Time to Shop Car Insurance. Reason to choose any certain carrier over another?

Just to be fair, isn’t it an industry-wide practice for auto insurance companies to attempt to minimize costs this way, especially when they think they’re dealing with a customer who’s unscrupulous or asleep?

Are there any auto insurers who specifically advertise the use of only OEM parts, or using the most expensive shops?

I have understood that the language “preferred body shop” tends to be translated as, “a shop the insurance co does lots of business with”, which *may* mean a repair of lower quality, but not necessarily. It may just mean that the insurance co gets a deal due to volume.

Due diligence on the part of the customer is needed. As with most things where you’re paying for a service, short cutting is likely if you don’t ask questions and demand no less than excellent work (because most people DONT ask questions, or care, and they know they can get away with it).
John. Maybe. My wife just got into a fender bender. Erie Ins told us to take the car to whatever shop we wanted. No hassle. Shop owner says they don't hassle him about using after-market parts.

Just to be fair, isn’t it an industry-wide practice for auto insurance companies to attempt to minimize costs this way, especially when they think they’re dealing with a customer who’s unscrupulous or asleep?

Are there any auto insurers who specifically advertise the use of only OEM parts, or using the most expensive shops?

I have understood that the language “preferred body shop” tends to be translated as, “a shop the insurance co does lots of business with”, which *may* mean a repair of lower quality, but not necessarily. It may just mean that the insurance co gets a deal due to volume.

Due diligence on the part of the customer is needed. As with most things where you’re paying for a service, short cutting is likely if you don’t ask questions and demand no less than excellent work (because most people DONT ask questions, or care, and they know they can get away with it).
John: Go check out some other cos. I felt awfully stupid when I found out how much USAA was over-charging. Of course, my mother-in-law thinks I'm already stupid, but put some jingle in your own pockets and quit paying Gronk for those goofy TV ads. I found a website loaded with ex-USAA customers who finally got smart and took a walk. If I come up with it, I'll post it here.

Master Chief: This? Did something accidentally get deleted?

Negative.

Was supporting this post.
B6A52E2F-A299-4E20-81EE-3AEB9AF82646.jpeg

John: Go check out some other cos. I felt awfully stupid when I found out how much USAA was over-charging. Of course, my mother-in-law thinks I'm already stupid, but put some jingle in your own pockets and quit paying Gronk for those goofy TV ads. I found a website loaded with ex-USAA customers who finally got smart and took a walk. If I come up with it, I'll post it here.
For John: While I did not yet find the website for ex-USAA customers, I did find one called "Glassdoor" that had reviews by employees of what currently goes on inside the corporate offices. There is also a reference on the 'net about the past president, Stuart Parker, being handed a $6.5 million severance package just to get packing.

For John: While I did not yet find the website for ex-USAA customers, I did find one called "Glassdoor" that had reviews by employees of what currently goes on inside the corporate offices. There is also a reference on the 'net about the past president, Stuart Parker, being handed a $6.5 million severance package just to get packing.
I've heard of Glassdoor, but didn't know what it was.

I'm sure there's some accurate information on there, but don't we also have to take what's said there with a grain of salt? Seems like a great place for a disgruntled employee to blow off some steam.

BTW I never served in the military, and have never had USAA. It's just been of interest to me because, over the years, I've known a lot of current and former military folks who have used USAA for insurance, auto loans, etc.

Among the folks I've talked to who used USAA, it was presented as something that was a huge benefit to its customers - low rates, special, almost white-glove service, special and unique benefits, etc. It seemed like you were really missing out if you never served and couldn't be considered for membership in this special, exclusive club.

But, from what I'm hearing here, maybe they're taking advantage of this special status and reputation that's been conveyed upon them, and using it to stick it to their loyal members/customers???

I'm sure there's some accurate information on there, but don't we also have to take what's said there with a grain of salt? Seems like a great place for a disgruntled employee to blow off some steam.

BTW I never served in the military, and have never had USAA. It's just been of interest to me because, over the years, I've known a lot of current and former military folks who have used USAA for insurance, auto loans, etc.

Among the folks I've talked to who used USAA, it was presented as something that was a huge benefit to its customers - low rates, special, almost white-glove service, special and unique benefits, etc. It seemed like you were really missing out if you never served and couldn't be considered for membership in this special, exclusive club.

But, from what I'm hearing here, maybe they're taking advantage of this special status and reputation that's been conveyed upon them, and using it to stick it to their loyal members/customers???
I think your last sentence says it all. Taking advantage is a good way to put it. The more loyal you were, the more you pay.

