might not work that way. They might "bounce" your signal using the tag's id to the cell tower without revealing your phone's id or location.

This is a very odd offering from a company that promotes user privacy in their commercials.

Can you tell your Iphone not to connect to stranger's tags? Because obviously that also discloses the location of your Iphone.
That is the whole premise of how it works. BLE only has a few feet of range. I question how well it would work in a rural area.

Google stopped doing that in 2017. And they never did it on business accounts.
Very interesting, I didnt know this and you are correct. HOWEVER, any of these big companies still invade your privacy and google is among the worst and google as of this article below allows trusted third party app developers to scan your emails.

Like I said many times, the general public could care less, give them a "free" service and they will sell their own children as long as no one finds out, of course then they will cry foul when something goes wrong and demand action.
or
They can pay for a private service. One who's income comes from something other then selling your own information.
Protonmail.com is one of them, they do offer a free scaled down version but you need to pay a annual fee for a robust service. Ironically much of the public could get by with a free version to try out anyway.

Bottom line, if you taking something for free, it isnt free ... https://www.maketecheasier.com/which-email-providers-scanning-emails/

Even if the above is "fixed" why on earth do people allow their information to be used?? Oh, that's right, its free, ha!

Pretty neat but it doesn’t sound like it would work for stolen items as it will notify the thief (if he has an iPhone) that an Airtag is nearby and then he could find and remove it.

So, you think dozens of iPhones are all receiving pings for my stuff as I walk through the grocery store? :eek::D:ROFLMAO:

My wife and I have allowed each other to be found using “find my iPhone”. When she’s taking longer with her gfs or on an errand than she said she would (by half hr plus, not mere minutes) I’ll inconspicuously check Find My IPhone and it’ll she me where she’s at and if she’s on her way. If her position was on the highway and not moving for a few minutes Id message her to make sure she’s ok.

I don’t always remember to tell my wife when I’m working late. Sometimes I’m stuck down on the deck plates or something emergent comes up and or I just plain forget to send a quick email or text. If she’s curious or worried she can check my location.

Neither of us is the jealous type and our lives pretty much revolves around family and work, so it works for us. I can see some of you balking at the loss of privacy, and that’s fine, too.

I’m very interested in these tags. One for each pair of our keys and a couple of others for, say, the kiddos’ back packs. We live in a good area, but, you know…cheap insurance.

So, you think dozens of iPhones are all receiving pings for my stuff as I walk through the grocery store? :eek::D:ROFLMAO:

From what I read your tag would have to be separated from your phone for a certain amount of time to prevent just that. The article I read used riding in a subway or bus as an example.

Yeah it’s important for everyone to remember this is not a GPS tracking device. It’s just a simple in expensive device with a long lasting battery and if you ever lose something or misplace something or even have one on a pet or possibly stolen you will have a chance of finding that item.
My wife proved this to me as I stated before when she put one in my truck for the fun of it without me knowing ha ha and as I drove around a semi rural area I passed by two gas stations a few miles apart where someone must have had an iPhone and it told my location and time at those two gas stations.

Yeah it’s important for everyone to remember this is not a GPS tracking device. It’s just a simple in expensive device with a long lasting battery and if you ever lose something or misplace something or even have one on a pet or possibly stolen you will have a chance of finding that item.
My wife proved this to me as I stated before when she put one in my truck for the fun of it without me knowing ha ha and as I drove around a semi rural area I passed by two gas stations a few miles apart where someone must have had an iPhone and it told my location and time at those two gas stations.
so this tag pinged.. off someone else's iphone? that sounds similar to the amazon sidewalk tech. sharing/borrowing a gps cordinate vs bandwidth

Airtag and iPhones use Bluetooth Low Energy to pick each other signals up without any user interaction. But it's low range so the tag has to be near neighboring iPhones in order for the phone to pick up the airtag signal where it sends the location data back to Apple's servers.

Tracking devices has been out for years now using the same tech. Apple seems to be getting the most scrutiny since they are advertising about privacy. They've implemented anti-stalking features to airtags even needing a firmware update to reduce the separation time from 3 days to 8-24 hours and even an Find My Android app.

so this tag pinged.. off someone else's iphone? that sounds similar to the amazon sidewalk tech. sharing/borrowing a gps cordinate vs bandwidth
Doesn’t sound similar to me at all. A ping off my iPhone compared to my next-door neighbor being connected to my home Internet connection.

As far as the post above this one, I really have not seen any scrutiny of Apple because of an air tag. A device that’s been around from other manufacturers for years now.
The only scrutiny I see is in Internet forums and that is far from the reality in public.

This air tag thing reminds me of when apple bought into the Nike fit band and had the software for it in the old iPhone's. Apple's experiment for the iwatch.. these air tags are another experiment of apple.. future will prevail the truth. Let's see how much further tech companies will brainwash us.

Forget it smartphones is beating a dead horse. Many of us caved years ago when we went to a smartphone but it didn't really start there. The day we went online with ourselves getting home internet making email accounts using the web, shopping online etc we made a digital footprint and started leaving "bread crumbs" for the big guys tech world and Gov't to learn about us.

Even before smartphones you were tracked with a "feature phone" if you were on a wireless carrier that ran a credit check on you they had your identity social and driver's license linking you to a phone esn imei etc and wireless number. GSM and sim cards made the game a bit easier. We all been duped and now we're bum hurt cause we can't go back. They got our facial recognition and fingerprints from our devices I'll never ever believe these are stored at device level.. they're in a cloud we're under 24/7 surveillance checking in every time we unlock our phone and tech. Chipped credit and debit cards. It'll never end.

Mask wearing was for the cameras in society to further enhance our facial recognition and tech proved that by incorporating facial unlock software updates to adopt to wearing a mask. No wonder its called a tracking cookie. Lots of crumbs we left

Back