Had to try the G-Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: electrolover
if you want to run your engine on corn oil and animal fat go for it. what i think is my opinion and i have a right to it. its completely different than any grp II or III so how can you judge it with conventional testing? let me see what the engines that use it look like after tear down and then i might change my mind

Yes indeed, we are all entitled to our opinions. I just just trying to determine if yours was informed by fact or subjective and based on ignorance. I'll leave it to the other readers of this thread to make their own call on that.

I'm curious why you think conventional testing won't tell us anything about this oil. First, do you think the API would certify it if their testing didn't accurately "qualify" it in the same way it does other oils? Second, despite differences in the chemical composition, don't you think the tests still detect the presence and quantity of wear metals, moisture, and other chemicals?

i got the underhanded ignorant crack. good one
smile.gif

my view is pure speculation and based off of common sence.
im not a chemist or anything. but common sense tells you if you throw bacon fat or cooking oil in a pan it will burn before crude oil will. thats what the stuff is made from. sure i bet they did all kinds of stuff to it but when those additives go away you got fat and corn oil in your sump.
it might be the future of oil..
think ill leave the testing for someone else if thats ok
i mean have you torn down a g oil engine with 100k on it???? you dont know what you will find til you do.

i got the underhanded ignorant crack. good one
smile.gif

my view is pure speculation and based off of common NON sence.
im not a chemist or anything. but common sense tells you if you throw bacon fat or cooking oil in a pan it will burn before crude oil will. thats what the stuff is made from. sure i bet they did all kinds of stuff to it but when those additives go away you got fat and corn oil in your sump.
it might be the future of oil..
think ill leave the testing for someone else if thats ok
i mean have you torn down a g oil engine with 100k on it???? you dont know what you will find til you do.

Oh do come on... Are you trolling? I mean seriously... Do actually believe that drivel you're spewing? Bacon fat? That's udder (pun intended) nonsense. There's already very promising UOA's on a turbo'ed Volvo saying that it's not too darn bad so far. The simple fact is that science has evolved beyond the butcher's block and the frying pan. If the API says it's good enough for at least an SM rating, then that means it's as least as good as the overwhelming majority of other SM oils.

have you tried it yet? give it a shot and post any findings. im gonna hang in the back with the women on this one.
maybe it was a little hasty to call it garbage but its not proven yet.
i mean just cause some little company pops up with something new and passes a couple lab tests doesnt mean its a good oil yet. if you wanna swallow it go for it. im not ready to yet.

real motor oil companies do extensive engine testing with tear downs and multiple evaluations before they ever let it hit the shelf. if G oil has done these i must have missed it because i have not seen anything on dino tests with thousands of hours or taxicab company testing or any of that. just a racecar on the bottle with a different brand of oil in the dry sump and a free oil promo.

think im done talkin about it, but i encourage you to use it.

i mean just cause some little company pops up with something new and passes a couple lab tests doesnt mean its a good oil yet. if you wanna swallow it go for it. im not ready to yet.

To carry the API license, the oil has been "proven" to be safe for use in an automobile.

It is a high end Group V synthetic base stock. Do you question Redline because it contains Group V synthetic base?

have you tried it yet? give it a shot and post any findings. im gonna hang in the back with the women on this one.

real motor oil companies do extensive engine testing with tear downs and multiple evaluations before they ever let it hit the shelf. if G oil has done these i must have missed it because i have not seen anything on dino tests with thousands of hours or taxicab company testing or any of that. just a racecar on the bottle with a different brand of oil in the dry sump and a free oil promo.

You were hasty, but on the other hand it does still have a long road ahead of it yet.

As for "passes a couple of lab tests" LULZ....

The truth is very few of us know anything about G.E.T. and what their background testing consisted of. For we know it could have been limited to the "finger test", or it could have been countless hours in the lab and on the pavement... Too assume the worst, then tout it is the gospel is retarded and not what BITOG is about. If you have your reservations that's fine, but say so and leave it at that if you've nothing to support it.

You go ahead hang back with the women. I do intend on trying it and will soon enough...