Just got my auto renewal yesterday and as expected its up around 20%. Our state is essentially owned by the insurance industry and the legislature scammed the residents a couple of years ago with some BS 'reform" legislation of auto insurance. As I predicted my rates never went down and have now risen by over 20% Gotta love it when politicians "Fix" things for us.
This is the same industry that says my 8yr old car with 110k on it costs more than a brand new 3500 Silverado to insure.

Just got my auto renewal yesterday and as expected its up around 20%. Our state is essentially owned by the insurance industry and the legislature scammed the residents a couple of years ago with some BS 'reform" legislation of auto insurance. As I predicted my rates never went down and have now risen by over 20% Gotta love it when politicians "Fix" things for us.
This is the same industry that says my 8yr old car with 110k on it costs more than a brand new 3500 Silverado to insure.
Time to take a walk to another company

We have had good luck using an insurance broker . Let him do the searching and he gives us a list of companies with their rates .

I left USAA about three years ago after being a loyal member for 35 years.

"We have the best service" they claim. Well, they totaled a car that they had valued at half the KBB by comparing it to a low trim, high mileage rust bucket (Market adjustment they said) even though it was a southern car, heavily optioned, and I had every record from the day it came off the boat on overseas delivery. They hosed me on that deal, in 2004. I haven't forgotten. They insisted on using cheap aftermarket parts on my Ford Expedition when it was damaged by a falling tree (hurricane). The body shop did their best, but the hood never fit right.

The final insult: I got my annual bill: $4,000. Now, I had, at the time, 5 cars, and 4 drivers (the Packard is on a separate policy, USAA won't insure it). Clean record. No claims in 20 years except for the tree and being hit in the totaled Volvo. No traffic violations.

$4,000.

So, I called GEICO. Same exact coverage, to the penny, for every car, with identical use and miles driven.

$1,650.

I asked USAA if they could match that. Not only no, but rudely no. "We have the best service" they said. Not in my experience. They lowballed my car, insisted on crappy parts for another repair. That's not even good service, much less the "best". "We charge what Virginia allows" they said. Sure, that's what VA allows you to charge, but that's a maximum, and not a good place to start if you want to keep a good, long term customer.

I cannot believe I was paying nearly double for car insurance! I wish I had compared sooner. Perhaps I could've been paying less for a lot longer.

Being called by my retired rank on the phone is a nice touch, but it sure as heck isn't worth over $2,000/year.

USAA Auto Insurance lost me forever.

Because I saved so much with the bundle, they lost my homeowner's and Umbrella policies as well. It wasn't a small amount of business. Look at my signature, I insure a lot of cars. Just not with USAA.

Don't even get me started on USAA Investment services giving my ex-wife access to my money market account after I asked them to be frozen and her access removed.

USAA Investment services lost me forever. I have a net worth that they would very much like to manage now, but I cannot ever trust them. Schwab, Vanguard, and T. Rowe Price have my business.

Whatever made USAA great in the past is no longer there. Service, cost, trust; all are gone.

Utterly gone.

I left USAA about three years ago after being a loyal member for 35 years.

"We have the best service" they claim. Well, they totaled a car that they had valued at half the KBB by comparing it to a low trim, high mileage rust bucket (Market adjustment they said) even though it was a southern car, heavily optioned, and I had every record from the day it came off the boat on overseas delivery. They hosed me on that deal, in 2004. I haven't forgotten. They insisted on using cheap aftermarket parts on my Ford Expedition when it was damaged by a falling tree (hurricane). The body shop did their best, but the hood never fit right.

The final insult: I got my annual bill: $4,000. Now, I had, at the time, 5 cars, and 4 drivers (the Packard is on a separate policy, USAA won't insure it). Clean record. No claims in 20 years except for the tree and being hit in the totaled Volvo. No traffic violations.

$4,000.

So, I called GEICO. Same exact coverage, to the penny, for every car, with identical use and miles driven.

$1,650.

I asked USAA if they could match that. Not only no, but rudely no. "We have the best service" they said. Not in my experience. They lowballed my car, insisted on crappy parts for another repair. That's not even good service, much less the "best". "We charge what Virginia allows" they said. Sure, that's what VA allows you to charge, but that's a maximum, and not a good place to start if you want to keep a good, long term customer.

I cannot believe I was paying nearly double for car insurance! I wish I had compared sooner. Perhaps I could've been paying less for a lot longer.

Being called by my retired rank on the phone is a nice touch, but it sure as heck isn't worth over $2,000/year.

USAA Auto Insurance lost me forever.

Because I saved so much with the bundle, they lost my homeowner's and Umbrella policies as well. It wasn't a small amount of business. Look at my signature, I insure a lot of cars. Just not with USAA.

Don't even get me started on USAA Investment services giving my ex-wife access to my money market account after I asked them to be frozen and her access removed.

