Had to kill a rattle snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Pretty darn easy to differentiate the venomous ones from the harmless ones.

I disagree. Everywhere is different and not everybody is a snake expert. A lot of them look very much alike. The "harmless" ones often look like the bad ones on purpose - they're trying to trick you. Even if they are not venomous they will often give you a nasty painful bite.

There is really no need for the "harmless" snakes to be around anymore than the bad ones. It's like killing a mouse. They're pests, whether dangerous or not. People will try to argue they kill rodents or something else ridiculous - we have much better ways of dealing with rodents than snakes.

As far as I'm concerned the world would be better off if they all went extinct.

The sad but undeniable fact is, that if I said the same about you, I'd be making a lot more sense.

Nothing personal. I'd still be making sense if I said it about me, though probably not quite so much.

Around my area, we get mostly harmless to human garter snakes. I always leave them alone, they do feast on insects, so good in my books.
It's too darn cold in the winter for more poisonous versions.
I guess there is some benefit to -40F winters.

whistle.gif

My aunt and uncle had a dairy farm and I remember being really excited to visit there when I was around 7 years old, thinking I'd have all that land to just run amok and do whatever I wanted to.
Right after arrived, my cousin (about 10 years older) told me to keep an eye out for timber rattlers and let him know if I saw one so he could kill it.
I decided that playing around the farmhouse and barn would me more than enough fun for me...

As a kid , I was raised on a farm until 5th or 6th grade . The farm adjoined a LARGE pasture on 2 sides . No doubt about it , there were rarrlers in the pasture .

In the summer , chopping / hoeing cotton , the closer you got too the pasture , the higher the odds of running into a snake , probably a rattle snake .

As a kid , I was tough , if I saw a snake , run if I was far enough away from it . Stand absolutely still if I was too close to run . No matter what kind of snake . Parents did not want to trust the ability of a child to tell one kind of snake from another .

Dad would kill rattle snakes .

Around the house & barn , we occasionally had a barn snake . Not much else .

Thank you for caring. I think many people would kill it without a second thought because "snakes are scary".

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How often do you see them?
I see them often out in the desert. This was the 2nd one I have seen at a house since 1974. The 1st one was on my porch. We corralled him into a can and relocated him miles away in the desert. But just because I didnt see more does not mean they didnt see me.

I'm terrified of snakes and always have been I was bit as a kid and ever since then I said heck with that. If I can run like a girl I will and if I have something to kill them I will. I tell everyone my fear is biblical. The devil was a serpent so my fear is rational. Make me feel better
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Frankly would rather have that then rodents... I can't imagine it is the only one around either.

Is the daycare legit? If so, then I'd think they would have a pro support keeping undesirable things away.

Rodents bring the snakes. In my outbuildings I use electronic pest controllers
and the snakes left too. Like the op I try not to kill anything but venomous
snakes are not to be played with.

I wouldn't feel that bad. We have to kill water moccasins where we live quite often. Sadly, there are a lot of people who also kill king snakes and more common around here speckled king snakes, which would love to eat a moccasin for breakfast.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Anyone remember that episode of Walker, Texas Ranger when a bad guy lobbed a rattler into Walker's pickup? It bit him too!

And after 3 days of agonizing pain, the snake died, right?

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted By: Kira
Anyone remember that episode of Walker, Texas Ranger when a bad guy lobbed a rattler into Walker's pickup? It bit him too!

And after 3 days of agonizing pain, the snake died, right?

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: fcjeep

What methods do you all use to kill these snakes?

This one left the doorstep heading towards neighbors boat launch … hit him at WOT from 30 feet … .410 with 4 shot …

Last edited:
Situation permitting & if I had one handy , a 12 gauge shotgun . I have a pump with cylinder bore . Throws a wide pattern .

My late Dad killed a number of snakes with a hoe , while chopping cotton ( on the farm ) . Ages ago .

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I'm terrified of snakes and always have been I was bit as a kid and ever since then I said heck with that. If I can run like a girl I will and if I have something to kill them I will. I tell everyone my fear is biblical. The devil was a serpent so my fear is rational. Make me feel better
smile.gif

Couple years ago, I had a Rostered Day off that coincided with my wife being off, so we went out for lunch (town's not big, so we walked).

As we were walking home, holding hands, I stepped out off the path into the middle of the road, and tried to move her out too without drawing attention.

"What on Earth are you doing ?"

"Making sure that we don't step on that tiger snake over there".

She looked, and froze solid...I could NOT move her...paralysed with fear, I've heard of, just never seen.

Snake saw us and moved to the brush, and as soon as it was gone, she walked straight past it, still on the path...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back