In order to get the API certification, an oil does have to pass a variety of engine tests, so it's not like G-Oil has not been tested in engines. But the API tests are not the only duty cycles that an oil can be put through, and getting the certification stamp only assures a minimum level of performance. ACEA and dexos requirements are more stringent.

For the record, the API 'certified for gasoline engine" starbust is conspicuously absent from the G-oil label. I have no idea what it means and why, but stating the fact.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
For the record, the API 'certified for gasoline engine" starbust is conspicuously absent from the G-oil label. I have no idea what it means and why, but stating the fact.

If you don't know what it means, then why are you making a big deal about it being absent? Just trying to get your post count up?

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

If you don't know what it means, then why are you making a big deal about it being absent? Just trying to get your post count up?

What is your problem, old man?

If I'm correct, the starburst tells you whether an oil is ILSAC certified or not. To quote a document about the API system, "An oil displaying this mark meets the current engine protection standard and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), a joint effort of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers."

While the observation is correct, before using to "take a cut" at G-OIL, keep in mind that Amsoil Signature Series oils do not carry either certifications yet are arguably some of the best motor oils available.

The "starburst", or engergy conserving API designation may be missing simply because the company has not yet completed the tests.
Esters do reduce friction, so I would expect this oil to merit the starburst.
I have two FAR jugs of this stuff in the stash, so I'll find out for myself in the near future.
This is a Grp V at a reasonable price, and is thus intriguing.
No need to get into ad hominem attacks, gentlemen.
Also, an '11 member really shouldn't be going after an '03 member who has posted only when he had something significant to post.
I'm sure he'd have a five figure post count did he choose to comment on everything he saw here.

I'm just saying that if you're trying to say something about an oil, then say something. But if you don't know what the absence of a marking means, then why point out that it's missing? You might as well say that the bottle is black. That's stating a fact, although one that doesn't mean much.

I'm just saying that if you're trying to say something about an oil, then say something. But if you don't know what the absence of a marking means, then why point out that it's missing? You might as well say that the bottle is black. That's stating a fact, although one that doesn't mean much.

I don't understand why you are trying so hard to pick a fight. There are a lot of posts on BITOG that merely state a fact. Do you always have a problem with that?

To reiterate, known facts about G-oil: bottle is black and has no API starburst. This may or may not mean anything. Is this going to get me banned from BITOG?

I don't see what the problem is.....a lot of people have accumulated this G-Oil, for free, through FAR so they should use it and post the results.

After all they went through all the trouble of sending in the rebate along with the UPC and receipt so now they should load up to see how well it runs in the Summer and Winter and let the rest of the board know the results.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The "starburst", or engergy conserving API designation may be missing simply because the company has not yet completed the tests.

Not so according to the press release dated 10/2009: http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10386054-54.html

This is why find the missing symbol puzzling. Maybe this FAR deal is to clean old batch that predated pretesting, or they forgot to revise the label, or they want to use old labels. Why knows short of asking them.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I don't see what the problem is.....a lot of people have accumulated this G-Oil, for free, through FAR so they should use it and post the results.

After all they went through all the trouble of sending in the rebate along with the UPC and receipt so now they should load up to see how well it runs in the Summer and Winter and let the rest of the board know the results.

They've got to get through some more of their stash. Basic rotation of stock. But I have seen a few "G-Oils" in signatures and the "Recent Oil Change" thread. I like to paroos throught that thread every now and again. I'm sure a UOA will be soon to come.

Good find.
According to http://www.api.org/aboutoilgas/motoroil/api-quality-marks.cfm

Quote:
The API Certification Mark
The API Certification Mark "Starburst" is designed to identify engine oils recommended for a specific application (such as gasoline service). An oil may be licensed to display the Starburst only if the oil satisfies the most current requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) minimum performance standard for this application (currently GF-4 for passenger cars). Many automobile manufacturers recommend oils that carry the API Certification Mark

Lack of starburst means lack of GF-4 certification. The best I can figure it out, this passed API-SM and failed or didn't qualify for ILSAC-GF4.

There are a few possibilities, but like other people said, fuel efficiency is most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back