USAA Investment services lost me forever. I have a net worth that they would very much like to manage now, but I cannot ever trust them. Schwab, Vanguard, and T. Rowe Price have my business.

Whatever made USAA great in the past is no longer there. Service, cost, trust; all are gone.

Utterly gone.
That is always their standard line about how great their service is. Fact is, their service stinks.
Prices: Our Total premiums, including homeowners, dropped from $4000 to just under $2000. They think you're too dumb to check around.
I got tired of being screwed. Who pays for those annoying TV commercials anyway?

USAA is NOT the same company it was 41 years ago when I graduated from Naval Officer Candidate School back in the mid-70's

Last edited:
Time to take a walk to another company
It wasnt just the company I am currently with, this is happening all over due to the "reform"
I shop my insurance regularly, I have no loyalty to anyone when it comes to insurance and have scratched a couple off the list permanently for previous egregious acts.

Isn’t GEICO known as a “discount” insurance company?

I’ve often wondered if anything is lost, in terms of service, with a so-called “discount” insurance co.

My wife and I got married in April 2020, and, until January of this year, she was with Progressive, and, when she was rear-ended in December of last year, rather than dealing with “Acceptance Insurance” (the company the guy who hit her was insured by), we filed with Progressive and allowed it to be handled by them. And in my opinion, it was handled well.

Now, her Civic was totaled, so we didn’t find out whether we would have gotten a fight from Progressive about using OEM parts (which I informed both Progressive and the body shop that I wanted).

I’ve often wondered if anything is lost, in terms of service, with a so-called “discount” insurance co.

My wife and I got married in April 2020, and, until January of this year, she was with Progressive, and, when she was rear-ended in December of last year, rather than dealing with “Acceptance Insurance” (the company the guy who hit her was insured by), we filed with Progressive and allowed it to be handled by them. And in my opinion, it was handled well.

Now, her Civic was totaled, so we didn’t find out whether we would have gotten a fight from Progressive about using OEM parts (which I informed both Progressive and the body shop that I wanted).
What's a discount insurance company? They have to provide the same insurance coverage as everyone else. Insurance agents get a 10% cut from the insurance companies. Geico just does direct and doesn't have any agents that do business with other auto insurance companies. All their agents work directly for Geico. So they basically save 10% although probably less. As you can always reach them on the phone, I've called them at 10pm at night to put insurance on a car I had just bought. Try that with a regular insurance agent. I've shopped around they've been the cheapest. Allstate was close, but they were only $50 cheaper for one year due to a $100 new customer discount, but they would have been $50 more in the 2nd year and I didn't want to bother switching back and forth to save just $50.

I've worked with GEICO in the repair industry before and they will make every attempt to use recycled and the cheapest aftermarket parts for any and all repairs. Same with Progressive and Allstate. I don't think you can even buy an all OEM-rider with any of their policies. Some companies Like Auto Owners, Amica, State Farm and the smaller ones might have the all OEM option.

Ever see a bumper cover wider than the vehicle its supposed to fit on? A Chinese fender that weights 10 lbs. less than an OEM.? I'd pay extra to have OEM.

Like Wolf359 said, GEICO is cheaper because there is no middle man. Their 24/7 service is good and they will cover your loss like any other insurance company but will fight tooth and nail to save $1.

I think the best approach is to shop around every few years to see what the rates are with different companies.

What's a discount insurance company? They have to provide the same insurance coverage as everyone else. Insurance agents get a 10% cut from the insurance companies. Geico just does direct and doesn't have any agents that do business with other auto insurance companies. All their agents work directly for Geico. So they basically save 10% although probably less. As you can always reach them on the phone, I've called them at 10pm at night to put insurance on a car I had just bought. Try that with a regular insurance agent. I've shopped around they've been the cheapest. Allstate was close, but they were only $50 cheaper for one year due to a $100 new customer discount, but they would have been $50 more in the 2nd year and I didn't want to bother switching back and forth to save just $50.

They are a disaster to deal with. NO-INSURANCE IS "NOT UNIVERSAL INSURANCE". You are not buying a bag of potato chips-you are making a decision that could affect the rest of your life should certain "situation(s) happen. I had a lady hit me who had Geico-it was a complete disaster-I ended up making a claim through my own insurance. See "Owen's Lucas" post above.

I guess the more assets one has to protect-the more knowledgeable one becomes in this regard.

Two days ago I ended a 26 year relationship with American Family for car insurance. They just wanted an outrageous amount to insure the Venza for 6 Months. American Family $579 for 6 months. Geico $404 for 6 months with more optional coverages. I even got a $23 discount because I am a member of a National Fraternity that they have a marketing relationship agreement with. I now have rental car coverage and underinsured motorist coverage which I didn't have with Amer Family.

So we will go this way for a while.

Back