Hagerty Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by grampi

What's a "use rider?"

You realize that Coverage like this is only for cars that are garage-kept and driven on a limited basis, generally for pleasure rides and hobby activities, right?

Pleasure generally means cruising starting and ending at your garage. Hobby activities generally mean to and from a car show.

If your car gets damaged at the Home Depot, McDonald's, supermarket, etc., the onus is on you to show how it related to the accepted uses.

The requirements were relaxing from the time I first got a classic policy to when I got American Collectors, but what AC offers is mileage and use tiers.

An area that was interesting to me was to use my cars for commuting. I have a short, benign commute, alternate DD vehicles, and good parking, but didn't want to lose coverage because of commuting. Because a commute isn't just a commute. It's driving out to lunch, running small errands on the way home, etc.

None of that is pleasure or hobby related in strict interpretation.

So the use tiers, which are essentially cost-added riders that allow increased use (risk). Up to 7500 miles per year.

Let's assume the worst. You are at fault and kill someone, and have a set of grocery and Home Depot bags in your car and a McDonald's cup in your cup holder. You've got a big bill now for liability as well as damage to your vehicle. Any insurance company will have an obligation to represent you but will also look at how to get out of the cash outlay as much as possible.

Now the burden of proof is on you that you were using the car for pleasure and not routine use, chores, shopping, etc. They may cover you, they may not. I'd hate to find out the hard way.

American Collectors freedom tier specifically allows limited general use.

https://americancollectors.com/wp-content/uploads/ACI_Collector_Car_Insurance.pdf

If I was caught in a bad place liability wise, I'd rather have to prove that I only use the car in a limited fashion, and have other DDs to my name, then to have to prove that what I was doing was for pleasure when it clearly wasn't.

I just did an online quote with American Collectors and they quoted me $444 a year...I guess what I need to do is get on the phone with these companies and start asking some very specific questions about what is covered and what is not...that is the only way I'm going to find out which company is right for my needs...

You might be less risk averse. I didn't get satisfactory answers from agents and felt that they were always weasel wording to at best give a "may cover" response when I'm signing a contract to protect my fiscal status and need a "will cover". IMO Freedom tiger gave that to me with a bit more surety. But $444 for one vehicle worth $20k seems high unless your driving record is suspect.

My 2c.

I have 5 old cars covered with Hagerty. Changed from JT Taylor since it was cheaper and less restrictive on the annual miles.
You have to provide photos of the cars.

Since I had so many cars, they wanted to see all the cars inside at once, so I had to take an odd pic showing them all in the warehouse.

I have used Hagerty for quite some time now for five cars. Two at $20,000, and three at $10,000 for a total premium of just a hair under $300/year.

Originally Posted by tbm3fan
I have used Hagerty for quite some time now for five cars. Two at $20,000, and three at $10,000 for a total premium of just a hair under $300/year.

All 5 vehicles are insured for under $300 a year? That doesn't sound right. Hagerty quoted me $563 a year for one vehicle and I have a clean driving record...

Check with American Modern Insurance https://www.amig.com/

I have been with them for 10 years and they are great - much better than Hagerty and the others. I have 6 cars on my classic policy and I pay $835 a year full coverage and I can drive them 5,000 miles a year (you can choose other mile plans as well). I am covered at my choice of agreed value so a total loss give me what I want and pay for. The cars on the policy are a 1994 Corvette ZR1, 2006 Corvette coupe, 1966 Cadillac Deville, 1932 Ford street rod, 1978 Jeep CJ7 and a 1987 Buick Grand National.

Haggerty, to me, was a complete hassle and they don't want you driving the car unless you are at a show or something.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Check with American Modern Insurance https://www.amig.com/

I have been with them for 10 years and they are great - much better than Hagerty and the others. I have 6 cars on my classic policy and I pay $835 a year full coverage and I can drive them 5,000 miles a year (you can choose other mile plans as well). I am covered at my choice of agreed value so a total loss give me what I want and pay for. The cars on the policy are a 1994 Corvette ZR1, 2006 Corvette coupe, 1966 Cadillac Deville, 1932 Ford street rod, 1978 Jeep CJ7 and a 1987 Buick Grand National.

Haggerty, to me, was a complete hassle and they don't want you driving the car unless you are at a show or something.

So other than mileage restrictions, do they have any other restrictions? I just did an online quote and they came up with $538 a year. I don't understand why my quotes are coming out so high for one vehicle when you guys are insuring multiple vehicles for less than my single vehicle quote, or just a few hundred $ more. Does having multiple vehicles on the same policy drop the premium that much?

Last edited:

All 5 vehicles are insured for under $300 a year? That doesn't sound right. Hagerty quoted me $563 a year for one vehicle and I have a clean driving record...

One sounds high and one sounds low. But the level of coverage is the difference perhaps. And somewhat deductible though I don't recall these guys letting you play as many games with that as the mainstream guys.

Originally Posted by GMBoy

So other than mileage restrictions, do they have any other restrictions? I just did an online quote and they came up with $538 a year. I don't understand why my quotes are coming out so high for one vehicle when you guys are insuring multiple vehicles for less than my single vehicle quote, or just a few hundred $ more. Does having multiple vehicles on the same policy drop the premium that much?

My interpretation of Hagerty was the same.

They all want very limited use related to classic car hobby aspects. Unless you have it IN WRITING that you can do anything else.

Yep, just renewed on July 7th. Mileage was never specified which really wouldn't matter since having 5 cars means hitting 2500 miles on one of them in a year has been impossible and will continue to be so.

Yep, just renewed on July 7th. Mileage was never specified which really wouldn't matter since having 5 cars means hitting 2500 miles on one of them in a year has been impossible and will continue to be so.

Mileage might not need to be specified but the type of use should be or else you're setting up for a denied claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back